Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm 55. I have a 6 pack app on my phone. Do about 20 minutes every day but so far no 6 pack ???? 

Lot younger then i thought. Then you certainly can do some body weight exercises. That six pack is not only dependent on abb exercises but more so on low bodyfat. Realistically you need to go around 10-12% bodyfat to see your abs. That is way lower then what the average person wants to go.

But adding some bodyweight exercises like pushups pull ups dips will help. Personally i would add some stuff with weights if possible. But that is only because you can go only so far with bodyweight exercises. At some point they wont build more muscle. Muscle is something you get from progressive overload within a certain rep range. That is hard to do with bodyweight as  adding resistance can get hard.

For push ups you can go to one handed ones or slower. But in the end its hard. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brierley said:

Depends on your age and lifestyle. Younger people can tolerate high white carbs because their metabolism allows them to burn them off (still doesn't make them any less healthy mind you). But for older people, white carbs are the devil. If they don't instantly turn into fat and cause a weight increase they will turn to sugar and your A1C will sky rocket. If you're over 60, forget white rice, white bread and potatoes bigger than a testicle. 

I have "safe meals" which become as boring as heck but they keep the weight under control, grilled chicken breast, broccoli or salad, exchange the chicken breast for fish or a pork loin for variety.  Always eat breakfast, eat the above for lunch and forget dinner at least five days a week. Snack on vegetables and a FEW unsalted nuts and prunes....that's maybe 800 calories a day and I can maybe, maybe, keep my weight level. Life's a bi tch at times and then you die, what a deal that is. ????

must be hard to keep a good mood with that diet, starving all the time, hormones must be all over the place

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

must be hard to keep a good mood with that diet, starving all the time, hormones must be all over the place

It hasn't been a problem for me but I am older, my daily caloric needs are quite low, despite the fact I do a lot of exercise. I also take Vit D every day which I suspect helps with moods.

• Like 1

OP you are eating a healthy diet, bit it's got too many calories if you want to loose weight.

Fruit is healthy, but full of sugar and calories. The nuts are really high in calories!!  

Similarly, the fruit juices and drinks have a lot of calories and sugar, often more than the fizzy soda drinks like Coke or Pepsi!  

Two weeks is too short a time to worry about. Loosing weight can be like Karma - you can't count on an instant result but every bit of work you do pays off someday. I find my body works in "set points" - weights at which I've spent a long period of time in the past act like resistance points. Sometimes it takes a while to break through those levels and then I'll loose more than expected in just a few days.  If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning - you're doing it right. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BigStar said:

Most everything. Fruit (except berries), mango, weetabix, 4 slices of loaf, nuts, and expecting your 25 km/wk will make any appreciable difference. Might make you eat more, actually.

Here you'll hear only simple-minded repetitions of CICO (calories in/calories out). We love that counting, seems so precise, except the calorie deficit is an unknown moving target. That usually doesn't work, as is clear by how well it's been doing for the general population. 

Problem is, your metabolism and internal energy expenditure simply adjust to make up for the deficit and maintain your weight. And, you stay hungry. Once you're off the diet, you regain any weight you managed to starve off.

IF you're serious you gotta get right on down to them hormones, man. Go low carb/keto; practice intermittent fasting; lower the body set point and keep the glucose level low and insulin response low at all times. So: no need for any calorie counting, or maybe just a little during fasting days in some fasting methods, e. g., 5:2. Exercise for fitness only (a sufficient reason in itself), forget about calorie expenditure.

This method is sustainable because you don't stay hungry. You no longer desire bread, rice, potatoes, breaded fried cr.a.p, ice cream, and other sugars. Few people, esp the carbs and sugar addicted, can live with hunger.

Ace TVF Nutritionists sometimes claim, falsely, that low carb/fasting/hormonal theory has been debunked or is a "fad." No, it has a long respectable history, has been used therapeutically for a very long time, and is becoming ever more recognized and popular. Why? Valid theory that works in practice. I've personally seen some remarkable success stories.

Here's a short intro that won't stress our attention spans terribly:

Longer explanation:

My weight loss journey started with Jason Fung Videos and understanding why I was putting on weight.

I was 78kg and reduced that to 64 kg, losing a consistent 200g per day or about 1kg per week. There are many ways to go and I chose One Meal a Day, however I found that too hard and chose the 18 hour fasting, with breakfast at 6am and lunch at noon and nothing until the next morning.

