Work Permit Medical Check-Up Experience (2021): Bumrungrad Hospital

2 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

I got sick of going to a hospital for blood test every year, waiting around, so last year I went to a small clinic in Thonglor, 180 THB, no blood test, in and out 10mins? Everything was accepted and got my work permit renewed. Will be doing it again this year also.

Details? Or are you keeping the place a secret ^_^

58 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

don't clinics do it for 100 baht just checking blood pressure?

Who cares if your company is footing the $28 bill?

The eye candy at Bumrungrad is worth it...  

Edit:  And if they are going to draw blood (they always did for my WP physicals), would you rather trust an international hospital, or a clinic where they charge 100 baht and have every incentive to "repurpose" the used needles?  Just something to ponder...

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Edit:  And if they are going to draw blood (they always did for my WP physicals), would you rather trust an international hospital, or a clinic where they charge 100 baht and have every incentive to "repurpose" the used needles?  Just something to ponder...

Although there appear to be some provincial labour offices that require a blood test, it has never been a requirement in Bangkok in spite of what many posters insist. Last time I just printed out a proforma that included syphilis, went to a local clinic and the old doctor did exactly the right thing which was to go through the list of diseases and give me a physical examination for each one. He made sure I didn't have tertiary syphilis by asking me to stand up and walk to the other side of the room and back to check my balance. He ticked the boxes, signed the form, charged me 50 baht and I left. My HR department thought I needed a blood test but I told them not to worry and there were no problems at all at the work permit office.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Although there appear to be some provincial labour offices that require a blood test, it has never been a requirement in Bangkok in spite of what many posters insist. Last time I just printed out a proforma that included syphilis, went to a local clinic and the old doctor did exactly the right thing which was to go through the list of diseases and give me a physical examination for each one. He made sure I didn't have tertiary syphilis by asking me to stand up and walk to the other side of the room and back to check my balance. He ticked the boxes, signed the form, charged me 50 baht and I left. My HR department thought I needed a blood test but I told them not to worry and there were no problems at all at the work permit office.

I guess I should have prefaced my statement with my usual "I don't claim to know the rules, I just know what happened to me".  I got 7 WP physicals and 2 to get DL's and had blood drawn every time for the WP, in BKK.  My recollection of the DL physicals is a little fuzzy...

But I'm one of those guys who dealt with Thai officialdom by sitting here, waiting there, passport, please, right arm or left arm.... Basically, doing whatever they asked.  Strangely, I never got into arguments or felt abused by the officials when it was all finished.

And coming from the USA, getting out of a doctor's office for less than $100 felt like I was getting away with something anyway.

Edited by impulse

33 minutes ago, impulse said:

I guess I should have prefaced my statement with my usual "I don't claim to know the rules, I just know what happened to me".  I got 7 WP physicals and 2 to get DL's and had blood drawn every time for the WP, in BKK.  My recollection of the DL physicals is a little fuzzy...

But I'm one of those guys who dealt with Thai officialdom by sitting here, waiting there, passport, please, right arm or left arm.... Basically, doing whatever they asked.  Strangely, I never got into arguments or felt abused by the officials when it was all finished.

And coming from the USA, getting out of a doctor's office for less than $100 felt like I was getting away with something anyway.

Personally I'm not going to let anyone stick a needle in me unless there's some kind of medical need for it.

Yeah, as someone has said there are provincial labor departments that insist on you submitting both the medical certificate and the lab slip with the Syphilis test result on it otherwise no work permit.

I actually lost the lab slip once and they made me go back and do the whole thing again. The certificate on its own wasn't enough - even though the doc had written on it "Syphilis test - negative".

Some Bangkok hospitals will automatically fo a Syphilis test too, otherwise they won't want to issue the certificate.

The requirement however is that you don't have tertiary Syphilis which a blood test can't tell anyway. It merely tells if one is infected with some stage of the disease, but which stage of disease depends on the presence of symptoms.

Tertiary Syphilis would display symptoms including, blindness, deafness, brain damage, stroke, paralysis, dementia, organ failure, and often extreme skin uclers (like a hole in your face). Your bone can also disintegrate from decay/ulceration. Basically, you end up looking like a zombie and then you die.

Edited by 2009

12 minutes ago, thequietman said:

There's talk of a covid test being needed this year! Might not be as straightforward as you are expecting.

Not for normal work permit applications. 

It is only required for migrant workers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, problemfarang said:

not a big secret.. every local clinic will give you health certificate in 5min. and its 80-100 baht. just go and tell them you need certificate for work permit. 

The problem is some clinics will insist on giving you a blood test rather than just ticking the tertiary syphilis box, no doubt for their own profit.

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The problem is some clinics will insist on giving you a blood test rather than just ticking the tertiary syphilis box, no doubt for their own profit.

tbh 15 years in here never seen any clinic insisted blood test from me for the work permit. The one which did the most thing was like listening my heart and listen my throat that was all. the rest just asked me if i have serious disease or illness, listen my heart , my height and weight..  last year it was 80 baht. now 100 but of course this new clinic tried 200 and i told her it was 80 then she said ok 100 enough

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1