Best car for under 4,000,000

pedro01

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

The Land Rover wasn't though - that was nice inside but the pop-out door handles looked like they were disposable. They seemed very flimsy. 

The comfort level in the Land Rover is undeniable... but it's not what's on the inside you need to worry about..

It's what's under the bonnet, and when it goes wrong, which it often does it will cost you a fortune.

Reliability for which they were once renowned has gone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone mentioned Volvo earlier on in this thread...  The XC60 with the T8 powertrain - Inscription Pro trim for the highest interior quality or R Design for a sportier look.

Obviously choosing a vehicle is very subjective, however, IMO, if living in Bangkok with access to service centres Volvo would be my preference - XC60 or XC90

II second the Volvo suggestion. Go test drive one and see how you like it. It will most probably be my next car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Best car for under 4,000,000 

Subaru Forester Under 4 Mill ,,,, 1.5 Mill All wheel Drive ,,,,  ????

Gotta say - that's not the easiest car on the eye, is it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Agreed, I would put it into the same basket of design abortions as the Toyota Fortuna and other similar trucks with tops. I know the Subaru is not one of those truck conversions but certainly the designers of the body must have thought so.

Edited by Excel
  • Confused 1

Just now, VYCM said:

MG, Chinese car yeh?

I see a few drawbacks with the MG

- it's out of my price range

- it's Chinese

- it doesn't exist

apart from that - it should be on the list....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, expatjustice said:

@pedro01 Just do like somebody else suggested here.... Give the C Coupe to your wife which is the perfect car for a woman. And get yourself a proper car, at the very least a long wheel base E-Class. 

Can't do that - I try to keep the wife's cars under 380hp and also, she thinks "AMG" stands for Am Grandma, so she wouldn't have it anyway.

• Haha 1

Current contenders.....

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

Top one isn't available till August at this dealer. 

Bottom one also comes with the 3.0 V6 biturbo - and a 0-60mph of 3.8 seconds - which is very tempting but also 5 mill...

Edited by pedro01

10 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Current contenders.....

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

Top one isn't available till August at this dealer. 

Bottom one also comes with the 3.0 V6 biturbo - and a 0-60mpg of 3.8 seconds - which is very tempting but also 5 mill...

Z4 M30i which is 3,969,000 as you said you generally only use it in town

Edited by Excel

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I misunderstood the OP's post title. I  can certainly recommend a wonderful car  for 'under 4 million baht', the Toyota Vios, 680K. There, done. 

Ineed and I apologize for any lack of care you feel because your suggestion wasn't given an immediate award. The selection committe didn't get back to you yet because they are considering all contenders and it does take some time.

Do note though - your suggestion has been passed to the selection committee and is being given the attention it truly deserves.

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Depend on what you like /Want isn't  ????  For myself I like Subaru  I had one back in Aus 

Not a Forester but have driven one . 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I misunderstood the OP's post title. I  can certainly recommend a wonderful car  for 'under 4 million baht', the Toyota Vios, 680K. There, done. 

Yeah, lmao. And also get some good insurance which covers funerals and burials. You know, in case you crash heads-on with another car at anything faster than 50-60 kph. 

Many of you meddlers think buying Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Volvo is just about showing off how wealthy we are... Heck with that, it is about protecting you and your family's lives. 

Better save up and drive a car which will probably save your life in case of a  crash, than burning all your money at the bar and driving a 680K Vios which will crumple all over your body... 

image.png.600c28d2ebfd00c859a7bf167bbe1f5d.png

image.png.1016332603253ba3637f4e30444718b1.png

image.png.d6355361ca54010d438dd81afd794123.png

Edited by expatjustice
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

Many of you meddlers think buying Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Volvo is just about showing off how wealthy we are... Heck with that, it is about protecting you and your family's lives. 

Simply not true, google it before you comment, there are far more Japanese and Korean cars with top rating than your European cars. Audi fares the best of them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

Simply not true, google it before you comment, there are far more Japanese and Korean cars with top rating than your European cars. Audi fares the best of them.

Crash tests mean nothing. Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Volvo all of them score top ratings in crash tests same like many Japanese cars. 

But that means nothing. NCAP tests at a maximum speed of 65 kph. That’s why I made the mention in my first post: 

55 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

in case you crash heads-on with another car at anything faster than 50-60 kph. 

Crash tests never test at expressway speeds. And that’s what makes the difference and where Europeans excel. Ask any firefighter or EMS… 

Example: The Toyota Vios has top rating, but you can clearly see that on a heads-on collision at 65 kph it has already crumpled all the way to the firewall, so what is gonna happen when you crash at 100 kph? 