I was only successful once I got the Cronometer tracking app as it is so easy to underestimate how many calories there are in certain foods.

Edited by markeewan
  • Like 1

I find getting sick or feeling sick does it for me! I loose my appetite and the weight just drops off. Heat has a similar effect. I believe anorexia is a sickness and like many posters that in itself should make the weight drop off.

5 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I find getting sick or feeling sick does it for me! I loose my appetite and the weight just drops off. Heat has a similar effect. I believe anorexia is a sickness and like many posters that in itself should make the weight drop off.

March and April you might just disappear !

On 4/19/2021 at 5:34 PM, Brierley said:

I agree. That said, my body functions best when sub 85kgs, my blood sugar levels are much more easily managed and my lower back/disk problems are not painful at all. My desired and optimum weight is 80 kgs but it's impossible to attain.

which rather proves the point that we are all individuals and cannot be categorised by a very wide interpretation of weight such as  BMI

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, Neeranam said:

2 weeks ago, I started cutting out an evening meal, drinking only a fruit/vegetable shake. I only eat weetabix and mango for breakfast and 2 sandwiches(4 slices of loaf) for lunch. The only other thing I eat is mixed nuts in the evening when very hungry. 

I was 89 kg and dropped to 87 kg, but now 88 kg. I am 190 cm tall.

I also run 25 km per week. 

What could I be doing wrong? 

Expecting results too fast. 

What is in the fruit shake?   I suspect it's too much fructose (fruit sugar) which is messing with our insulin response.

• Like 1

Just now, Freddy42OZ said:

What is in the fruit shake?   I suspect it's too much fructose (fruit sugar) which is messing with our insulin response.

I believe mango, yoghurt, celery, banana mostly. 

was watching NFL Hard Knocks and they were following the Texans.  Looking at Vince Wilfork, all 350 lbs of him, fat and fast and an athlete destined for the HoF. .  You have to chuckle when you consider what his BMI must be. 

19 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I love sugar, fruit, carbs, rice loads of it and my HbA1c is as good as it gets

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

How should one fast?

I am only a beginner but the most popular method seems to be 16:8. That means, don't eat after dinner, skip breakfast and wait until about noon (16 hours) before eating. You can drink only water, black tea or coffee.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

which rather proves the point that we are all individuals and cannot be categorised by a very wide interpretation of weight such as  BMI

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately the UK medical profession doesn't see things that way, at least, my UK doctor doesn't. At my last health check he said he wanted me at 75kgs, "that's what the computer says", I asked him which leg he wanted to amputate to achieve that! But it highlighted an interesting point. Previously, according to BMI I am borderline overweight. But the formulae for BMI was rewritten and the goal posts moved, I'm now very firmly in overweight territory, actually, borderline obese. Knowing my body as I do I would say my revised BMI scale is quite accurate, albeit I can probably never reach it.

5 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately the UK medical profession doesn't see things that way, at least, my UK doctor doesn't. At my last health check he said he wanted me at 75kgs, "that's what the computer says", I asked him which leg he wanted to amputate to achieve that! But it highlighted an interesting point. Previously, according to BMI I am borderline overweight. But the formulae for BMI was rewritten and the goal posts moved, I'm now very firmly in overweight territory, actually, borderline obese. Knowing my body as I do I would say my revised BMI scale is quite accurate, albeit I can probably never reach it.

Thankfully they are more advanced in the Netherlands there they accept that BMI does not work for everyone especially for people who are muscular. I have been so lean that all abs were visible but still classified as obese ????

But today in the news they were commenting on the problems with BMI. Its too broad and does not work good. Problem is that insurance companies do use it and others too. 

• Like 1

Eat as though you are pre diabetic.

I lost 4 kg in a 6 weeks or so after giving up almost all sugar and checking how much sugar is in everything I buy. Sugar is in most supermarket food, but less in some products depending on brand.

I haven't done anything different otherwise re exercise etc.

It's not just sugar- it's everything that is easily converted to sugars after eating.

This was after trying unsuccessfully to lose weight for years- I ate a lot of sugar all the time.

BTW some fruit is exceptionally high in sugar.

Not sure why people make such a problem about mango i mean its only 60 calories per 100 grams. That is not much at all. Take 100 grams of healthy nuts and your in the 300-400 calories range. So snacking on a mango is much better.

• Like 1