Driving licence debacle

chilly07

Had a 5yr licence extension booked for 27 April at Banglamung. Saw announcement on 16 April- no more tests till June. But also saw that those with appointments  can still attend. Rang DLT this am and was told they are keeping appointments for 2yr temp licences but 5 yr extensions should wait and rebook in June. Asked why- no reason given! As I have been waiting since Jan 14 when they shut again at short notice this is particularly annoying. What's the difference between a 2 and 5 yr extension? Nothing but the date. So it will be 6 mths before I can drive again! I will be going to my appointment on 27 just to make a fuss but I don't trust Thai insurance companies to honour a claim when I don't have a current licence!

Why don't you just ask your insurance company if they still cover you?

My motorbike first class insurance told me that even my German driving license (without IDP) is good enough for them to cover me.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It was in the news yesterday that you do not have to renew a license until June 30th.

I think what OP wants to know if he can still drive is that news means he can drive until June 30th because he can't renew it before covid. 

You can drive on an expired license if you can't renew it due to the  temporary suspension. The cops have already given the nod to this temporary measure.

Contact your insurance carrier to get their official word on how it affects you coverage. I have been assured by roojai that it's OK and a friend with Virayah has also been told the same. However both companies have stated that one should renew as soon as it is permitted.

Not sure why OP has not been able to renew before now, if waiting since Jan 14th. I renewed my 5 year licences at Banglamung in March without much of a delay - appointment made on 4th March and booked for tests on 22nd March. All done and dusted on the 22nd. 

Maybe you missed the reports that DLT were up and running, albeit at reduced capacity, in Feb/Mar if not earlier.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dabhand said:

Not sure why OP has not been able to renew before now, if waiting since Jan 14th. I renewed my 5 year licences at Banglamung in March without much of a delay - appointment made on 4th March and booked for tests on 22nd March. All done and dusted on the 22nd. 

Maybe you missed the reports that DLT were up and running, albeit at reduced capacity, in Feb/Mar if not earlier.

The announcements I saw and queries direct to DLT was that licence renewals would not be done till April and the police OKd this. Shouldn't have believed this and booked anyway. Will still attend my appointment on 27 as you can't believe anything the DLT says

• Like 1

DLT told my wife that she should show her appointment booking on the app on her phone to any police that stop her.

She has cocked up renewing twice so far though, so hopefully third time lucky, however she only has until September before it is expired for a year.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:14 PM, QballQ said:

DLT told my wife that she should show her appointment booking on the app on her phone to any police that stop her.

My niece was told the same thing last Aug at Chonburi DLT, she had to wait till Dec for renewal. I was allowed to renew the day I asked and my wife asked why, they said they will do foreigners as they cannot use the app for appointments.

Maybe the OP should give Chonburi a ring.

Thanks for all your contributions. Yes will go on 27 and see what happens. Tried ringing and e mailing my insurance company Muang Thai and get no response just an English message "we are experiencing technical problems please ring later" Apparently the reason why the DLT won't do 5yr extensions is that they expect you to sit through a 1 hr video but not for a 2 to 2 or a 2 to 5 so they are still doing those. Don't know why  they don't need training whereas a 5 to 5 does?

Check if they are actually closed.

If not rock up early on your appointment day, with your medical, certified address etc, as I did, just pleaded ignorance,  after being on a 2 year, in & out in less than 2 hours Done,,,, 5 years

10 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Check if they are actually closed.

If not rock up early on your appointment day, with your medical, certified address etc, as I did, just pleaded ignorance,  after being on a 2 year, in & out in less than 2 hours Done,,,, 5 years

Yes they are doing the 2-5 as apparently you don't need to see the video

22 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Did you have to view the 1hr video?

No just sit and look at the wall, or play on the telephone for 2 x 1 hour (1 hour for each license) no video at all just pay money and wait!