I just drove 560km on a full tank of Shell v power 95 gasoline. Is this economical? Whats the diff between 95 and 91?

On 4/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, natway09 said:

It must be an old model if using 95.

I just got 630 KM on a full tank of E20 (Honda Civic , 10 years old)

I think 95 is being phased out next year

Means nothing until you say the capacity of your tank.

22 hours ago, sencelebi said:

it all  depends how you drive,what kind of car, how much weight you have in the car,road conditions,stop and go, use of air condition etc.

You can own 2 exact same car and both will use different amount of gasoline. Even the day and night driving will make difference. Usually Hybrid cars do 30KM on a single charge, again it all depends how you drive. Younger drivers use hybrid power when they pass a car or for quick take off. On the 2 way road to pass a car with hybrid car is not a smart way with only gasoline mode since there will be not enough horsepower for quick speed up, electric motor will give you extra power for quick pass. 

When it comes to se high octane gasoline. For sure it will be different than the low octane. High octane burns better and today's high tech cars will perform better on high octane gasoline and engine combustion chamber and injectors will stay clean longer.

"On the 2 way road to pass a car with hybrid car is not a smart way with only gasoline mode since there will be not enough horsepower for quick speed up..."

What?  Doesn't that depend entirely on the power of the IC engine?   They're not all the same!  How does a "2 way road" [sic] affect anything?

"...today's high tech cars will perform better on high octane gasoline..."

Using higher octane fuel than is recommended does not affect a cars performance in any significant way at all, regardless of whether the car has a modern engine or an older engine.

• Like 1

To answer the OP question is his car economical? well the answer is a BIG NO. Now if he had obtained a 2.8lt Toyota Tuner and put in 2000bht worth of Shell V power diesel he could have traveled well over 1000km. Or around double what the OP got. My Tuner returns around 6.1 LT = 100 km on a run. Not just once all the time. Must admit I don't go much more than 110kph on normal roads 120kph on M Ways due to all the cameras and use C/C as much a poss. To save you working it out that's around 45/6 miles per Imp Gallon. I think great for a tank of a motor.  

Edited by fredob43

On 4/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, jackdd said:

No point, you are just wasting money. But some people claim they can "feel" the difference ????

You didn't say which type of luxury car you bought, but if it's some sport car it might require Gasohol 95, instead of 91, your owners manual or your tank cap will tell you.

I drive an MG ZS. It can take E85. I calculated mileage and economy when I first got it. E85 was the winner. E20 was awful. I settled on E85, and use a bit of 91 if the tank is low and E85 isn't available. 

Recently, I was planning to drive to Chiang Rai from CM. I figured I might want a bit more power going over the mountains. So, filling up the day before, I put in 600 baht of E85, and 100 baht of 95. This was 7 out of 8 bars on the fuel guage, not full. 

I keep the readout of "km left" up. When I left the pumps, it showed 388 km in the tank. As I drove, as the computer "tasted" the 95, the readout rose to 425, a jump of 37, or nearly 10%. That took about five minutes. I figure it knows immediately how much fuel is there, using a float or some conventional method, then the computer calculates again based on the current fuel mix. 

I don't know whether raising the octane or lowering the alcohol/petrol ratio is responsible for the improved mileage (and performance), but it seems to work. 

4 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I calculated mileage and economy when I first got it. E85 was the winner. E20 was awful.

If this is your result, then your math is probably wrong.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I figured I might want a bit more power going over the mountains. So, filling up the day before, I put in 600 baht of E85, and 100 baht of 95.

I recommend to press the gas pedal slightly stronger, this actually gives you noticeable more power.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If this is your result, then your math is probably wrong.

My math is fine, but I neglected to say that E85 won on economy, X_baht/100km, not on km/l or liters/100km. I forget which measure of mileage I used. That's only possible because of the much cheaper price per liter of E85. 

2 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

My math is fine, but I neglected to say that E85 won on economy, X_baht/100km, not on km/l or liters/100km. I forget which measure of mileage I used. That's only possible because of the much cheaper price per liter of E85. 

Taking the energy content of Ethanol vs Petrol into consideration, the math to compare E20 with E85 looks like this.

25.14THB*((85/1.5+15)/(20/1.5+80)) = 19.3THB

I take the fuel prices posted on the previous page, E20: 25.14, E85: 21.09

If E85 would cost less than 19.3THB it would be cheaper, but considering that it costs 21.09THB, it's about 9% more expensive than E20.

