Phuket: Entertainment venue closure extended, snorkeling and diving prohibited

webfact

1618721148_1-org.jpg

The order. Photo: PR Phuket.

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Following yesterday’s (Apr 17) meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee, it has been confirmed that the closure of entertainment venues has been extended and that diving and snorkeling have been listed as prohibited after a recent spate of 10 cases were detected related to the activities.

The committee agreed to continue following the national order issued by the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) and also confirmed that there will be no lockdown in Phuket due to the devastating impact of the COVID-19 pandemic so far in affecting the economy, tourism, people’s businesses and livelihoods.

Those travelling to Phuket from the other 17 listed red zone provinces will not have to enter any period of quarantine but strict adherence to disease control measures is strongly encouraged, including wearing of face masks, social-distancing, washing of hands and use of santitiser products.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/entertainment-venue-closure-extended-snorkeling-and-diving-prohibited-79719.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-04-19

This is a shame for the industry as my understanding is the cases were "imported" from Bangkok visitors to the island and there were no local transmissions to boat crews or other divers. If the government continues with knee-jerk business closures, there literally won't be anything for visitors to come back to on July 1., October 1, or whenever they re-open. A little local Japanese resto near me, that was open until now, has closed due to these latest restrictions (even though restos can remain ooen)...it's just not worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Really ? I would have thought being 20ft under the water is more safer than above it.

I take it you are not a diver or dived in Phuket. These are mostly large boats with up to 50-60 people on board (but now limited to around half capacity I believe). While they are spacious, if near capacity people are in close contact for much of the day in the dining areas and on deck. There is also a short time when they are close together during the ride.out together on the pier to the boats. That being said, the cases have been one-off Bangkok imports with no local transmissions that I'm aware of.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

This is a shame for the industry as my understanding is the cases were "imported" from Bangkok visitors to the island and there were no local transmissions to boat crews or other divers. If the government continues with knee-jerk business closures, there literally won't be anything for visitors to come back to on July 1., October 1, or whenever they re-open. A little local Japanese resto near me, that was open until now, has closed due to these latest restrictions (even though restos can remain ooen)...it's just not worth it.

I know of 2 instructors who were on the boat on the 11th who have since tested positive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, schlog said:

Gyms also closed. Overreaction again. Why always need the phuket gov  to top the bangkok restrictions??? Don't tell me their isn't a purpose behind that and it's not from the phuket gov.

There was an expat cluster in Hong Kong that was linked to a gym.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Also limitations coming to Phuket now.

FB_IMG_16188537780650190.jpg

OMG...a friend was coming from Pattaya by bus tomorrow, 21st!

PS: I see they just have to take the antigen test. Guess I'll have to send her another 300 ????????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1