Danger of Lightning Strikes in the country?

I have heard stories from family and friends that locals have been struck by lightning in the past.  

We live up north in Isaan and am wondering if this is a real thing to be worried about?

My Mother in law always turns off her cell phone when there is a lightning storm. 

My wife wants me to unplug all the electrical devices and not use the computer until the storm has past. 

I have been in Bangkok and Pattaya on high rise condos during lightning storms never a problem.  Is living out in the country a lot more dangerous for lightning?

Does anyone have any insight into this? Is there a real danger or is this being over exaggerated? 

Thanks

• Like 2

You have just about as much chance of being struck by lightening as you do of being struck by lightening!  LOL

Seriously , the chances are very low , you can google it.

As far as your property Being affected by lightening is a different matter. In that issue, lightening does not have to directly strike you, your house, or even your property. It can strike an electrical poll a fair distance,  from your house, as it often does the current can travel through the powerlines , telephone , or cable lines , enter your home's electrical system and fry components connected to  it. 

There are surge protectors that will trip before the lightening surge gets to your devices, I did a search on Lazada and some came up. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=lightning+protection+surge+protector&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.27dc595ass5RNg

I don't know how good they are, I am also interested to find out .

Crosy , our resident electrical genius and moderator, will have a lot more to say about that, 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

My Mother in law always turns off her cell phone when there is a lightning storm. 

This myth is ineradicable. I always have a quarrel about this nonsense.

Maybe a remainder of the landline phone times with lines along poles.

People struck by lightning happens as rarely as everywhere.

Typically farmers caught out in the sticks taking shelter near trees.

Of course its best to seek shelter in buildings.

38 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

My wife wants me to unplug all the electrical devices and not use the computer until the storm has past. 

With the antiquated/unprotected electrical installations and open power wires along the poles this makes some sense.

I took the risk so far (though a UPS in the line) and continue until the power outage ????

A TV set at a brother in law was killed by over-voltage.

That's all I got note of during 10 years.

BTW: just sitting and waiting for the second heavy thunderstorm today.

First one was for breakfast.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Golfers at my club have been told to stand in the open (assuming no buildings nearby)......and crouch down on the balls of your feet to minimize contact with the ground.

I have been living in rural Kamphaeng Phet for 16 years and mostly the lightning strikes elsewhere. Having said that in that period we have had a coconut tree in the front garden hit twice and it is only 15 metres from the house.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This myth is ineradicable. I always have a quarrel about this nonsense.

Maybe a remainder of the landline phone times with lines along poles.

People struck by lightning happens as rarely as everywhere.

With the antiquated/unprotected electrical installations and open power wires along the poles this makes some sense.

I took the risk so far (though a UPS in the line) and continue until the power outage ????

A TV set at a brother in law was killed by over-voltage.

That's all I got note of during 10 years.

BTW: just sitting and waiting for the second heavy thunderstorm today.

First one was for breakfast.

I also had a TV fried from lightening induced surge, Which wasn't too bad because I had that TV for ever and really wanted an excuse to buy a new one, but was too cheap to part with a perfectly well working dinosaur of a TV. LOL 

Unplugging electronics is not viable, there are so many that resetting all of them can be a chore, some sort of surge protection is IMO the answer, but though some surge protectors look impressive, I have been told that many of them are useless. 

That's why I am waiting for Crossy to chime in, I am sure he would have some good suggestions. I am also interested to know. At this point between Wifi cameras, Smart TVs, Fire sticks. Roku box. echo dots etc . a lightening surge event can be very costly. 

1 hour ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

We live up north in Isaan and am wondering if this is a real thing to be worried about?

Lightning generally strikes the tallest object. If your house is the tallest object for say 50-ish metres then there maybe a slight chance.

If really worried the safest place is probably in a vehicle.

• Like 1

We lost a family member a few years back. He was fishing on a lake and wasn't quick enough getting back to shore, despite laying flat in his boat he was hit or there was a strike nearby ????

On land there's really little chance of getting hit if you are sensible, stay in the car or a building, don't shelter under trees, the usual stuff.

We had a direct hit on the house some years back, it blew off a couple of ridge tiles and cracked one of Madam's $$$ teak barge-boards. Most of the electronics actually IN the house survived (Faraday cage effect I assume), anything outside and wired died (satellite LNB, WiMax receiver, electric gate controller).

We have since installed nice meaty surge arrestors on the incoming supply, along with baby ones scattered around on the technology. The solar has it's own protection on both the AC and DC sides.

• Like 1

I think the odds of you getting hit are pretty low.  Unless you are out in a flat rice field with no trees around.  That seems where most get into trouble.  Animals get hit relatively frequently.  Cows, Buffalo, etc.

But strikes on buildings are quite common.  Do as Crossy said above.  Otherwise, you might lose your TV, appliances, etc.  It happens quite often.

• Like 1

Lightning strikes have caused me a problem in the past. My temporary electrical supply was 1km long from the village to my house. There were two lightning strikes in quick succession which destroyed my auto transfer switch and lightning surge arrestor. The solar was unaffected as was all the rest of the house including the internet radio mast in the garden. I now have a permanent electrical supply with earthed neutral on every fifth post and the neutral/earth is the higher of the two wires (PEA normal practice) so there is a very much reduced likelihood of future strikes causing any harm from strikes on or near the electrical supply. Lightning surge protectors should be fitted in every house. They are not expensive and are not difficult to install.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/suntree-ac-surge-protection-sup1-40-ac-1-2-pole-3-4-pole-i268325734-s1017128067.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!1017128067!123181490&gclid=Cj0KCQjwse-DBhC7ARIsAI8YcWLyl_eGoq4mwXUXJEdU3dCeQpokMoMrSj-OVLEimce3RKo-iFt15WEaAhC9EALw_wcB

14 hours ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Yes, that is sound advice.
Lighting strikes are in fact very common here in Thailand. 
But so are road accidents.. 
So, yeah... 

