Can't Lose Weight

Neeranam

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That's my goal as well. I'm 66. My problem was milk. I drank up to 2 litres a day for decades, thinking I was OK as I always bought low fat.

The diabetic nurse told me that low fat is higher in sugar than normal milk. Apparently something to do with the factory processing. I've given up low fat and drink normal milk now, but only in tea and coffee, not by itself or with cereal- I use unsweetened yoghurt with cereal instead.

Lots of traps for the unwary. I've given up spaghetti because pasta breaks down to sugar too fast, but baked beans are OK- lots of fiber.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Fat returns to muscle so weight stay the same. Exercise more and drink more water based drinks with vitamins if that is what you need to do to drink water. No sugar vitamin in drinks. Cut out bread and rice. .

White bread is a no no, but diabetic nurse says whole grain bread is OK. Obviously everything in moderation.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, Brierley said:

He might just be. But the commonly used BMI scale puts me right on the edge of slightly obese, the three rewritten algorithms for BMI all put me overweight or obese. 

Rubbish - your bmi is 24.6 - no pomplem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Fat returns to muscle so weight stay the same. Exercise more and drink more water based drinks with vitamins if that is what you need to do to drink water. No sugar vitamin in drinks. Cut out bread and rice. .

Fat gets replaced by muscle it does not turn into muscle. So you could weigh the same and look better. I think that is what you mean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fruit juice as sold in supermarkets can be reconstituted, which means that all the fiber was stripped out in the factory. Probably OK to drink unreconstituted fruit juice. I'm lucky in that I can get all the oranges I want ( for free ) and squeeze them to drink with as much pulp as I can save.

Fruit juice is always worse then fruit because not all of the fruit is used. They always leave some fiber out that is why its always better to eat fruit instead of juicing it. It far more filling.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

Fat gets replaced by muscle it does not turn into muscle. So you could weigh the same and look better. I think that is what you mean.

Thnx robblok. Pretty much as I have known over the years as how I have recorded it and wrote it wrong. .Yes, fat weight goes away, then muscly weight comes back. thnx 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thnx robblok. Pretty much as I have known over the years as how I have recorded it and wrote it wrong. .Yes, fat weight goes away, then muscly weight comes back. thnx 

Basically, you get rid of fat and ten add the muscle which is consistent to your weight. 

Listen to the Thai people. You think too much. I used to mock them for this saying but I have come to realize that they are the smart ones. After 13 months imprisoned in my tiny house in Canada I became so depressed, lethargic and overweight.

Then I found my savior. His name is Wim Hof the "iceman". Look him up on youtube. You don't need to buy his expensive courses because everything you really need is available free. He has taught me how to breath and how beneficial cold can be to jumpstart your body. 

I have been up for a sunrise swim every morning for the last week (9C water). I have never had so much energy before. I can't sit around anymore. I am out paddling my kayak and swimming in the afternoon too and usually go out for a paddle at sunset.

Wim only eats one meal a day and gets the rest of his energy from deep breathing. I encourage everyone to look him up.

Don't think...just do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keto and intermittent fasting,

These are proven ways to keep weight off and in some instances very quickly.

There's a ton of info if you research, but I won't lie, initially you will be rather cranky with a sudden drop in blood sugar and eventual lowering of metabolic rate, ie, you're body thinks it's starving and makes adjustments.

As posters have mentioned, Keto is one form of daily fasting where you simply don't eat anything for a certain period, (18 to 22 hours), blood sugar has long since been depleted so your body goes into a state of ketosis, where its now forced to convert body fat to sugar for energy.

Many can tolerate this form of fasting fairly easily.

Next is whole day fasting, many different schedules, some feel positive health benefits quickly and make this a life-style.

Popular is the two and one, normal eating for two days, nothing on the third, 

if tolerating without too much issue, increase fasting days.

I tend to cycle weight, very heavy in winter, normal in summer, 

I start of with a knock-down schedule of fasting. Nothing to eat for three or four days.

A large weight loss happens quickly, (albeit a lot will be water weight).

Regardless, you start to look and feel better immediately which motivates you to continue your intermittent fasting schedule.

Once getting near your target, revert to a healthy eating regime, albeit with reduced cals for maint.

Edited by cobra

2 hours ago, cobra said:

As posters have mentioned, Keto is one form of daily fasting where you simply don't eat anything for a certain period, (18 to 22 hours), blood sugar has long since been depleted so your body goes into a state of ketosis, where its now forced to convert body fat to sugar for energy.