Whereas say a Mercedes C-Class Coupe on the same heads on crash at 65 kph has crumpled only halfway through the engine bay (check it yourself).

Which one will do better at 100 kph? 

Edited by expatjustice
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

You took the words straight off my keyboard.  Buying a high end car in Thailand is all about showing your status to others, especially for Thais, but also farangs.  This was brought home to me by my Thai wife when we got our first company BMW.  She was upset that it wasn't a Merc.  It was all about what it looked like to others, not what it was like for me as the driver and her as the passenger.  It took years before she got the message. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, expatjustice said:

Crash tests mean nothing. Mercedes / BMW / Audi / Volvo all of them score top ratings in crash tests same like many Japanese cars. 

But that means nothing. NCAP tests at a maximum speed of 65 kph. That’s why I made the mention in my first post: 

Crash tests never test at expressway speeds. And that’s what makes the difference and where Europeans excel. Ask any firefighter or EMS… 

Example: The Toyota Vios has top rating, but you can clearly see that on a heads-on collision at 65 kph it has already crumpled all the way to the firewall, so what is gonna happen when you crash at 100 kph? 

Whereas say a Mercedes C-Class Coupe on the same heads on crash at 65 kph has crumpled only halfway through the engine bay (check it yourself).

Which one will do better at 100 kph? 

And the price difference between a Vios and a C- Class is??????

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And the price difference between a Vios and a C- Class is??????

A huge one. And among several others, one of the biggest reasons for that price difference is that good quality strong metal is expensive, cheap metal will never reach that strength. Hence why despite being similar sizes the Vios at 65kph crumples all the way to the firewall and the Merc barely halfway through the engine bay… 

There are other reasons: luxury, status, etc…. But your life should be reason enough to consider the high end Europeans…

Of course not everyone can afford such cars, but if you have that much money as some claim and you still drive a Vios chances are: 

- You are just boasting and actually you can barely afford the Vios. 

High end European cars depreciate quickly? True. Don’t buy it then, lease it and change it every 3 years you drive the newest model…

Edited by expatjustice
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I shall swap my 8 year old Vigo for one, if and when the old girl starts to go wrong.

What is sad about that Mr Excel? What do YOU drive?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And before that, a Honda Wave or a bicycle?

None, I personally have two legs which work perfectly fine. And that’s what I would use before riding any motorcycle or bicycle in any road with cars whatsoever. I value my life too much ????????‍♂️

For longer distances you can use the metro + walking. A million times safer than any two wheeler.

Edited by expatjustice
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, expatjustice said:

A huge one. And among several others, one of the biggest reasons for that price difference is that good quality strong metal is expensive, cheap metal will never reach that strength. Hence why despite being similar sizes the Vios at 65kph crumples all the way to the firewall and the Merc barely halfway through the engine bay… 

There are other reasons: luxury, status, etc…. But your life should be reason enough to consider the high end Europeans…

Of course not everyone can afford such cars, but if you have that much money as some claim and you still drive a Vios chances are: 

- You are just boasting and actually you can barely afford the Vios. 

High end European cars depreciate quickly? True. Don’t buy it then, lease it and change it every 3 years you drive the newest model…

Still the biggest load of codswallop I have ever heard. The crash testing is done at low speed as the biggest danger is a car hitting pedestrians, in other words strong steel is bad for the percentage of accidents and I doubt high end vehicles use such material. They may well have a better braking system or better warning systems but to suggest the steel strength is material is rubbish. Do some research son, and I doubt you have driven vehicles on every continent to make such claims

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

You took the words straight off my keyboard.  Buying a high end car in Thailand is all about showing your status to others, especially for Thais, but also farangs.  This was brought home to me by my Thai wife when we got our first company BMW.  She was upset that it wasn't a Merc.  It was all about what it looked like to others, not what it was like for me as the driver and her as the passenger.  It took years before she got the message. 

So to get this right - a billionaire should drive a VIOS because anything else is d*ck swinging?

There is nobody on planet earth that got a BMW, Merc, Range Rover, Jag, Audi etc because they liked them?

LMAO - I know these cars are polarizing but seriously - a little common sense.

Or a little marketing sense. In my business, some people gravitate towards my brand, some gravitate towards others. We resonate with them for various reasons. We appeal to a certain set of people. Which is why more that 1 car company exists. It is rare in any market for a single brand to win. Different people like different things - but it doesn't mean that anyone liking something different from you does so for any reasons you guess. 

And no - what your missus thinks does not count as market research.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I think there's more than 1 type of test done

Gee thanks for pointing that out, the purpose is what?? If you are the same as the OP and believe everything European is best, good for you but you are sadly very wrong.