A few years ago the big tree on the land over the road from ours was struck by lightning. It literally cut the tree in half. The tree collapsed cutting the power lines up the road, but not to our house.

The result was two major power surges that pretty much fried everything electrical in our house.  

The trip switch box never stood a chance. The surge completely melted the main switch.  I was in the same room at the time and the box actually caught fire and the main light fitting in the centre of the ceiling exploded showering me with glass. 

When the PEA arrived, my wife went to talk to one of their guys who came and looked and concluded that the cables that ran across the top of the broken power pole (which apparently can carry up to 2000 volts) had shorted out with the cable to goes to our house out causing the surge.

The PEA came back a couple of days latter and helped us with all the repairs free of charge including replacing all the wiring in the roof and gave us 5000 baht to put towards purchasing new light fittings etc. They also said that the owner of the land where the big tree once stood should be liable as well, but surprise surprise nothing ever came of that. 

To this day, whenever there is a nearby storm I unplug everything that I can until it has passed. I'm not ashamed to say that big storms here genuinely frighten me now.

I sometimes look out window and see the fork lightning hitting the ground in the distance and genuinely feel for those who might be experiencing what we did.   

• Like 2

Lightning strikes can be a problem in a rural area, no matter the country.  Crossy gave good advice.

When we had nursery/greenhouse operations in Michigan, we saw the effects first hand.  The first time, lightning split a majestic tall hickory tree that stood alone in a field near in front of our house.  Fortunately, it wasn't close to anything and was easy to remove, even though it blocked our driveway.  While it was a loss, the hickory wood was great firewood.

The second time, we had moved to a new farmstead and remodeled the 1890s buildings.  Both the house and big barn had lightning rods, but we hadn't thought to do anything about the converted chicken house that we used as a retail store.  Bam, that little building was hit by lightning early one evening while Hubby and I were inside with our daily ritual of wine and cheese while we settled the financial and work records for the day.  Gads, the noise was amazingly loud.

We weren't hurt, but it everything electrical was fried, except the phone lines.  Fortunately, the laptop wasn't plugged in.  We didn't use a cash register (somehow a cash box and laptop had always balanced every day), but we didn't realize how much other electric stuff was in the little low building.  The alarm system for the operation -- not just security, but also temperature, humidity monitors and alarms, etc for various points in the greenhouses, cameras, credit card machine, irrigation controllers, aircon for the little store, etc, etc.  Fortunately insurance paid out, and most suppliers came through with replacements pronto.

The best was the credit card company.  The sweetie brought a "loaner" machine within an hour, apologizing that he'd have a real replacement in a couple days.  The loaner credit card machine looked like it had been in duty in a business that did automotive oil changes.  It was oily filthy.  But, hey, it worked.  With an extension cord and multi-plug from our house, we were back in business with next day.

I have experienced the effects of lightning strikes.

First, standing under trees. I always thought this advice was not clever - after all, the tree is taller than you and will be hit before you are. Then in Australia i saw a eucalyptus tree that had been hit. The tree had exploded like a bomb and fragments 6 inches long were buried in the ground 20 foot away. I no longer stand under trees.

Our house was hit 8 years ago in Isaan. It bent a bit of corrugated iron roof and the nearby gutter, and set fire to a couple of wooden beams underneath. Fortunately quick action by a neighbour put the fire out. Other damage - PSI box fried, TV fried (because the aerial connected to PSI box), 2 lights. A large ong was leaking, there were 2 small holes in the cement about 5 mm across at the water level on opposite sides. A banana tree suffered some burning. Wifi router dead.

But we were lucky, most electrics were disconnected and computer not plugged in so survived. The tv and PSI box died because although power was disconnected, the aerial wasn't. Neighbours were worse off, although 50 metres away, surge through the power lines next to the strike knocked out their computers because they were connected.

The lack of earthing and no lightning conductor are potential problems in old houses.

Yes, wife is paranoid about mobile phones and lightning, wants us to turn off! We do disconnect some appliances when thunder starts. But i thing lightning strikes on your home here are a once in a lifetime event.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

We had a direct hit on the house some years back

Did you have a lightning rod?

They seem to be rare in the villages. And rural Thais don't want them,  even they know what it is. 

How to get a lightning rod in a village? 

I rather not DIY, I would have no idea how to do it anyway.

Edited by Kiujunn

On 4/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, Surelynot said:

Golfers at my club have been told to stand in the open (assuming no buildings nearby)......and crouch down on the balls of your feet to minimize contact with the ground.

Is it not very good to sit in a car with the rubber tires (isolation)? Or in an open field then lay low (for the golfers)? Maybe lay down in the open field? I would like to learn more about this too.

On 4/18/2021 at 2:25 PM, billd766 said:

I have been living in rural Kamphaeng Phet for 16 years and mostly the lightning strikes elsewhere. Having said that in that period we have had a coconut tree in the front garden hit twice and it is only 15 metres from the house.

Yeah, maybe the highest object around. So that will be hit.

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Is it not very good to sit in a car with the rubber tires (isolation)? Or in an open field then lay low (for the golfers)? Maybe lay down in the open field? I would like to learn more about this too.

You should be okay in a car...it acts like a Faraday cage.

• Thanks 1