You are throwing together "Keto" and "intermittent fasting", these are two different ways to diet, which can be combined though, Keto on its own has nothing to do with fasting.

Regarding: "where its now forced to convert body fat to sugar for energy": This is nothing exclusive to Keto or IM, this always happens with any diet that puts you in a caloric deficit, this is just how our body works.

9 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

and gets the rest of his energy from deep breathing.

Did you also try this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Basically, you get rid of fat and ten add the muscle which is consistent to your weight. 

Yes for many if they add some sports especially sports that build some muscle then they might stay at the same weight but start looking better. Clothes would fit better even though the same weight. It happens a lot. That is why taking a cm measure of your belly is sometimes better then standing on the scales. Scales dont tell the whole story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cobra said:

Keto and intermittent fasting,

These are proven ways to keep weight off and in some instances very quickly.

There's a ton of info if you research, but I won't lie, initially you will be rather cranky with a sudden drop in blood sugar and eventual lowering of metabolic rate, ie, you're body thinks it's starving and makes adjustments.

Many can tolerate this form of fasting fairly easily.

Next is whole day fasting, many different schedules, some feel positive health benefits quickly and make this a life-style.

Popular is the two and one, normal eating for two days, nothing on the third, 

if tolerating without too much issue, increase fasting days.

I tend to cycle weight, very heavy in winter, normal in summer, 

I start of with a knock-down schedule of fasting. Nothing to eat for three or four days.

A large weight loss happens quickly, (albeit a lot will be water weight).

Regardless, you start to look and feel better immediately which motivates you to continue your intermittent fasting schedule.

Once getting near your target, revert to a healthy eating regime, albeit with reduced cals for maint.

Just for the record I don't think you have a good idea about what keto means. If you have normal days in between then you will be out of ketose in no time. That negates the whole " supposed" benefit of turning your body into a fat burning machine when you get into ketose.

I say supposed as keto is not that much more effective as caloric restrictions. In laboratory tests (gold standard) its shown not to work much better as caloric restrictions.  Having said that for some people it works for others it does not.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, Neeranam said:

I also cut out a very big meal in the evening, that's why I can't understand not losing heaps. Maybe it takes longer. 

In my opinion, you are doing it all wrong, having said that, I lost 10kg in 4 months, my target was to lose it in 10 months, so how did I do it, well, I didn't stop at 10kg when I lost 10kg much earlier than my target, so I went on to lose another 5kg after that, and if I do recall, those 5kg took about an extra 2 months to lose, i.e. slower.

I am 183cm and was 90kg and went down to 75kg, but not before exercising and changing my diet, that said, you also have to rick your body and not stick to the same foods and have a cheat day where you can have something you enjoy, something healthy, but in moderation.

Your body loses the most fat when you exercise 1st thing in the morning, so first up, a black cup of coffee, then I would hit the treadmill for 45 minutes. First it would be a 2 minute warm up after some stretching and then walk at a good pace of 6 then I would do HIIT, high intensity interval training, up it to 10 for a minute, then drop back to 5 for half a minute, then back to 10 which of course if flat chat, and then again after a minute back to 6, then depending on how I would feel, would do 10 at 2 minutes or more. If your not sweating, your not going to lose it, if you don't have a treadmill, not a problem, just do it in your neighbourhood, the bonus there is you can avoid those blackouts and not be thrown forward into the treadmill when your on 10 as I once was...lol, not nice, also remember to keep your water intake up also so that you don't dehydrate.

Doing the above keeps your heart rate up during the day, so you will be burning fat by doing nothing, but it's also good to keep moving and doing other stuff, I also used to do weights because that fat has to be also turned into muscle unless you want to look skinny.

Clean food is also key, and it must be filling so that you don't keep getting hungry.

Nothing wrong with nuts as long as they are the healthy type, e.g. good fats, like a handful of almonds when you feel a little peckish, walnuts are also good, but the best thing is to train your mind to sip on water when you feel hungry, because water will make the hunger pains go, not to much, enough to stop the hunger pains.

Don't eat breakfast straight away, allow your body to go to your fatty reserves, i.e. the reason your body stores fat is to use it when you are hungry, so allow it to burn some as energy or fuel which usually comes from carb foods. Oats in the morning with cinnamon will keep you full till 1-2, add a banana if you like, and watch out what milk you add as you want the calories to be low.

