Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

Your story is my story, I feel for you! How old are you? 

I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, meat or fish and vegetables for lunch and frequently nothing else but raw vegetables for the rest of the day. I was 88 kgs and I can just about make 86 kgs but it's a struggle to stay there. I also run 4 miles every morning, six days a week. I've tried protein shakes as a meal substitute but without any real success. I was prescribed a diuretic for 4 weeks to get rid of a fluid build up and that saw me get down to 85kgs, as soon as the treatment stopped I went back up to 86kgs. If I snack at all it's nuts and raw veg, no soda, no white carbs, no alcohol, no sweets or pastries, just boring basic protein and high value carbs, in small amounts. If you find the answer, do let me know.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I also run 25 km per week. 

What could I be doing wrong? 

Not enough exercise.

I walk 9Km per day and don't lose any weight, but it keeps my weight fairly constant.

If you can't take the extra exercise, try cutting down to 1 sandwich with 2 pieces of bread and no nuts.

I'm stuck at 78-79Kg, and would really like to weigh 75Kg.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Not enough exercise.

I walk 9Km per day and don't lose any weight, but it keeps my weight fairly constant.

If you can't take the extra exercise, try cutting down to 1 sandwich with 2 pieces of bread and no nuts.

I'm stuck at 78-79Kg, and would really like to weigh 75Kg.

I also do a 6pack app thing. 

I will try to run more but... 

Are nuts fattening?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

Well he's a dick then. 

He might just be. But the commonly used BMI scale puts me right on the edge of slightly obese, the three rewritten algorithms for BMI all put me overweight or obese. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Pilotman said:

BMI has been rubbished as a reliable measure of obesity for years now. The medical profession seems to cling to it as a hammer to bash people with, when it is meaningless for large sections of human kind. Try selling BMI to athletes, strength sports enthusiasts, most African peoples, Eskimos, and see how far you get.   

I agree. That said, my body functions best when sub 85kgs, my blood sugar levels are much more easily managed and my lower back/disk problems are not painful at all. My desired and optimum weight is 80 kgs but it's impossible to attain.

• Like 1

It looks like you nearly only eat <deleted> food. None of the food you listed is good for a diet.

You could of course still lose weight if you eat less calories than you consume, but that you don't lose weight does quite likely mean that you eat too much. (Two weeks is not very long though, some weight fluctuation could potentially hide some fat loss)

There are many ways to diet, there isn't the one truth, you have to figure out what works for you. In general increasing protein, and lowering carbs (especially sugar) and fat helps.

Get a food scale, weigh everything that you eat and write down the calories.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Most everything. Fruit (except berries), mango, weetabix, 4 slices of loaf, nuts, and expecting your 25 km/wk will make any appreciable difference. Might make you eat more, actually

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. 

I sweat profusely when running in 35C, I was sure running 5km every other day would help lose weight. 

Is dried fruit bad as bad as fresh fruit? 

First time I've heard that fruit is fattening. 

Should I cut out weetabix? I thought they are all bran. 

All very confusing. 

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I sweat profusely when running in 35C, I was sure running 5km every other day would help lose weight. 

Disappointing and slightly unbelievable, I know. But exercise is great for all kinds of reasons besides weight loss.

50 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is dried fruit bad as bad as fresh fruit? 

First time I've heard that fruit is fattening. 

Should I cut out weetabix? I thought they are all bran. 

Dried fruit is worse because it concentrates sugar and you tend to eat more of it than you would if it were not dried.

Fruit in moderation isn't that bad but you should choose fruits with the lowest glycemic loads and most nutrition/calorie. Why eat mango with a GL of 9 when you can eat healthier strawberries with a GL of 1?

https://adrenalfatiguesolution.com/fruits-lowest-glycemic-load/

Weetabix, not that bad but does contain 28 grams of carbs, 10 of which are sugar, per serving. Find a high-fiber nutritious carb w/o sugar, like ground flax seed if you must. Eat more strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and veggies.

After you lose weight you can add back in things gradually and see how your body tolerates them.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Disappointing and slightly unbelievable, I know. But exercise is great for all kinds of reasons besides weight loss.

Dried fruit is worse because it concentrates sugar and you tend to eat more of it than you would if it were not dried.

Fruit in moderation isn't that bad but you should choose fruits with the lowest glycemic loads and most nutrition/calorie. Why eat mango with a GL of 9 when you can eat healthier strawberries with a GL of 1?

https://adrenalfatiguesolution.com/fruits-lowest-glycemic-load/

Weetabix, not that bad but does contain 28 grams of carbs, 10 of which are sugar. Find a high-fiber nutritious carb w/o sugar, like ground flax seed if you must. Eat more strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and veggies.

After you lose weight you can add back in things gradually and see how your body tolerates them.

Is all that working? what's your BMI?

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Been working for quite some time. BMI 21.7, includes a bit of muscle 'cause I do some strength training.

I'm not trying to lose weight just eating as many carbs as i need for energy, carbed up and all that, minimising fat and avoiding fat junk like chocolate, pastries and ice cream. No weight gain and blood test results all good. BMI 23 i don't need to go any lower