Thailand is scared

Then there is this small issue with Toyota. Remember, if they lower the tax or make it non existent for the first 4 years like Vietnam is doing there will be lots less cookies for politicians.

I know of another huge company that was circulating flyers to its employees back in 2013 for the same issue like Toyota.  You kinda have to speak in riddles in this country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Then there is this small issue with Toyota. Remember, if they lower the tax or make it non existent for the first 4 years like Vietnam is doing there will be lots less cookies for politicians.

I know of another huge company that was circulating flyers to its employees back in 2013 for the same issue like Toyota.  You kinda have to speak in riddles in this country.

Can you show me a link to one of the newspapers talking about this?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Puccini said:
On 4/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, Pravda said:

...This perhaps maybe the real reason with the latest Thai baht drop. Nothing related with corona or tourism

Thai Baht drop against what other currency?

I think he just made that up. 

• Haha 1

March 23: €1 = THB36.26

April 24.          =        38.02

€ trending north since February, surging since latest Covid wave.

Hope it holds ... (the baht not the wave)

26 minutes ago, alacrity said:

As an example: It's dropping against the GBP. The determining factor being the USD exchange rates.

The Kbank forex rate on 1st January 2021

30 April 2021

Peaked on 26 April 2021

BTW both Wise and XE give much better rates than this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The Kbank forex rate on 1st January 2021

30 April 2021

Peaked on 26 April 2021

BTW both Wise and XE give much better rates than this.

I got 43.7 two days back.

Why the drop ...... maybe because it lost 20% of it's GDP when the tourists were locked out.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Everyone running Thailand is playing a game way out of their league beyond whatever competence they have. The rest of SEA will continue to run circles around them. Thailand will remain the land of smiles hiding the pain of poor choices. The time of faking it til you make it is over.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Everyone running Thailand is playing a game way out of their league beyond whatever competence they have. The rest of SEA will continue to run circles around them. Thailand will remain the land of smiles hiding the pain of poor choices. The time of faking it til you make it is over.

The competence lies in the civil service and the private sector. There is plenty in both, enough to contend with incompetent and self-serving politicians. 

This formula applies not only to Thailand but numerous Western democracies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Go to website of unmentionable newspaper and see.

The currency exchange rate is a moving target.  In the last few days, the THB has been strengthening against the USD...much to my dismay.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:02 PM, wasabi said:

It's amazing how many expats who move to Thailand are global trade experts with experience of running a national economy. ????

9 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

It's amazing how many expats who move to Thailand are global trade experts with experience of running a national economy. ????

haha yes, its like those complaining about leaving X amount in the bank for visa purposes is crazy as they could reinvest that money elsewhere... The obvious reality being:

1) If they were likely to be able to invest to make noticeable money off 400 or 800K then they likely would of done that for the past 40 years and have no issue with leaving it there

45 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

haha yes, its like those complaining about leaving X amount in the bank for visa purposes is crazy as they could reinvest that money elsewhere... The obvious reality being:

They probably did.

I don't really go around having a laff at someone who bought crypto and made a killing because I don't believe in crypto,

I have 250,000 Canadian in liquid cash and I am not putting it in a Thai bank account especially since major devaluation is coming due to inept government,

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

They probably did.

I don't really go around having a laff at someone who bought crypto and made a killing because I don't believe in crypto,

I have 250,000 Canadian in liquid cash and I am not putting it in a Thai bank account especially since major devaluation is coming due to inept government,

No one is asking you to put 250K in a Thai bank.