You need to drop you calorie intake, as the saying goes, calories in, calories out, so if your currently eating 2,500 calories a day, drop it down to 2,000 for the 1st-2nd week and then to 1,500 thereafter while continuing with your HIIT.

Reducing you calorie intake as well as doing HIIT is a double up, e.g. if you drop your calorie intake down to 1,500, you will be losing 7,000 calories a week and lets assume you lose 300 calories a day on the treadmill or on the road, that' an extra 2,100 calories so 9,000 calories is about 4kg, but don't expect to lose that in a week as it's not healthy and could cause you some problems, so start off slow as you want to enjoy the journey and watch the transformation.

It is not that hard to do, but you have to be focused and dedicated, and most people put it back on after a while, I did after a year, currently 86kg, so I put on 11kg, however I now do weights so I have bulked up and look much better than the skinny 75kg guy I got to see, losing the mid section is good if you can as that tyre is not healthy, that said, it is not an easy task and there are other factors that can keep it where it is, e.g. medications, family history of diabetes and hidden sugars in foods.

When you get to a certain level, you will stop losing weight, that said, depending on your age, be careful not to push yourself to hard, especially if you have any issues, I pushed myself hard, and survived, and feel better for it, but watch out for those injuries that can also set you back.

As for clean food, fish, eggs, meat, salads with every meal, avoid rice, pasta, bread, and anything that has sugars in it, mango is high in sugar as are Weetbix if I recall and anything they say that is low in sugar is BS because they will put something else in it to preserve it's shelve life.

That should just about rap it up, good luck and break a sweat. 

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

In my opinion, you are doing it all wrong, having said that, I lost 10kg in 4 months, my target was to lose it in 10 months, so how did I do it, well, I didn't stop at 10kg when I lost 10kg much earlier than my target, so I went on to lose another 5kg after that, and if I do recall, those 5kg took about an extra 2 months to lose, i.e. slower.

I am 183cm and was 90kg and went down to 75kg, but not before exercising and changing my diet, that said, you also have to rick your body and not stick to the same foods and have a cheat day where you can have something you enjoy, something healthy, but in moderation.

Your body loses the most fat when you exercise 1st thing in the morning, so first up, a black cup of coffee, then I would hit the treadmill for 45 minutes. First it would be a 2 minute warm up after some stretching and then walk at a good pace of 6 then I would do HIIT, high intensity interval training, up it to 10 for a minute, then drop back to 5 for half a minute, then back to 10 which of course if flat chat, and then again after a minute back to 6, then depending on how I would feel, would do 10 at 2 minutes or more. If your not sweating, your not going to lose it, if you don't have a treadmill, not a problem, just do it in your neighbourhood, the bonus there is you can avoid those blackouts and not be thrown forward into the treadmill when your on 10 as I once was...lol, not nice, also remember to keep your water intake up also so that you don't dehydrate.

Doing the above keeps your heart rate up during the day, so you will be burning fat by doing nothing, but it's also good to keep moving and doing other stuff, I also used to do weights because that fat has to be also turned into muscle unless you want to look skinny.

Clean food is also key, and it must be filling so that you don't keep getting hungry.

Nothing wrong with nuts as long as they are the healthy type, e.g. good fats, like a handful of almonds when you feel a little peckish, walnuts are also good, but the best thing is to train your mind to sip on water when you feel hungry, because water will make the hunger pains go, not to much, enough to stop the hunger pains.

Don't eat breakfast straight away, allow your body to go to your fatty reserves, i.e. the reason your body stores fat is to use it when you are hungry, so allow it to burn some as energy or fuel which usually comes from carb foods. Oats in the morning with cinnamon will keep you full till 1-2, add a banana if you like, and watch out what milk you add as you want the calories to be low.

You need to drop you calorie intake, as the saying goes, calories in, calories out, so if your currently eating 2,500 calories a day, drop it down to 2,000 for the 1st-2nd week and then to 1,500 thereafter while continuing with your HIIT.

Reducing you calorie intake as well as doing HIIT is a double up, e.g. if you drop your calorie intake down to 1,500, you will be losing 7,000 calories a week and lets assume you lose 300 calories a day on the treadmill or on the road, that' an extra 2,100 calories so 9,000 calories is about 4kg, but don't expect to lose that in a week as it's not healthy and could cause you some problems, so start off slow as you want to enjoy the journey and watch the transformation.

