Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

10 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Ripe banana's yes, those with a slightly green skin are OK.

True. I wonder if that also applies to the Thai variety of sweet green mango. It isn't any unripe mango, it's a particular variety which is always eaten green.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I am only a beginner but the most popular method seems to be 16:8. That means, don't eat after dinner, skip breakfast and wait until about noon (16 hours) before eating. You can drink only water, black tea or coffee.

Thanks. I am an absolute beginner regarding dieting. Never had to worry about it before.

You don’t loose wight by running! Start 10 km fast walking together with half till one hour a day power training. Stop the weetabix and eat some salad with one slice chicken ham. 
drink in the morning 3 a 4 spoons apple vinegar in a glass of water, if to sour add some surrogate sugar. It’s not only a detox but you also loose wight and your digestion works better in the day.

Cut half of the amount of nuts and eat a salad in the evening. Dieet is not being hungry but eat more times lesser portions a day.  Eat in between fruit with low sugars.

success! 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Nuts are high calorie too but are suggested snack foods, just don't eat very many in any one day.

I had pitta bread today, is that bad?

I love my mexican rolls. I don't want to ask about avacadoes, as they are my favourite. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

True. I wonder if that also applies to the Thai variety of sweet green mango. It isn't any unripe mango, it's a particular variety which is always eaten green.

Don't you sometimes look at this stuff and wonder where your life went wrong? Eat green banana's, eat green strawberries, did I annoy the food gods or something!  :))

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Mangos are high in sugar albeit natural sugar but still sugar thus high calorie.  Nuts are high calorie too but are suggested snack foods, just don't eat very many in any one day.

It's not just the measured calories, but also how easily the food is converted to sugar in the body. Perhaps nuts convert more slowly than mangos.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure why people make such a problem about mango

People who like Keto (or similar) diets often act like they have been brainwashed, and hate carbs ????

I also recommend to reduce carbs, but there is really no problem with eating a Mango now and then, important is to do it in moderation and not two Mangos every day.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I love my mexican rolls. I don't want to ask about avacadoes, as they are my favourite. 

Both are not good for losing weight.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

High calorie good healthy fats. 160 calories per 100 gram still way below the nuts that you eat. I am talking about avocados not mexican roll.. not sure what is in there.

2 weeks ago, I started cutting out an evening meal, drinking only a fruit/vegetable shake. I only eat weetabix and mango for breakfast and 2 sandwiches(4 slices of loaf) for lunch. The only other thing I eat is mixed nuts in the evening when very hungry. 

A lot of fruit juice has plenty of sugar added even when you read 100 % fruit juice. Eat proper bread you can get at Big C, for example.

Nuts have so many calories that you should slow down as well. 

I was 89 kg and dropped to 87 kg, but now 88 kg. I am 190 cm tall.

Running doesn't make you lose much weight, go swimming and you'll lose a lot of weight. Twice a week, or more.

You can even make exercises when you go to bed, by lifting your legs, then to the left and to the right. 

I also run 25 km per week. 

What could I be doing wrong? 

Eat the heathy red rice they give to the pigs. Stay away from junk food and you'll see that you can lose many kg in only one month. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

People who like Keto (or similar) diets often act like they have been brainwashed, and hate carbs ????

I also recommend to reduce carbs, but there is really no problem with eating a Mango now and then, important is to do it in moderation and not two Mangos every day.

Yes they have been brainwashed... i mean 60 calories per 100 gram. That is really low calories. Moderation is everything. But calories still count and fatty foods often are far more caloric dense.

The sugar fear is crazy, i understand that refined sugar is bad but fruits come with fibers and those slow the release of those sugars and don't give a high blood sugar spike. Also at 60 calories there wont be much of a insulin spike.

I try to get filling foods so im not hungry, so food that is high volume but low caloric. Like salads and some fruits.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/weight-loss/mango-for-weight-loss-myth-or-fact/articleshow/69325898.cms#:~:text=In order to reduce the,mangoes are a great choice.&text=Eating mangoes won't really,for successful weight loss results.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brayka said:

You don’t loose wight by running! Start 10 km fast walking together with half till one hour a day power training. Stop the weetabix and eat some salad with one slice chicken ham. 
drink in the morning 3 a 4 spoons apple vinegar in a glass of water, if to sour add some surrogate sugar. It’s not only a detox but you also loose wight and your digestion works better in the day.

Cut half of the amount of nuts and eat a salad in the evening. Dieet is not being hungry but eat more times lesser portions a day.  Eat in between fruit with low sugars.

success! 

No way I could drink that amount of apple cider vinegar in one go. One spoon is all I can manage, but definitely drink as much water as possible in the morning. I try to pass 2 liters urine a day. The diabetic nurse says weetbix is OK with unsweetened yoghurt.

