Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not trying to lose weight just eating as many carbs as i need for energy, carbed up and all that, minimising fat and avoiding fat junk like chocolate, pastries and ice cream. No weight gain and blood test results all good. BMI 23 i don't need to go any lower

All metabolisms are at least somewhat different and are also in different stages along their evolution or devolution. Everybody has some relative who lived to 95 who smoked, drank, ate ice cream daily and never exercised in his life. There's a bell curve in most areas of genetics. I decided I'm most likely not one of the blessed, so I do what I can to increase my chances of health & longevity. OP will have to try and see what works for him. His current method doesn't seem that successful. People don't want to go low carb because they worry about missing their fave junk. But they won't miss it.

One problem is that what seems working may not in fact be working all what well. Perhaps the symptoms of a problem simply haven't yet shown themselves. Anyone not watching his sugar intake, 'cause he thinks he's doing so great, for example, should nevertheless check the HbA1c levels to make sure a problem isn't developing behind the scenes. Catching it early could make a big difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Fruit in moderation isn't that bad but you should choose fruits with the lowest glycemic loads and most nutrition/calorie. Why eat mango with a GL of 9 when you can eat healthier strawberries with a GL of 1?

I have a large mango tree in my garden ???? 

Thanks, I'll buy more strawberries and blueberries. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have a large mango tree in my garden ???? 

Thanks, I'll buy more strawberries and blueberries. 

I have several and get into real trouble this time of year being a lover of all things Mango. Its really hard, so just cut down and not out.

What I did was reduce carb intake to 50g or less per day. Bread was my downfall previously. It was hard initially cutting out carbs but like anything else, you adjust over time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have several and get into real trouble this time of year being a lover of all things Mango. Its really hard, so just cut down and not out.

What I did was reduce carb intake to 50g or less per day. Bread was my downfall previously. It was hard initially cutting out carbs but like anything else, you adjust over time.

I will try but man, not easy ???? 

• Like 1

You asked earlier about nuts ? Yes they are high in calories and fat, but very healthy, the trick there is portion control. Generally dont eat more than 100g per day.

I am a nutter too ! (No dont answer that !) I got a big container full of nuts n raisins & seeds and grab a handful instead of sweet stuff as a snack. But again watch that portion control.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

You asked earlier about nuts ? Yes they are high in calories and fat, but very healthy, the trick there is portion control. Generally dont eat more than 100g per day.

I am a nutter too ! (No dont answer that !) I got a big container full of nuts n raisins & seeds and grab a handful instead of sweet stuff as a snack. But again watch that portion control.

Thanks, good advice. I've just eaten a 160g bag of mixed  nuts.

• Haha 2

Nuts for weight loss | Nuts for burning belly fat and losing weight
  • Almonds. Almonds are considered as one of the nature's superfoods for their rich content of protein, antioxidants and heart-healthy fats. ...
  • Walnuts. ...
  • Pistachios. ...
  • Brazil Nuts. ...
  • Cashew Nuts.
On 4/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, BritManToo said:

You really need 3 hours of exercise a day to lose weight if not starving yourself.

My phone insists I walk for at least 10,000 steps a day, I'm managing between 11,000 and 12,000 steps.

Nuts are worse than sweets or crisps.

Rubbish

Edited by Meat Pie 47
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:58 AM, BritManToo said:

.... Nuts are worse than sweets or crisps.

Very true, most nuts have a high fat content and if salted, water retention.

Give intermittent  fasting a try,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

All metabolisms are at least somewhat different and are also in different stages along their evolution or devolution. Everybody has some relative who lived to 95 who smoked, drank, ate ice cream daily and never exercised in his life. There's a bell curve in most areas of genetics. I decided I'm most likely not one of the blessed, so I do what I can to increase my chances of health & longevity. OP will have to try and see what works for him. His current method doesn't seem that successful. People don't want to go low carb because they worry about missing their fave junk. But they won't miss it.

One problem is that what seems working may not in fact be working all what well. Perhaps the symptoms of a problem simply haven't yet shown themselves. Anyone not watching his sugar intake, 'cause he thinks he's doing so great, for example, should nevertheless check the HbA1c levels to make sure a problem isn't developing behind the scenes. Catching it early could make a big difference.

I don't see carbs and sugar as the enemy, I appreciate different views on that, things change, i am monitoring my blood though, i hope everyone is

Depends on your age and lifestyle. Younger people can tolerate high white carbs because their metabolism allows them to burn them off (still doesn't make them any less healthy mind you). But for older people, white carbs are the devil. If they don't instantly turn into fat and cause a weight increase they will turn to sugar and your A1C will sky rocket. If you're over 60, forget white rice, white bread and potatoes bigger than a testicle. 

I have "safe meals" which become as boring as heck but they keep the weight under control, grilled chicken breast, broccoli or salad, exchange the chicken breast for fish or a pork loin for variety.  Always eat breakfast, eat the above for lunch and forget dinner at least five days a week. Snack on vegetables and a FEW unsalted nuts and prunes....that's maybe 800 calories a day and I can maybe, maybe, keep my weight level. Life's a bi tch at times and then you die, what a deal that is. ????