It is not that hard to do, but you have to be focused and dedicated, and most people put it back on after a while, I did after a year, currently 86kg, so I put on 11kg, however I now do weights so I have bulked up and look much better than the skinny 75kg guy I got to see, losing the mid section is good if you can as that tyre is not healthy, that said, it is not an easy task and there are other factors that can keep it where it is, e.g. medications, family history of diabetes and hidden sugars in foods.

When you get to a certain level, you will stop losing weight, that said, depending on your age, be careful not to push yourself to hard, especially if you have any issues, I pushed myself hard, and survived, and feel better for it, but watch out for those injuries that can also set you back.

As for clean food, fish, eggs, meat, salads with every meal, avoid rice, pasta, bread, and anything that has sugars in it, mango is high in sugar as are Weetbix if I recall and anything they say that is low in sugar is BS because they will put something else in it to preserve it's shelve life.

That should just about rap it up, good luck and break a sweat. 

Actually there is quite some data on this being right. Your metabolic rate will go down after too much dieting. So cheat days or days or weeks you eat normally are good to help that back up. I cant find the right name. But there was some research done showing a diet where you restrict calories one week and eat a bit more the next beating all even keto. 

But the key was when eating more still healthy and not too much. But losing weight is a marathon not a sprint.

• Like 2

@Neeranam

There is one thing you should think about too. Weight loss is not always linear. For instance you could have lost fat but the water is still in the body. Then at some point you expell it. Also hormones and different kinds of food can hold more water.

2 weeks is really to short you need to take much longer and follow the trend.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, Brierley said:

He might just be. But the commonly used BMI scale puts me right on the edge of slightly obese, the three rewritten algorithms for BMI all put me overweight or obese. 

I was Obese Type 1 in this pic. BMI is rubbish

EDDDB2C1-7076-4EEC-AF3F-871C0ECF867C.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

@Neeranam

There is one thing you should think about too. Weight loss is not always linear. For instance you could have lost fat but the water is still in the body. Then at some point you expell it. Also hormones and different kinds of food can hold more water.

2 weeks is really to short you need to take much longer and follow the trend.

How old are you robblock? I think it will be useful to understand posters ages relative to the advice that they give, or at least, help put into context what has worked for them. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:01 AM, Brierley said:

There's a big difference between refined sugar and naturally occurring sugar in fruit, the body is better able to metabolize fruit than it is refined sugar. And we're all trying to lose weight, some of us quite desperately and radically, that doesn't mean we totally eliminate all the things from our diets that could possibly contribute to weight gain, at the expense of good health.

Talking about sugar here, what about Lite sugar? It says 50% on the packet, but the wording is in Thai so I'm not sure whether it is half calorie sugar or not.

2 minutes ago, Brierley said:

How old are you robblock? I think it will be useful to understand posters ages relative to the advice that they give, or at least, help put into context what has worked for them. 

47, and that has nothing to do with the fact that weight loss is not linear. You have demonstrated little knowledge on the subject relying on your GP. 

Claiming that a breakfast does not count caloric wise and other strange things.

Neeram is 55 and that does not change the fact that weight loss is not linear. 

https://www.healthyway.com/content/the-frustration-of-nonlinear-weight-loss/#:~:text=Weight loss is nonlinear because,%2C sickness%2C and hydration levels.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

47, and that has nothing to do with the fact that weight loss is not linear. You have demonstrated little knowledge on the subject relying on your GP. 

Claiming that a breakfast does not count caloric wise and other strange things.

Neeram is 55 and that does not change the fact that weight loss is not linear. 

https://www.healthyway.com/content/the-frustration-of-nonlinear-weight-loss/#:~:text=Weight loss is nonlinear because,%2C sickness%2C and hydration levels.

You are so excitable, I only asked you how old you are and I told you why I asked, are you unable to debate these things without attacking all the time or thinking you're being challenged? You're the weight loss expert, the god, we all accept your superior knowledge and everyone else is a duff and knows nothing...OK now, can you please just chill a little bit!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Talking about sugar here, what about Lite sugar? It says 50% on the packet, but the wording is in Thai so I'm not sure whether it is half calorie sugar or not.

I don't know, I try not to use sugar for anything and use equall instead. From what doctors have told me the problem is the body's reaction to things that are sweet that is the problem, rather than the sugar itself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1