Downloading photos from Smartphone.

Maybole

My sister-in-law has an Oppo Smartphone and recently took a few photos which she wanted me to print out. (My prin.ter can do it on to proper photo paper).

No matter what I tried I could not get the phone to talk to my Linux Mint laptop. (It would not talk to a Windows 7 device either) I was using a miniUSB to Computer USB cable.

Please give suggestions and/or guidance on how to overcome this.

Also Grand daughter has an Apple device and I would like it to communicate with my computer.

How to transfer files from android to a linux pc (This works on Manjaro for me but should be the same in Mint):

• Plug cable (USB C or micro USB) into phone and connect the USB A end to the PC
  • You should see a pop up on the android phone or a notification in the notification bar.
  • Open that and select transfer files.

Android to PC connection modes image transfer

• In the PC file manager, select the android Phone and you can navigate to the phones DCIM folder where the photos are stored.
  • Open the folder and files and print what you need.

I don't know if Windows 7 can do this but on windows 10 the procedure above works the same.

• 4 months later...
On 4/18/2021 at 11:11 PM, Maybole said:

No matter what I tried I could not get the phone to talk to my Linux Mint laptop. (It would not talk to a Windows 7 device either) I was using a miniUSB to Computer USB cable.

Sorry if this is redundant but on my phone you have to go into settings - developer options - default USB configuration and choose a setting there (I have it set to file transfer) - initially I had the same issue as you

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently  had a need to transfer photos from Android phone to linux PC

plugging in the phone via USB was not successful  I suppose because of no drivers issue

( I though it was working before with these 2 pieces of equipment but it's years since I tried)

so instead of faffing around trying to install drivers  I installed a "Wifi FTP server"

app on the phone  from Google playstore  and then connected to that FTP share with Dolphin  file explorer from the linux machine  obviously both machines where on the same Wifi network

works very well.

As a side note I could also transfer files direct (phone to phone) to an ancient Samsung phone which had FTP option in its "MyFiles" app.

And after further "research"   I found I'd forgotten that using "Thunar" file manager  on my linux pc  works just fine when an Android phone is connected to usb   as  opposed to "Dolphin"  file manager which doesn't recognise the devices at all.