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 6:12 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Stop with the nuts

And the fruit sugar bombs, 

If you are trying to lose weight the worst thing you can do is eat fruit, they are loaded with sugar. Sure they have beneficial nutrients, but you can get all these nutrients vis supplements. In order that you lose weight you need to burn your sugar reserves  forcing your body to burn fat. If you give it sugar to burn it will never go into fat burning.

Why would a sensible person replace a natural diet with supplements, you'd have to be crazy to do that. Chances are it's almost impossible to get all the nutrients you need, in the correct proportions and quantities, in supplements alone plus you'd have to take a bunch of them! Everything in moderation. I eat an unripe banana with my oatmeal, that gives me potassium, I'd be crazy to stop that and consume a supplement instead. Half an apple, half an orange, the sugar content in those things are not significant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Why would a sensible person replace a natural diet with supplements, you'd have to be crazy to do that. Chances are it's almost impossible to get all the nutrients you need, in the correct proportions and quantities, in supplements alone plus you'd have to take a bunch of them! Everything in moderation. I eat an unripe banana with my oatmeal, that gives me potassium, I'd be crazy to stop that and consume a supplement instead. Half an apple, half an orange, the sugar content in those things are not significant.

Because he is trying to lose weight, are you not paying attention

PS: an apple has 19 grams of sugar . eating one has almost exhausted your daily allowance of 24 grams of sugar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Because he is trying to lose weight, are you not paying attention

PS: an apple has 19 grams of sugar . eating one has almost exhausted your daily allowance of 24 grams of sugar. 

There's a big difference between refined sugar and naturally occurring sugar in fruit, the body is better able to metabolize fruit than it is refined sugar. And we're all trying to lose weight, some of us quite desperately and radically, that doesn't mean we totally eliminate all the things from our diets that could possibly contribute to weight gain, at the expense of good health.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brierley said:

There's a big difference between refined sugar and naturally occurring sugar in fruit, the body is better able to metabolize fruit than it is refined sugar. And we're all trying to lose weight, some of us quite desperately and radically, that doesn't mean we totally eliminate all the things from our diets that could possibly contribute to weight gain, at the expense of good health.

Yes it is,

refined sugar is absorbed in the body a lot quicker than sugar in fruit that is mixed in with fiber , but it does not stop from being sugar, and if you want to lose weight you better cut it out. 

Personally I don't care what you all do , I am 5' 10" and weight 170 lb I am not trying to lose weight. but as I said, if you are trying to lose weight cut the fruit out. you can always get the nutrients in other ways.  Once you lose weight you can start to eat fruit again if that what you want to do, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Yes it is,

refined sugar is absorbed in the body a lot quicker than sugar in fruit that is mixed in with fiber , but it does not stop from being sugar, and if you want to lose weight you better cut it out. 

Personally I don't care what you all do , I am 5' 10" and weight 170 lb I am not trying to lose weight. but as I said, if you are trying to lose weight cut the fruit out. you can always get the nutrients in other ways.  Once you lose weight you can start to eat fruit again if that what you want to do, 

I don't believe any diet should totally eliminate the basic nutrition that comprise a healthy diet, it's all about moderation. It's a false economy to eliminate food types or groups in order to lose weight, only to add them back in when you've reached your target. Most people just need to adjust their diet and scale them back rather than go nuclear and remove carbs entirely, remove sugars entirely, etc etc, that approach is unnatural and asking for trouble.

In the UK for the summer two years ago I was buying M&S ready meals that were 300 calories per serving, everyone was a balanced meal and they worked really well when combined with lots of walking (driving a car in Thailand is a real killer). The other factor nobody has mentioned is temperatures which I'm certain plays a role. One theory is that Western bodies store fat in summer to prepare for cold winters, which doesn't work well in Thailand because we never get to burn that fat...there are other such theories. How ever it does work, my wife always tells me how much healthier I look when we're in the UK than when we're in Thailand. I'll leave it to you to research this if you wish.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

OP wants to lose weight. That's not the same as eating a healthy diet.

So you think it's OK to diet at the cost of everything else, even your health? I don't think so! I don't think that's what a normal and reasonable person would do or that they would receive that advice from any qualified medical practitioner.

Just now, Brierley said:

So you think it's OK to diet at the cost of everything else, even your health? I don't think so! I don't think that's what a normal and reasonable person would do or that they would receive that advice from any qualified medical practitioner.

My doctor in the UK was a really fat diabetic.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Can u share ur solution?

I am slim, but have a belly. Could be static stole.

Bypass stool is where the large colon gets partially blocked by compacted stool but the muscles in the colon still allow other stool to pass by the blockage. The person doesn't realize there's a blockage because they can still pass stool although it is usually much less well formed. A key symptom is abdominal distention which is less pronounced after a bowel movement. My gastroenterologist alerted me to the problem and an x-ray confirmed things. The solution is to cleanse the bowel using a strong laxative, fortunately I was due to have a colonoscopy so my bowel was 100% emptied. The trick is to weigh yourself at that point and use that as your baseline or unladen weight. Monitor your weight thereafter allowing for the fact that your gut normally contains undigested food, mine weighs about 4 lbs at any time....you will come to understand what your content weight is after a while. Dupholac is a Dutch firm that sells laxative medicine in Thailand, the product is well regarded.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, Neeranam said:

I also do a 6pack app thing. 