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

To answer the OP question is his car economical? well the answer is a BIG NO. Now if he had obtained a 2.8lt Toyota Tuner and put in 2000bht worth of Shell V power diesel he could have traveled well over 1000km. Or around double what the OP got. My Tuner returns around 6.1 LT = 100 km on a run. Not just once all the time. Must admit I don't go much more than 110kph on normal roads 120kph on M Ways due to all the cameras and use C/C as much a poss. To save you working it out that's around 45/6 miles per Imp Gallon. I think great for a tank of a motor.  

That's highway consumption then? What do you get in urban areas?

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Taking the energy content of Ethanol vs Petrol into consideration, the math to compare E20 with E85 looks like this.

25.14THB*((85/1.5+15)/(20/1.5+80)) = 19.3THB

I take the fuel prices posted on the previous page, E20: 25.14, E85: 21.09

If E85 would cost less than 19.3THB it would be cheaper, but considering that it costs 21.09THB, it's about 9% more expensive than E20.

So, Professor, what does my addition of 95 do to the calculation?

38 minutes ago, DavisH said:

That's highway consumption then? What do you get in urban areas?

I don't live in BKK, but I get 7.1/2lt = 100km where I live. Mind you stuck in traffic like BKK no cars will get good mileage. Why I quoted long runs was because the OP said he got about half of what I was getting. He also asked if what he was getting was good. I was just pointing out IMO he wasn't. N/B most of the long runs I do, does include going round BKK on the 9 A/R with speeds as pointed out at around 120kph depending on traffic. Taking all into consideration not to bad for a Tank of a Motor.  

4 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

I drive an MG ZS. It can take E85. I calculated mileage and economy when I first got it. E85 was the winner. E20 was awful. I settled on E85, and use a bit of 91 if the tank is low and E85 isn't available. 

Recently, I was planning to drive to Chiang Rai from CM. I figured I might want a bit more power going over the mountains. So, filling up the day before, I put in 600 baht of E85, and 100 baht of 95. This was 7 out of 8 bars on the fuel guage, not full. 

I keep the readout of "km left" up. When I left the pumps, it showed 388 km in the tank. As I drove, as the computer "tasted" the 95, the readout rose to 425, a jump of 37, or nearly 10%. That took about five minutes. I figure it knows immediately how much fuel is there, using a float or some conventional method, then the computer calculates again based on the current fuel mix. 

I don't know whether raising the octane or lowering the alcohol/petrol ratio is responsible for the improved mileage (and performance), but it seems to work. 

the 95, was it proper or Gasahol <deleted> ?

On 4/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, JAS21 said:

Of course it depends how fast he drives and what mode he uses ... but unless he is rather heavy footed he should get considerable more than 12-13kms/ltr.. we certainly do.

Hybrid cars are not very efficient when run solely on the Internal combustion engine.

Our PHEV does reasonably well... maybe because it glides a lot. I’ve seen an indicated 4.2ltr/100kms over a half period when the battery showed used up. Not too bad for a heavy car with approx 2000cc engine.

Even driving at a constant speed, the battery gains a little charge and then the engine stops and it runs on battery for a short while. Seems a strange thing to do but that is the design ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"On the 2 way road to pass a car with hybrid car is not a smart way with only gasoline mode since there will be not enough horsepower for quick speed up..."

What?  Doesn't that depend entirely on the power of the IC engine?   They're not all the same!  How does a "2 way road" [sic] affect anything?

Using higher octane fuel than is recommended does not affect a cars performance in any significant way at all, regardless of whether the car has a modern engine or an older engine.

How did you come up with all these? Did you do research or are you an engineer?  I made those comments as a retired proffesional driver for 10 years . I live the professional driver part for you to figure out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sencelebi said:
On 4/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

How did you come up with all these? Did you do research or are you an engineer?  I made those comments as a retired proffesional driver for 10 years . I live the professional driver part for you to figure out.

"All these"?   I asked one (slightly facetious) question and made one point!

A "two-way road", or any other type of road, is irrelevant to the power an engine can produce.   That was my (slightly) facetious response to your claim.

Using a higher octane fuel than is recommended does not affect the power an engine produces in any significant way.

Your being a "professional driver" does not mean that my comments were incorrect, they were not.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou