Best car for under 4,000,000

pedro01

5 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

Gee thanks for pointing that out, the purpose is what?? If you are the same as the OP and believe everything European is best, good for you but you are sadly very wrong.

Read the thread - you'll figure it out.

It's all flowers and love here, isn't it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pedro01 said:

Read the thread - you'll figure it out.

It's all flowers and love here, isn't it?

I do not need to figure it out, if you are of the belief that European luxury cars are safer than every other car on the planet their advertising campaigns obviously work on you.

Attempt at humour troll post and reply removed.

Seems some replies are way off what OP was initially asking advice on.  Lets try and stick to giving useful suggestions as to what is available around 4Mthb and please stop the sniping comments otherwise it may be best to close this topic.  

The discussion about crash testing is interesting.... maybe someone should start a topic .... there seems to be several posters with some good information ......and of course much easier, at a later date,  to locate the information.... 

52 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

I do not need to figure it out, if you are of the belief that European luxury cars are safer than every other car on the planet their advertising campaigns obviously work on you.

Yeah - well if you'd read the thread - you would know I wasn't saying that. 

11 hours ago, sencelebi said:

I would recommend Volvo XC40 recharge, a lots of bells and whistles for 2.5 millions and quality interior. 

The XC40 is a nice car... but with a limit of 4 million I think it's too small for the OP.

I myself enjoy the XC40 T5 Hybrid Version, which for myself is one of the best solutions for the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

The XC40 is a nice car... but with a limit of 4 million I think it's too small for the OP.

I myself enjoy the XC40 T5 Hybrid Version, which for myself is one of the best solutions for the price.

That one should be around 3 million THB? 

For my like I personally prefer sedans. But leaving that aside, it is a very fine looking car. And the powertrain should be well over 250HP, so @pedro01 might wanna take a lot to it. 

Interesting way to buy a car - I always set specifications first and then look what is available to match my needs and expectations - price is at the end of the evaluation and subject to final negotiation. Sounds like you want to negotiate the price first and then select the car.

4 hours ago, expatjustice said:

None, I personally have two legs which work perfectly fine. And that’s what I would use before riding any motorcycle or bicycle in any road with cars whatsoever. I value my life too much ????????‍♂️

For longer distances you can use the metro + walking. A million times safer than any two wheeler.

There is no metro between where I live and Lotus's, 33 km away.

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

You took the words straight off my keyboard.  Buying a high end car in Thailand is all about showing your status to others, especially for Thais, but also farangs.  This was brought home to me by my Thai wife when we got our first company BMW.  She was upset that it wasn't a Merc.  It was all about what it looked like to others, not what it was like for me as the driver and her as the passenger.  It took years before she got the message. 

My wife drives a 2013 swift and she simply doesn't care about face or status - and she's a college director. Most of he staff have better cars. lol. It took me ages for her to change the tires on the thing, even though I paid for them. Yes she can addord a euro car but says she has better things to spend money on / invest. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HampiK said:

We don't really need big. We did and we started looking at bigger cars but I think we've gone past the need as a family. We had a 5 till the end of last year - which we needed when my son was in his teens and my daughter young enough to need a saddle bag everywhere we went. But a big car seems unnecessary now.

Plus, I am thinking - one day soon, it'll all be electric. The days of scaring birds out of the trees when you start the engine will be a thing of the past.  

It seems the manufacturers are putting in a bit more ooomph in the cars for less money - so I am thinking more fun. You can get so much more car now at this price range than 5 years ago. Well - let me put it this way - 6 or so years ago the M5 was 10 million. The 528M Sport was 3.9. Now you can get a 530e for 3.3 Million and suddenly you have cars like the M340i popping up with a fair amount of power for 4 million.

This is a new thing for me - it's put great performance and style within reach with these new models. I think the M3 back then was 7 million and the 328i MSport was 2.8 ish - now there's something in the middle that has fun written all over it. There's obviously a decent market here at that price point for it to be so obviously targeted.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

There is no metro between where I live and Lotus's, 33 km away.

Then I would order online / take a taxi, save for a car, whatever... 

But seriously, don't be thick about it.... Many people here in LOS ride motorcycles, millions, sure. But the risk is too damn high, just look at the numbers.... I would never risk my life riding a motorcycle, I am happy if you are happy taking that risk, but I love and enjoy my life too much to even think it may end so early because of a stupid motorbike accident and then go permanently 6 feet under. 

From my side, I don't wanna follow this nonsensical off-topic, let's focus on the question which the OP raised and stay on that line. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Interesting way to buy a car - I always set specifications first and then look what is available to match my needs and expectations - price is at the end of the evaluation and subject to final negotiation. Sounds like you want to negotiate the price first and then select the car.

That would be much more sensible. In July year, I wanted to buy a 530e, but I ended up with a C43 coupe. I walked into Benz, saw the coupe from behind and knew immediately I was in trouble. But since then, we never missed the size of the 5 and got rid of it in December. It was gathering dust.

Since then I've noticed a lot of dealers targeting this price, no idea why, so it's a hunt for the best 4 wheels for that price with an eye on stealing it off the wife at the weekends. If it has lots of horses - even better.

I am sure there are much better ways to approach this. Hence me being here to so I don't miss anything - and I'll be at Volvo on Sunday for sure. 

24 minutes ago, DavisH said:

My wife drives a 2013 swift and she simply doesn't care about face or status - and she's a college director. Most of he staff have better cars. lol. It took me ages for her to change the tires on the thing, even though I paid for them. Yes she can addord a euro car but says she has better things to spend money on / invest. 

I think that's great. Everybody should have a wife like that! You are lucky. But the fact she doesn't want one doesn't mean you can judge those that do. Everyone seems to think it's about face or impressing people. For some - it's also not about a choice between a car and something else. Some just got to a point where their car budget went up and they maybe took one for a spin to see what they were like.

I got my first BMW on Fathers day, when my wife said "why don't we take you to the motor show for fathers day". Then she said "why don't we go to that Irish Pub first?".  The rest is a little hazy to be honest but it was so much fun to drive. You do actually get something more than the badge for the extra money you pay. A lot of effort seems to go into the driving experience and ride quality. Comfort without it steering like a fish.

I run my own business - our 10th year was last year and we grew 50%. This year, it's been about adding a lot more staff in a new office and 1 other new avenue we are going into. It's incredibly hard work and one of the things that helps keep you sane is rewarding yourself along the way. A car is a good reward as you don't have to take time off work to enjoy it - you can enjoy it every time you need to go out for something.

If it feels like a reward, then it is. If it feels like an ice cream van, it's a Fortuner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, expatjustice said:

That one should be around 3 million THB? 

For my like I personally prefer sedans. But leaving that aside, it is a very fine looking car. And the powertrain should be well over 250HP, so @pedro01 might wanna take a lot to it. 

That does look nice - almost like the Evoque - but then it's Volvo so will still be going in 50 years. Probably doesn't have cheap plastic door handles either.

The S60 looks nice too - almost a hint of American muscle. Speaking of which - a Dodge Charger or a Mustang would be very nice to have here - or even a Nissan 370z or GTR. Not in my budget though....

What does the Mrs need  the car for? Local runs, longer journeys, what sort of annual mileage? I ask because would you/she consider something second hand, maybe a tad quirky perhaps or a project, something fun with character for example??

15 minutes ago, bojo said:

What does the Mrs need  the car for? Local runs, longer journeys, what sort of annual mileage? I ask because would you/she consider something second hand, maybe a tad quirky perhaps or a project, something fun with character for example??

She uses it for school runs, shopping, nights out, driving to Nakhorn Nowhere (but car hire means we fly/rent) - but mostly around town doing whatever it is that women do. 

We don't want a project but something old & quirky would actually be pretty cool - I love the old Alpines...

dieppe-france-june-30-2018-renault-alpin

You have something in mind, sir? 

3 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

She uses it for school runs, shopping, nights out, driving to Nakhorn Nowhere (but car hire means we fly/rent) - but mostly around town doing whatever it is that women do. 

We don't want a project but something old & quirky would actually be pretty cool - I love the old Alpines...

dieppe-france-june-30-2018-renault-alpin

You have something in mind, sir? 

Last time I was in Chiang mai (18 months ago) I spotted a pretty decent 110 LWB Defender for sale kerbside for under a million........I am in the motor trade and have upgraded a few of these recently, they are all the rage ATM. Currently I'm back in the UK and there is a plethora of after market and original parts available and half the stuff comes from manufacturers in China anyways, so would be available in Thailand.......You may remember the pick up Spectre version as an example. I'm not suggesting that you should go this far necessarily, but the are many permutations and combinations etc......There are so many great craftsmen and women in the Kingdom, that you could easily get bespoke interiors (the sofa/fabric shops would be perfect) made up at a fraction of the cost of doing the same in the UK....If you could source a vehicle second hand and use this forum perhaps to find a firm that would undertake the work for you, I fancy you could have something rather nice and in the eyes of many      'pretty cool'., , Just a set of Sawtooth wheels, sidebars, front grill & light conversion (with optional nudge bars), leather interior etc etc, you get the idea...........I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think this could also prove to be an investment....................................I know you said you didn't want a project, but I couldn't resist leading you into temptation.......................................

Bond's Spectre Defender hits the market again

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

good for her, very sensible. 

11 hours ago, pedro01 said:

So to get this right - a billionaire should drive a VIOS because anything else is d*ck swinging?

There is nobody on planet earth that got a BMW, Merc, Range Rover, Jag, Audi etc because they liked them?

LMAO - I know these cars are polarizing but seriously - a little common sense.

Or a little marketing sense. In my business, some people gravitate towards my brand, some gravitate towards others. We resonate with them for various reasons. We appeal to a certain set of people. Which is why more that 1 car company exists. It is rare in any market for a single brand to win. Different people like different things - but it doesn't mean that anyone liking something different from you does so for any reasons you guess. 

And no - what your missus thinks does not count as market research.

You need a bit of balance here in your argument.  I very much doubt that we have any Billionaires on TVF and definitely not posting on here.  Millionaires and the like have a different set of values and needs to 'ordinary folk',  as well as no need to consider alternative uses for their money, as you well know, so its a facetious point to try to bring them into this conversation. They also dont live in Thailand as retired  or working farangs. They tend to have more sense than that and live in places where they don't stick out like a sore thumb.  Like I said before, a low profile works well here, a high profile is dangerously naïve.  Farang in a high end Merc in Monaco, a big tick; a farang in the same car in Thailand, a bigger cross. 

Edited by Pilotman

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You need a bit of balance here in your argument.  I very much doubt that we have any Billionaires on TVF and definitely not posting on here.  Millionaires and the like have a different set of values and needs to 'ordinary folk',  as well as no need to consider alternative uses for their money, as you well know, so its a facetious point to try to bring them into this conversation. They also dont live in Thailand as retired  or working farangs. They tend to have more sense than that and live in places where they don't stick out like a sore thumb.  Like I said before, a low profile works well here, a high profile is dangerously naïve.  Farang in a high end Merc in Monaco, a big tick; a farang in the same car in Thailand, a bigger cross. 

He's talking about a three series BMW, get a grip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

He's talking about a three series BMW, get a grip.

The post I was replying to was talking about billionaires,  did you even read that post before kicking off on your keyboard?  

10 hours ago, expatjustice said:

Then I would order online / take a taxi, save for a car, whatever... 

But seriously, don't be thick about it.... Many people here in LOS ride motorcycles, millions, sure. But the risk is too damn high, just look at the numbers.... I would never risk my life riding a motorcycle, I am happy if you are happy taking that risk, but I love and enjoy my life too much to even think it may end so early because of a stupid motorbike accident and then go permanently 6 feet under. 

From my side, I don't wanna follow this nonsensical off-topic, let's focus on the question which the OP raised and stay on that line. 

Could you please direct me to an online shop/restaurant who will deliver 35 kilometres.

It would take me maybe 20 years to save up enough for a car. Then in my case it would be a hearse.

And I am seriously not being THICK about anything. 

8 hours ago, bojo said:

Last time I was in Chiang mai (18 months ago) I spotted a pretty decent 110 LWB Defender for sale kerbside for under a million........I am in the motor trade and have upgraded a few of these recently, they are all the rage ATM. Currently I'm back in the UK and there is a plethora of after market and original parts available and half the stuff comes from manufacturers in China anyways, so would be available in Thailand.......You may remember the pick up Spectre version as an example. I'm not suggesting that you should go this far necessarily, but the are many permutations and combinations etc......There are so many great craftsmen and women in the Kingdom, that you could easily get bespoke interiors (the sofa/fabric shops would be perfect) made up at a fraction of the cost of doing the same in the UK....If you could source a vehicle second hand and use this forum perhaps to find a firm that would undertake the work for you, I fancy you could have something rather nice and in the eyes of many      'pretty cool'., , Just a set of Sawtooth wheels, sidebars, front grill & light conversion (with optional nudge bars), leather interior etc etc, you get the idea...........I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think this could also prove to be an investment....................................I know you said you didn't want a project, but I couldn't resist leading you into temptation.......................................

I know where there is a custom Defender, special colour, specially designed restrainers for any luggage on the back, only one owner, used very little.  LOL

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Really?

I see a lot of expats here in Pattaya in expensive cars (+3 mill): Benz, BMW and so on.

The super rich expats? yes likely not so many of those but I think a few spend the winter month here and then go back to the Mediterranean for spring.

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Just had sushi in a little place in Krungthep Krita Rd.

Parked next to an i8 on the way in. On the way out three Germans in a row. Not sure where you are that these cars would stick out like a sore thumb. In my neck of the wood's, owning a car does not present an existential threat.

20210420_192252.jpg

7 hours ago, poohy said:

No offence but

Ouch 4 millions for a car ......A car !

I could buy my (nice) house and land twice over

We have a 2nd house in a lovely part of Isaan that cost 3 million to build.

It does seem a bit mental but when I lived in US, cars cost peanuts. In Denmark it was 200% tax.

And here, houses are cheap, food is cheap, cars are expensive.

You eventually to forget the relative prices of things back home. I've been here 22/23 years, I don't have a good home country measure to go by. 

Edited by pedro01

16 hours ago, bojo said:

I can definitely see the appeal but I am a creature of comfort! Would be a great on for my son though.