The moment of death: Motorcyclist killed as car goes through red light in Suphanburi

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media Daily News published a grim picture of the moment a 64 year old motorcyclist was killed.

They reported that Prasert on a Yamaha Mio had allegedly moved ahead on a green light while a black Vios coming from Muang district Suphanburi going to U Thong district went through a red light. 

Prasert was found by rescue services and police on Sunday in a pool of blood on the other side of the road. 

He was taken to U Thong hospital for autopsy. 

He was not wearing a helmet.

A 42 year old male driver is helping police with their inquiries. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-19

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They reported that Prasert on a Yamaha Mio had allegedly moved ahead on a green light while a black Vios coming from Muang district Suphanburi going to U Thong district went through a red light. 

So, if I read that right, the black car driver should be charged with killing the cyclist, no matter how daft Prasert was to jump the green, even if he could see the red lights initiated for the crossing lane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Lots of Cowboy/Blaze driving/riding attitude here in Thailand and even worse in the country areas (noting going to happen to me) and the yearly road tolls reflect it year after year...

"...and even worse in the country areas..."

Even more worse, some folks in my extended family have an attitude of 'I don't like that law so I don't follow that law' and some apply this thinking/attitude to traffic lights; just drive on through. And yes they have caused many accidents and 1 death.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Bowman said:

What is being dragged underneath the car? Maybe something from the previous intersection.

When I first looked I too thought there was something under the back of the car.  But I think it is just the watermark placed on the photo.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst tragic, I would suggest the bike rider didnt even look right, just straight ahead when the light changed.

In my observation, many road users here have very poor ability to judge speed and distance of oncoming traffic. Alomost daily I have encountered cars and motorcycles pulling out way too soon or in the case of motorcycles not even looking right and just riding left as if there is no junction.

18 minutes ago, rwill said:

When I first looked I too thought there was something under the back of the car.  But I think it is just the watermark placed on the photo.

victim blaming?

• Thanks 1

Not wanting to wait another 2-3 seconds as the lights change cost him his life. Just incredible. I've very often wondered what it is with Thais, supposedly a laid back race, who are at the same time so impatient, drive as fast as they can instead of as fast as is safe, fight like wild dogs with maximum violence. Very strange.

Quite possibly, the car driver will be claiming the scooter driver contributed to his death by not wearing a helmet.

I am unable to understand why Thais drive so fast on the roads, yet walk so slowly on golf courses.

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Morale of the story: never ever trust lights or other road users.

My observation is Thais I find have limited previnial vision, riding a bike from a young age I believe  has developed my previnial vision I can almost see 3/4 behind myself. 

My wife is not good at that test thing they do at DLT's in license renewal. 

Good job hers is a life one. ????

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My observation is Thais I find have limited previnial vision, riding a bike from a young age I believe  has developed my previnial vision I can almost see 3/4 behind myself. 

My wife is not good at that test thing they do at DLT's in license renewal. 

Good job hers is a life one. ????

My observation is Thais have a head on a swivel and never miss a thing.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not wanting to wait another 2-3 seconds as the lights change cost him his life. Just incredible. I've very often wondered what it is with Thais, supposedly a laid back race, who are at the same time so impatient, drive as fast as they can instead of as fast as is safe, fight like wild dogs with maximum violence. Very strange.

I think most Thais are lovely people  but when they are driving they seem to become different , me first ,'  I know where I am going and I am thinking about every thing but my driving '.

35 minutes ago, RobU said:

the article clearly states that the motorcyclist did not 'jump' the lights he correctly moved forward when the green light was displayed the article also clearly states that the car driver jumped a red light

And he couldn't wait 2-3 seconds to check it was safe, Just drove straight ahead without looking. If we know never to do that, surely a local does.

10 hours ago, George Bowman said:

What is being dragged underneath the car? Maybe something from the previous intersection.

It's the grim reaper. He was crossing the road at the time. Normal people can't see him, it's only the spooky photos afterwards.

Well spotted! We are all immortal now!

It might be called the classic, "typical", cause of road accidents in Thailand:

"When breaking the law meets poor roadcraft"

And nobody seems concerned to apply the fixes which have reduced it so much in other countries.........long ago.

Because that would require a revolution in philosophy, outlook, social conscience and "sense of being".

And not only in the realm of road use.

It goes to the core.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

You are blaming the victim!!!!

Many do.  I was told when I lived in Udon Thani, that when the light turned green to count 1001, 1002, 1003 and then go.  When I did that a few times at the intersections running through the main road, I was amazed at how many accidents occurred from cars hitting cars that had run through the yellow and red, and then the cars jumping forward at the first hint of green.  Not saying they were in the wrong, but knowing its a problem you would think the traffic enforcement police would be out there at these intersections.  

12 minutes ago, jvs said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And he couldn't wait 2-3 seconds to check it was safe, Just drove straight ahead without looking. If we know never to do that, surely a local does.

You are blaming the victim!!!!

His action certainly played a part. Wait, look, proceed if safe. What were you taught? How do you drive? Green, blindly go no matter what? I very much doubt it. You do check to see if it's safe don't you? Someone didn't bother, and he died.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2