WHO Estimates Thailand’s Losses from Road Accidents in 2019 at Bt500 Billion

webfact

file.jpg

File photo

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, Thailand suffered losses estimated at Bt500 billion in 2019 from road accidents and over 80 per cent involved motorcycles.

Thailand is the country with the highest death rate from road accidents in ASEAN of 32.7 per cent. By estimating the statistics of road fatalities over the next six years (from 2021 to 2027), the worst- case scenario is estimated at 18,606 deaths per year and about 15,399 deaths per year in a best-case scenario.

WHO had estimated the financial loss from road fatalities in various countries and in the case of Thailand, the losses due to accidents were estimated at 3 per cent of gross domestic product, or Bt500 billion on 2019 GDP of Bt16.87 trillion.

Deaths and road accidents during the first three months of this year are likely to increase after a sharp decline in numbers in 2020 to 17,831 from 22,000 in 2019, partly due to the April 2020 nationwide lockdown due to the Covid-19 crisis.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

But it doesn't matter, because over the "seven dangerous days" of Songkran, apparently road deaths were about half of normal, same as every year. We can thank the statistic gatherers and Thai Tourist Authority for that I guess. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Half the normal because of Covid. Reduced travel and celebrations.

You may have noticed that I wrote "same as every year'. You're telling me that Songkran travel was reduced by 50%? It wasn't. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, cooked said:

You may have noticed that I wrote "same as every year'. You're telling me that Songkran travel was reduced by 50%? It wasn't. 

I didnt say travel had reduced by 50%. Its a combination of travel and Covid restrictions. Plus every year that I can remember fatalities dont reduce by 50% they stay about the same.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jesimps said:

It's amazing really when Thai car drivers are some of the slowest I've encountered living in many countries around the world. It has to be the motorbike contingent bumping up these figures. That, and lack of common sense and the me, me, me attitude.

Approx 80% of deaths are from motorcycle accidents, from memory majority in rural provinces. A few years ago I was in Issan region, the rural roads were in a terrible condition, thinking at the time death traps, especially at night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

W.H.O.?   Same message each year when the funding goes out yet year after year the problem continues.  Like a drug addict you can't help the person until they want to help themselves!  Providing Thailand with funding each year we are talking millions to address the problem while leaders only solution is to put up more signs this is the same a person has gone to rehab a number of times asking for money to buy food you know what the outcome is going to be.

You want some results it is simple ask for some results!  Feeding them $$$$ isn't the solution the problem at this point is the W.H.O.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

I am willing to bet that a lot of this is due to 2 things.

1 most drivers in country have no licence 

2most do not wear helmets

Reminds me of a friend of my father's.  He had his licence but his wife or kids insured the car to get it licensed for the road.

Ontario Police in Napanee used to make a list of things they wanted repaired during the winter because every year for 5 years he used to get drunk and have an accident in the same place.

He only changed when his son was old enough to work construction and drive.

Solution is easy make it mandatory to have insurance on vehicles.  Any infraction raises the insurance rate.

6 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Sure bad roads can lead to accidents. Here is a difference when you started learning to drive there was a sentence in your handbook " adjust your driving to the condition "  rain slow down, getting dark slow down, construction slow down, that simple line even on the written test can save lives so why isn't it there why isn't question related to " critical thinking " because the design is to just get them to pass the test memorization pure and simple without knowing why this is basically the Government school process.

In the end, if you know the roads are bad why doesn't a Thai driver on a bike?  ????  no matter what is done the one and only thing that works for any country is " doubt "  there isn't enough money or personnel in any country to enforce and there must be first and foremost a process for enforcement here there is ZERO!  the theory of the honor system doesn't work never has and going to the Temple getting a mark put on your bike or car is just a scam!

Been mentioned many times on this forum. Appalling driver testing for licence, practically zero enforcement, endemic corruption etc etc. Each time I return to Thailand, have a house in Pattaya,  takes me a week or so to readjust to Thai driving - so far lucky over thirty years only experienced being rear ended a few time by motorcycles and avoided by inches T boning a Thai family on a motorbike who pulled out in front me from a side road.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

3 per cent of gross domestic product, or Bt500 billichildon on 2019 GDP of Bt16.87 trillion.

This figure is borne by families who lose a child or bread winner.  It is of no consequence to the decision makers in their Mercs. They will continue to enjoy snuffling in the public purse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

In summary then ,most Thais do not have the fundamental intelligence to drive - their poor education system (see lowly position on. PISA EDUCATIONAL TABLES) does nothing to address that and the powers that be don’t care - 'if some peasant wants to kill him self and others,so what'.

There IS no real solution without change to those fundamentals.

And that is why the government does absolutely nothing to address the problem, as it is out of control and without a fundamental change in the whole of Thai society and culture it cannot be remedied. The government knows that but can't say it.

• Like 1