X Ray Screening of Bags at Suvarnabumi Airport During Covid

I posted this a while back: 

Didn't have any issues at the time.

I'm going back to the states in May to get my vaccine, since this country can't get it's act together.

Has anyone returned lately and if so, were your bags x rayed or searched? 

Again, I plan to bring back my vitamins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I returned two weeks ago. We had multiple bags and had to pay quite a bit for the extra luggage, but everything arrived with us (went through Qatar to Chicago). Tons of meds and everything made it. Only x-ray (in my direct view) was one oversized bag we had. To the best of my knowledge the other bags were not. TSA rifled through two of the bags but we had a TON of stuff so I wasn't surprised (we sold our condo and had been in BKK three consecutive years this go around).

Got first vaccine (Moderna) at Walmart of all places. Couldn't be easier to get it here. Next one in three weeks.

Good luck. Traveling from BKK was somewhat eerie as not many people were on the plane. But Qatar was a madhouse....as was O'hare.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Has anyone returned lately and if so, were your bags x rayed or searched?

As mentioned in your previous thread, they have now installed X Ray equipment prior to the baggage retrieval conveyors with the ability to screen everything.  I don't expect anyone here to know just how much these are being utilised.  My guess would be it's a very low %age, but it is just a guess.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bob4u said:

I arrived last week and saw ppl getting their bags searched, I walked straight through with my luggage on a push cart and a guide leading me to my ASQ taxi.

A guide? ASQ taxi? They can get into  luggage claim. Please tell me.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, TanooPet said:

My wife and I returned two weeks ago. We had multiple bags and had to pay quite a bit for the extra luggage, but everything arrived with us (went through Qatar to Chicago). Tons of meds and everything made it. Only x-ray (in my direct view) was one oversized bag we had. To the best of my knowledge the other bags were not. TSA rifled through two of the bags but we had a TON of stuff so I wasn't surprised (we sold our condo and had been in BKK three consecutive years this go around).

Got first vaccine (Moderna) at Walmart of all places. Couldn't be easier to get it here. Next one in three weeks.

Good luck. Traveling from BKK was somewhat eerie as not many people were on the plane. But Qatar was a madhouse....as was O'hare.

So you flew Qatar? What do you think of the airline? I will be doing LAX to BKK when allowed.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:42 AM, brucegoniners said:

A guide? ASQ taxi? They can get into  luggage claim. Please tell me.

Many times I've seen outside taxi drivers around the arrival luggage carousels at swampy.

Some with enough basic English to tell arrivals that they have to arrange a taxi there at the carousel because not allowed to cannot contact taxi drivers after the carousel. 

Also seen taxi drivers with carts at the carousel, as soon as they see an arrival pull a suitcase off the carousel they barge in quickly, take the suitcase from the arriving person and on their cart, trying to pull the arrival person into their clutches. 

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

So you flew Qatar? What do you think of the airline? I will be doing LAX to BKK when allowed.

I just booked Japan Airlines RT BKK to SFO  800 bucks , Japan airlines have biggest economy seats in airlines , Great Deal , I go in June 

Edited by Aomelia

They have had the ability to do this for years, it is just that they used to be so busy they would pick at random (or tip off, or looking nervous), all the rest would get waved through.

Now they are very quiet , maybe they are checking all bags to give them something to do,

or to make a Baht

12 hours ago, elgenon said:

All and all it wasn't too bad other than the weight restrictions on the baggage. They're quite the sticklers on that (including carry-on luggage). But the flight itself was fine (and on-time). Had never flown Qatar before, but as flights were limited we went with them. Pretty smooth all and all except for the weight restrictions. I would guess 30% of the passengers were in the same situation as us (i.e. bags on the floor repacking everything). 

19 hours ago, Aomelia said:

I just booked Japan Airlines RT BKK to SFO  800 bucks , Japan airlines have biggest economy seats in airlines , Great Deal , I go in June 

Sounds great. How long does it take to get to BKK? I stopped flying any Japan airlines because of the time. The cost and the seat size sound good.. Do they have the largest PE seats too?

9 hours ago, TanooPet said:

All and all it wasn't too bad other than the weight restrictions on the baggage. They're quite the sticklers on that (including carry-on luggage). But the flight itself was fine (and on-time). Had never flown Qatar before, but as flights were limited we went with them. Pretty smooth all and all except for the weight restrictions. I would guess 30% of the passengers were in the same situation as us (i.e. bags on the floor repacking everything). 

How long was the layover? How long the entire trip? Thanks.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, treetops said:

As mentioned in your previous thread, they have now installed X Ray equipment prior to the baggage retrieval conveyors with the ability to screen everything.  I don't expect anyone here to know just how much these are being utilised.  My guess would be it's a very low %age, but it is just a guess.

And someone must be very unlucky if they are even looking at the screen...

9 hours ago, elgenon said:

Sounds great. How long does it take to get to BKK? I stopped flying any Japan airlines because of the time. The cost and the seat size sound good.. Do they have the largest PE seats too?

They felt like plus seats , 6 hour flying time it breaks up the trip 9 hour to SFO 17.5 hour trip total , I saw yesterday on Scott flts 200 bucks RT to Japan from USA 

On 4/24/2021 at 6:14 AM, Aomelia said:

Do you have to change airports in Tokyo on these flights?

12 hours ago, elgenon said:

How long was the layover? How long the entire trip? Thanks.

The flight from BKK to Doha is about six hours. We had a three hour layover in Doha, but that's about perfect. Unlike Incheon, you don't have to go through screening again (meaning only at the gate....Incheon you have to stand in line with tons of other passengers before you can exit the arriving flights area). The flight from Doha to Chicago is about fifteen hours. It's about 24 hours to get to Chicago from BKK via Doha using Qatar Airlines. 

14 hours ago, Aomelia said:

They felt like plus seats , 6 hour flying time it breaks up the trip 9 hour to SFO 17.5 hour trip total , I saw yesterday on Scott flts 200 bucks RT to Japan from USA 

I meant what was the total time from SFO to BKK. I stopped flying any Japanese airline because of the long layover time and the long flight to BKK.

What is the site? Scott ....?

Thanks

11 hours ago, TanooPet said:

The flight from BKK to Doha is about six hours. We had a three hour layover in Doha, but that's about perfect. Unlike Incheon, you don't have to go through screening again (meaning only at the gate....Incheon you have to stand in line with tons of other passengers before you can exit the arriving flights area). The flight from Doha to Chicago is about fifteen hours. It's about 24 hours to get to Chicago from BKK via Doha using Qatar Airlines. 

Thanks. Sounds good. There are shorter flights and, as i get older, I lean that way. But would like to check out Qatar. Are the planes and the service and food good?

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

I meant what was the total time from SFO to BKK. I stopped flying any Japanese airline because of the long layover time and the long flight to BKK.

What is the site? Scott ....?

Thanks

Scott’s Flights 

14 hours ago, elgenon said:

Thanks. Sounds good. There are shorter flights and, as i get older, I lean that way. But would like to check out Qatar. Are the planes and the service and food good?

Yes, the planes were quite new in fact. And the food was fairly decent as well (which surprised me....it was much better than I had anticipated). Service was fine, too. Only complaint would be the baggage thing, but that's probably my own fault for not reading the limitations beforehand (and as I stated before, we had a lot of stuff with us which made it more difficult). Good luck! If I were choosing between Korean Air or Qatar I'd probably say go with the less expensive of the two. They're fairly similar as far as service/food/flight time/ goes.