I will try to run more but... 

Are nuts fattening?

Nuts are very fattening!  But they also have protein and other essential minerals.  So they are good for your health, but don't eat too many ????

• Like 2

Calorie counting works.  The problem is that reverting to old eating habits brings the weight right back on.

One approach is to get a free account on myfitnesspal.com and enter the food you eat at every meal.  You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh portions.  If you do that and if you target, let's say, 1200 calories per day, then you will lose weight, probably around 2 pounds per week.  Weighing yourself daily and averaging the last 7 days filters out the noise.

Myfitnesspal has a database of thousands of brands with all the nutritional information for each.  So, brand names are easy.  

Running is excellent exercise, but you won't actually burn many calories that way.  You can log your runs into myfitnesspal, also, if you like.  But running does help by suppressing the appetite somewhat.

Counting calories works just as counting anything you can is helpful when undertaking any new endeavor.  It gives a sense of progress, before measurable progress becomes available.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Calorie counting works.  The problem is that reverting to old eating habits brings the weight right back on.

One approach is to get a free account on myfitnesspal.com and enter the food you eat at every meal.  You'll need a kitchen scale to weigh portions.  If you do that and if you target, let's say, 1200 calories per day, then you will lose weight, probably around 2 pounds per week.  Weighing yourself daily and averaging the last 7 days filters out the noise.

Myfitnesspal has a database of thousands of brands with all the nutritional information for each.  So, brand names are easy.  

Running is excellent exercise, but you won't actually burn many calories that way.  You can log your runs into myfitnesspal, also, if you like.  But running does help by suppressing the appetite somewhat.

Counting calories works just as counting anything you can is helpful when undertaking any new endeavor.  It gives a sense of progress, before measurable progress becomes available.

It worked for me too, and help educate me on what I was actually eating. It highlights problem areas to avoid.

I used Mynetdiary, similar to the above, also entered the cycling details that I started, as it burned more calories and had less impact on the joints than running etc. Good aerobic exercise too. I built up to 70km a week.

• Like 1

One last thought from me....not all meals count the same. Breakfast, assuming it's a normal reasonable sort of meal it shouldn't be counted towards your caloric intake for the day, at least that's what one school of thought suggests. The thinking is that breakfast calories are burned off in most people before they have a chance to become fat. Lunch is slightly different story and dinner is very much of different story. The closer the meal is to your sleep time, the more significant the potential is for weight gain, for me that means missing out dinner completely and lunch becomes my main meal of the day.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

It worked for me too, and help educate me on what I was actually eating. It highlights problem areas to avoid.

I used Mynetdiary, similar to the above, also entered the cycling details that I started, as it burned more calories and had less impact on the joints than running etc. Good aerobic exercise too. I built up to 70km a week.

Also, when you have a calorie budget the grilled, half chicken breast begins to look much more appealing than ice cream or potato chips.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brierley said:

One last thought from me....not all meals count the same. Breakfast, assuming it's a normal reasonable sort of meal it shouldn't be counted towards your caloric intake for the day, at least that's what one school of thought suggests. The thinking is that breakfast calories are burned off in most people before they have a chance to become fat. Lunch is slightly different story and dinner is very much of different story. The closer the meal is to your sleep time, the more significant the potential is for weight gain, for me that means missing out dinner completely and lunch becomes my main meal of the day.

Maybe you should not give any advice. This totally bonkers. There MIGHt be a small difference in how it is processed but in the end the calories count. The myth of things turning to fat get old. There has been plenty of research that shows that it does not matter when a meal is taken. (minor at best differences)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe you should not give any advice. This totally bonkers. There MIGHt be a small difference in how it is processed but in the end the calories count. The myth of things turning to fat get old. There has been plenty of research that shows that it does not matter when a meal is taken. (minor at best differences)

I don't agree although I do think life style plays a role. The healthy breakfast that is taken at the start of the day stands far less chance of becoming fat if it is followed by twelve hours of exercise. Compare that with large dinner that is taken two hours before eight hors sleep and all meals are not the same.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brierley said:

I don't agree although I do think life style plays a role. The healthy breakfast that is taken at the start of the day stands far less chance of becoming fat if it is followed by twelve hours of exercise. Compare that with large dinner that is taken two hours before eight hors sleep and all meals are not the same.

I don't really care that you don't agree. I have plenty of studies proving otherwise.

But i do agree that life style plays a role. Plus i do agree breakfast is important but saying that the breakfast calories don't count is misleading and  crazy. There MIGHT be a small difference but that is not even close to burning a complete breakfast.

Also it is found that a bigger breakfast helps to keep you full. I do believe in meal tapering a so breakfast is more important. But to act like the calories don't count is exaggerating to the extreme.

• Like 2