I just drove 560km on a full tank of Shell v power 95 gasoline. Is this economical? Whats the diff between 95 and 91?

38 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

My Avanza Model 2014 is running perfectly well on E20 and is at Odometer 115000 km now. Still going strong.

We had a 1.5 Yaris 2009 and later can't remember when our local PTT station got E20 but we could use it, never a problem using different fuels as the ECU adjust the fueling.

It's best to stick with same fuel though if you can.

Our daughters City can use E85 but our PTT stopped stocking it, so she stays with E20

Sounds rubbish economy to me.

My Ranger 2.2 Diesel cost around 1700 to fill from empty. When filled the computer says 870 km. Having kept a note of the odometer when filled that mileage estimate was fairly accurate, turned out to be around 800. 

19 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Is my NV a sports car ?

It requires 95

95 has nothing to do with "sports cars".

Modern engine control usually can cope with both knock strengths (91 and 95).

But as these motors have a higher compression ratio, 95 is recommended.

Basically all new cars (except Diesel of course) sold in Thailand over the past 10 years or more can run with Gasohol 95.

The family runs the 17 year old Vios on Gasohol 95.

I still wait for the breakdown.

VPower to me is nothing but marketing razzle-dazzle.

I have a small Mazda 2 from 2011 (125000 km), ran on E20 for years, currently on Gasohol 95 as it makes more sense price-wise (compared on consumption).

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Warning Will robinson, Warning!!

The recent rebrand at PTT means that what was "diesel" is now labelled as "B7" and what is now labelled as "diesel" is actually B10. There is also a premium diesel which I understand is also B7 (could be wrong there, never use the stuff).

B20 is still available "out back" on the truck pumps.

Indeed I was puzzled that "Premium" is also B7.

Just another magic stuff like VPower.

B20 is still available "out back" on the truck pumps

? "Still" available.

Has just been introduced last year as THE cheap stuff for whatever purpose (tractor, Kubota?). Didn't exist before.

Many Diesel trucks seem incompatible. Filters clogged quickly, shorter service intervals bla bla...

This is the full range of fuels currently marketed by PTT.

Few stations will have all.

"Diesel B7" suitable for all Diesel motors.

"Gasohol 95" suitable for almost all non Diesel cars.

"E20" (95 octane or better) for most cars built since 2010 or so (check filler cap).

"E85" for "flexfuel" specified cars (more and more over the years). But check carefully.

Pure Benzene/Petrol (95 octane, black on yellow, 34.06 Baht) has become rare. Only major stations.

Prices are "starting prices", up to one Baht more depending on location.

Screenshot_20210419-114817_PTT Station.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course not, they try to differentiate between products and prices are rarely the same

I have just driven past 6 or more petrol stations. Every one showed the same prices.

Is it not determined by the Government and the prices shown on TV every morning?

Edited by KannikaP

it all  depends how you drive,what kind of car, how much weight you have in the car,road conditions,stop and go, use of air condition etc.

You can own 2 exact same car and both will use different amount of gasoline. Even the day and night driving will make difference. Usually Hybrid cars do 30KM on a single charge, again it all depends how you drive. Younger drivers use hybrid power when they pass a car or for quick take off. On the 2 way road to pass a car with hybrid car is not a smart way with only gasoline mode since there will be not enough horsepower for quick speed up, electric motor will give you extra power for quick pass. 

When it comes to se high octane gasoline. For sure it will be different than the low octane. High octane burns better and today's high tech cars will perform better on high octane gasoline and engine combustion chamber and injectors will stay clean longer.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Except Mr Verstappen yesterday.

The less said about that, the better.

Not taking anything away from Max - he drove brilliantly but I couldn't believe my ears when firstly, the Sky commentators said there was nothing wrong with the overtake and secondly, the stewards agreed!

If you watch the video of the incident, Verstappen forces Hamilton onto the kerb, not just slightly - right on to it. Its not even questionable, its blatant - reminiscent of the Max we used to know.

What happend to having to leave a car width?  That manoeuvre deserved at least a 10 second stop-go penalty.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKr said:

Could not tell you whether 560 km on a tank of fuel is economical because I always put 1.000 Baht of Fuel what looks rather economical to me.

Have you not got some sort of read-out which tells you the current and average fuel consumption?

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The less said about that, the better.

Not taking anything away from Max - he drove brilliantly but I couldn't believe my ears when firstly, the Sky commentators said there was nothing wrong with the overtake and secondly, the stewards agreed!

If you watch the video of the incident, Verstappen forces Hamilton onto the kerb, not just slightly - right on to it. Its not even questionable, its blatant - reminiscent of the Max we used to know.

What happend to having to leave a car width?  That manoeuvre deserved at least a 10 second stop-go penalty.

And don't forget that after that incident Lewis' car was completely damaged at the front, heck during the playback I even saw chunks of the front flying away! Yet Lewis was still taking seconds from Max.... It's crazy! 

And later when the mistake, being P7 or P8 and going all the way to P2..... There is nothing else like Lewis in F1. 

Sure the Mercedes is the best car, but look what Valtteri does with it, a Williams was about to pass him! a Williams!!!!!! 

Anyone saying Hamilton just has had always had good luck because of the car is out of his mind. Best car + Best pilot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"E85" for "flexfuel" specified cars (more and more over the years). But check carefully.

If taking the energy content into account E85 is more expensive than 91/95/E20.

The only reason to get E85 is if it's a rental car and you are refilling before returning it (if the car can take E85 of course...)

E20 is the cheapest (when looking at the energy content), so this is what you want to get with nearly every vehicle built in the last few years (check the owners manual if the vehicle takes 20% Ethanol...)

91 costs only slightly more though, so if somebody is afraid of Ethanol that's an alternative ????

On 4/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, KannikaP said:

The capacity of the fuel tank would also help.

That’s actually the only information needed apart from how far he got on one tank.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Sounds like you bought something along the lines of a Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid. The low mileage on electric drive alone is typical for that car. Best case scenario is 50 kilometers if you snail along. The Panamera tank takes 80 liters of fuel, which means the car in your case needed 14.28 liters per 100km. Depending on your driving style and where you drive the car that sounds reasonable. Heavy gas foot and inner city or freeway are never your best friend when it comes to fuel economy. The Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid  for example is listed as needing only 2.5 liters per 100km, the reality is more like 4 and that is 50 clicks on electric only at 80km/h and the rest you snail on the petrol engine. On a racetrack or on the freeway the consumption goes up to 30 liters in a heartbeat.

Edited by pacovl46

On 4/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, expatjustice said:

This honestly means nothing without knowing at least the weight of the car and the type of engine (in-line 4, V6, in-line 6,….) and the make of the car would also help.

Ah, also helps to know how big the tank is. Duh. 

• Like 1

rule of thumb - use lowest octane available that doesn't cause engine ping. and how do people measure mileage on full tank anyway? do they drive until they run out of gas? just use a simple and far more accurate measure. supervise the fill and don't let them top off tank like they always do - floods carbon filter. drive car till near empty. supervise fill again and then calculate mileage. several times and you'll get average. 

On 4/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, Ralf001 said:

2000b fill up @ 34.14b/l (today's price) is 58lt.

Friend new E-Class hybrid has a 60lt tank, he says its not good on fuel once the battery is flat.... something like 30mpg, so not all that far off from what the OP states..

Of course it depends how fast he drives and what mode he uses ... but unless he is rather heavy footed he should get considerable more than 12-13kms/ltr.. we certainly do.

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Have you not got some sort of read-out which tells you the current and average fuel consumption?

two even, but can’t be bothered to look for those because then TVM would not know I have a new car.

• Confused 1