By surrogate sugar I assume you mean sugar substitute. I haven't found any that are as sweet as sugar and most are useless. On brand claimed 1 sachet = 1 teaspoon sugar, but I could use 8 sachets and still not taste it. Any suggestions please? Nothing with aspartame though- I hate the taste.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No way I could drink that amount of apple cider vinegar in one go. One spoon is all I can manage, but definitely drink as much water as possible in the morning. I try to pass 2 liters urine a day. The diabetic nurse says weetbix is OK with unsweetened yoghurt.

By surrogate sugar I assume you mean sugar substitute. I haven't found any that are as sweet as sugar and most are useless. On brand claimed 1 sachet = 1 teaspoon sugar, but I could use 8 sachets and still not taste it. Any suggestions please? Nothing with aspartame though- I hate the taste.

monkfruit?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Xylitol, half the calories of sugar, doesn't spike blood sugar, same level of sweetness compared to sugar, in my opinion best taste of all sugar substitute.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

fruits come with fibers and those slow the release of those sugars and don't give a high blood sugar spike.

Fruit juice as sold in supermarkets can be reconstituted, which means that all the fiber was stripped out in the factory. Probably OK to drink unreconstituted fruit juice. I'm lucky in that I can get all the oranges I want ( for free ) and squeeze them to drink with as much pulp as I can save.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fruit juice as sold in supermarkets can be reconstituted, which means that all the fiber was stripped out in the factory. Probably OK to drink unreconstituted fruit juice. I'm lucky in that I can get all the oranges I want ( for free ) and squeeze them to drink with as much pulp as I can save.

I love fresh pressed orange juice to death! You're a lucky guy. If anybody believes what's on a fruit juice bottle, or packet, then they should also believe in Santa Claus and Snow White. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Xylitol, half the calories of sugar, doesn't spike blood sugar, same level of sweetness compared to sugar, in my opinion best taste of all sugar substitute.

Thanks. I haven't seen it for sale though.

Just checked internet and seems it's only mail order in NZ.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

One of the basic rules for dieting: Don't drink calories. This means no fruit juice.

I'm not dieting. I've just given up as much sugar as possible. I still eat as much as I used to. The objective is to delay diabetes as long as possible, not per se to lose weight, though I lost 4 kg already without trying.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks. I haven't seen it for sale though.

Just checked internet and seems it's only mail order in NZ.

I ordered mine from this shop: https://shopee.co.th/S011XT-1KG-ไซลิทอล-Xylitol-ขนาด-1-กก.-i.57411017.2896659932

They also sell it in 250g bags, if you want to try it first: https://shopee.co.th/S011XT-250G-ไซลิทอล-Xylitol-ขนาด-250-กรัม-i.57411017.1448048561

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How should one fast?

That can take various forms. You can even mix & match. Most people find the eating window approach easiest. @Jingthing has been doing that with some success and he does enjoy eating.

https://reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/index

Find support, knowledgeable posters, and some great success stories here:

https://reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/threads/who-else-is-fasting-with-fantastic-results.132770/

Our CICO experts think fasting works by simply reducing caloric intake. Wrong. Read up on it.

Here's an active low carb forum:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/

It's all very doable and after a few weeks you won't much miss all the foods you think you'll miss, because you won't be hungry for them. Think of it as overcoming an addiction. The beginning may not be so pleasant, as usual with beginnings that require work and change of comfortable habits. You have it easy. Can you imagine the shock and horror a Thai experienced when I suggested she stop eating rice? Took a while but she finally accepted the idea, eased into low carb, and lost 10 kilos. And kept it off, too.

BTW, weight loss isn't a linear process. Some weeks you lose, others you gain, others you plateau. Think in terms of months. Nor should it be rapid, as much as we'd like it to be. Instant gratification--no, that ain't happenin'. Slower is healthier and has a better effect on the body weight set point. Getting that down, eventually, will helpful for the occasional splurge, if you can do it w/o reverting to more pig-like habits. Some addicts can't stop with just a little, you know.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not dieting. I've just given up as much sugar as possible. I still eat as much as I used to. The objective is to delay diabetes as long as possible, not per se to lose weight, though I lost 4 kg already without trying.

That's my goal as well. I'm 66. My problem was milk. I drank up to 2 litres a day for decades, thinking I was OK as I always bought low fat.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Eat as much carbs, rice sugar as you need, minimise fat and you'll lose weight, don't starve yourself.

I'm eating more carbs, rice, sugar as ever and I'm leaner than ever before, fit and 72kg

But occult type 2 diabetic and slowly and painfully killing yourself. You won't notice it...for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I should really drink more water but I really dislike it. 

Try adding some straight lime juice into it to give it some taste. There is really no alternative to water given that you need to drink 2 or 3 litres of it a day. But not if fasting.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2