Keto dieters, make sure you get those liquids in!

Mister Fixit

I hope admin won't delete this, because it's a serious matter and very important to those who follow a ketogenic diet plan.
A word of warning from the start – this post is about poo and constipation, all of which we have suffered from at some stage when on keto.
If you are a bit put off about talking about what comes out of our bodies, then please scroll by and don’t comment – thank you.

This is a serious warning about what happened to me when I didn’t drink enough fluids for about a week. I seriously thought I’d end up in hospital with rectal damage.
I will have been on keto for 4 years on the 8th of next month and have lost over 50 kgs and kept it off. I know what I am doing by now. ????

Here in Thailand the heat can play havoc with your hydration. I do get constipated at times but luckily we have a very powerful herbal laxative here (Radompon) which always does the job! ????
I am at home much of the time and drink a lot of tea (about 8 pint mugs a day with just 10 mls of milk, no sugar of course) and enough water.

However, last week I had to teach in down town Bangkok every day, so I was out of the house for around 5 hours at a time. It is forbidden to eat or drink on the MRT but when I arrive I always buy a 500 ml bottle of water, though rarely finish it because I am too busy teaching.
It’s also been about 35 C or 95 degrees F here all week as Thai summer is starting.  Last Thursday morning I felt the urge to do a bowel movement but needed to leave so thought I’d wait until I got home later and take some of the laxative, so when I returned about 4.30 pm I did.

Well, it started to work but nothing would budge. Nothing. Only lots of liquid seeped out and after an hour of trying to push and almost crying in total discomfort, I was down on the bathroom floor curled up and having to do manual extraction! Sorry.

I managed to get to my phone and called my wife to ask her to come home immediately, and luckily she called at a pharmacy and bought a box of saline enemas – pictured. Never seen them in the UK. It took two, but in 15 minutes - WHOOSH!
Out in seconds and Jeez, what a relief. I was seriously wondering how on earth I could possibly get to the local hospital 2 miles away, what with Bangkok traffic and all that.

It left my poor old bum very tender indeed for about 4 days but it’s pretty well calmed down now. It was a narrow squeak, I can tell you.

If you are on a keto eating plan, be absolutely certain to keep well hydrated, especially as summer is here.  

So, I am sorry the subject is so icky, but it’s a salutary reminder to make sure you get plenty of those liquids down you, especially as summer is approaching in the UK.

Enema.jpg

I might of once accepted some Kratom from my in-laws down south. Kratom being a partial Opioid can really back you up!

I had to go to the loo (which was above a swamp) about 3am. The mosquitos were out of control so I wanted to get in there and out quick! How do I put this?.........

Mmmmm.....it got stuck half way out. I had to wake up my Thai family. Absolutely humiliating. Luckily someone had one of those enimas you used. It saved my life. Nowadays I always have one in my travel bag.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:02 PM, clivebaxter said:

Try taking physillum husk, or powders including them, can get several types at 7/11. I used those enema's often, usually work in 2-4 mins. All they are is salt and water but they work.

Ha!  Don't they have work!  Amazing things!  ????

What are the names of the ones at 7/11?

• 8 months later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:02 PM, clivebaxter said:

Try taking physillum husk, or powders including them, can get several types at 7/11. I used those enema's often, usually work in 2-4 mins. All they are is salt and water but they work.

Psyllium husk is good while on Keto as long as you are staying well hydrated, but you need to get it WITHOUT sugar. 

The typical ones you buy at 7-11 contain sugar, and a lot of it!  Even the small amount of sugar in a single dose will seriously jeopardize ketogenesis.

What you want is pure psyllium husks with no additives, which you can easily and inexpensively buy on Lazada.  When I lived in the US I always got Yerba Prima brand which was excellent.  The brand on Lazada is basically the same product, and it is quite cheap!

1611028058_ScreenShot2022-01-07at1_10_02PM.jpg.14be745ea847005a3fb351a16a545b7a.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i593894401-s1114460632.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Edited by WaveHunter