3rd wave: Anyone knows what happens if you (re)enter CM by bus?

ttkeric

Hi everyone. 

I'm going to have to make a trip down to Bangkok soon, one that I can't put off after putting it off more than a few times. 

Anyone knows what happens if you hop on a bus going off and returning? Would they marshal everyone off the bus at some point, take everyone's temperature, check that everyone checks in with an app, etc? 

Why not fly, you may ask? a) the bus times are perfect for me. Hop on an overnighter, arrive at Morchit, hop on a taxi, go do what I need to do. b) I like buses.  

I could drive, of course, but that would be the last option. 

There's a 14 day mandatory quarantine in 47 provinces, including Chiang Mai, there are road blocks and police/health checks on everyone just South of CM and if you're from out of town, you have to quarantine. Read the Nation front page perhaps.

Yes, I believe everyone is well aware of the requirement to quarantine for 14 days. 

Was just curious if, like I mentioned, would they haul everyone off the bus to be scanned. If so, would this happen going past every "hotspot"? Quite a few throughout the journey by road. 

I suppose if someone was found with higher than accepted temperature the whole lot may be hauled off to the quarantine centre.

I pass that checkpoint by Thai Wassadu frequently. One of my cars is annoying registered in Bangkok but my wife just speak "Northern" with them and we get waved through. 

Anyways, after posting yesterday, it slipped my mine that this latest state-of-emergency is only expected to be 'til the 30th. Fingers crossed, by May life is back to somewhat normal and I can make my trip down south.  

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:06 AM, ttkeric said:

Yes, I believe everyone is well aware of the requirement to quarantine for 14 days. 

Home quarantine, hotel quarantine, hospital quarantine?

My girlfriend is trying to get back to CM from Ubon but difficult.

What I find difficult to understand is why someone coming from a non red zone into a red zone needs to go into an already over burdened quarantine system. Test and if positive then quarantine. If negative then home quarantine.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, ttkeric said:

Hi everyone. 

I'm going to have to make a trip down to Bangkok soon, one that I can't put off after putting it off more than a few times. 

Anyone knows what happens if you hop on a bus going off and returning? Would they marshal everyone off the bus at some point, take everyone's temperature, check that everyone checks in with an app, etc? 

Why not fly, you may ask? a) the bus times are perfect for me. Hop on an overnighter, arrive at Morchit, hop on a taxi, go do what I need to do. b) I like buses.  

I could drive, of course, but that would be the last option. 

Really, you should fly (or drive if you car is in good condition). Bus is an incredible opportunity to get Covid as it's a confined space in which you are stuck for hours, no HEPA filters, and populated by people more likely than most to have contracted Covid!!!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Brierley said:

On the super highway, heading North, shortly after Thai Wasadu.

A one year old link to citylife discusses these roadblocks and gives their locations which have not changed.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/covid-19/checkpoints-on-major-roads-into-chiang-mai/

Edited by Brierley

On 4/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, Brierley said:

There's a 14 day mandatory quarantine in 47 provinces, including Chiang Mai, there are road blocks and police/health checks on everyone just South of CM and if you're from out of town, you have to quarantine. Read the Nation front page perhaps.

I'm going to disagree with you on that as I drove from Lamphun to CM yesterday (Tuesday) and there were no Covid checkpoints on Highway 11.  I make the trip once or twice a week and I haven't seen any Covid roadblocks since they stated that there are "mandatory quarantines."  Take a drive perhaps.

Edited by connda

On 4/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Brierley said:

On the super highway, heading North, shortly after Thai Wasadu.

Not unless they put them up last night after 5pm.  I drove by there and it was clear driving North right into town.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm going to disagree with you on that as I drove from Lamphun to CM on Monday and there were no Covid checkpoints on Highway 11.  I make the trip once or twice a week and I haven't seen any Covid roadblocks since they stated that there are "mandatory quarantines."  Take a drive perhaps.

We were stopped on the Super highway at the 121 yesterday and temperature checked, because we have CM plates we were allowed to go on..

8 minutes ago, Brierley said:

We were stopped on the Super highway at the 121 yesterday and temperature checked, because we have CM plates we were allowed to go on..

Man, I drove past the Highway 121/Highway 11 interchanged  at 11am yesterday heading to a dentist appointment and there wasn't a cop in sight, and then drove back past it at around 5pm.
If they had checks it happened after I past through and must have been taken down before my return to Lamphun.  Go figure.

Edited by connda

1 minute ago, connda said:

Man, I drove past the Highway 121/Highway 11 interchanged  at 11am yesterday heading to a dentist appointment and there wasn't a cop in sight, and then drove back past it at around 5pm.

Well, one of is is missing something here because we both seem to know what we've seen, perhaps somebody else will come along and we'll have a tie breaker. Either that or I'll have to get in my truck and drive down there in the morning and take pictures, I suspect there's not much mileage in that however, no pun intended.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:26 PM, EricTh said:

How will the government check whether we are really home quarantined for 14 days? I doubt they will send someone to check everyday.

Friend of mine got done, but his landlady ratted him out. She didn't like his cavalier attitude about quarantine. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Friend of mine got done, but his landlady ratted him out. She didn't like his cavalier attitude about quarantine. 

I think most people can't tolerate being at home for one whole day let alone 14 days.

So I don't see the home quarantine rule being implemented successfully. The only way is to ban outgoing vehicles from an area.