New school term could be postponed until June

snoop1130

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

Yes, they already have that here on a limited basis.. Amphor Scheveningen in Jangwat Hague...

I think if they adopted  all the rules from all the other countries, it would no longer be Thailand... 

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree, online classes just do not work as they should, I have a 13 year old daughter in an International school here and last year when they were closed due to covid they went online but it was very noticeable how she fell behind in the learning. Now in May she has Cambridge check point exams, I suppose they will be cancelled as I can't see them being held online?

It is a test, right? My son did it a couple years ago without extra classes. I assume you are a native English speaker. So why you don't prepare her yourself? Problem solved.Many of these kids don't have a native English speaking  parent and still score very well.

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree, online classes just do not work as they should, I have a 13 year old daughter in an International school here and last year when they were closed due to covid they went online but it was very noticeable how she fell behind in the learning. Now in May she has Cambridge check point exams, I suppose they will be cancelled as I can't see them being held online?

Good luck to her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Our two teenage grandkids will be with us for the duration.

Their online classes seem boring, it's hardly surprising when there seem to be 10,000,000 participants and little interaction ????

Meanwhile Madam is teaching the grand daughter how to look after the animals properly, groom the dogs, give the chooks their vitamins etc. and how to water and prune the plants.

I'm trying to teach her older brother how to make metal items (when I can prize him away from his phone/PC ), marking out, drilling, cutting and welding safely (no safety Ray Bans). It's also revitalising what I learned as an apprentice 1,000,000 years ago.

If any of it gets retained and makes them better citizens then we're happy.

Yes, it seams that a lot of parents forget that THEY have their responsibilities towards education as well. What is wrong with teaching all the things they don't learn (correctly) in School? You would be surprised how many educated adults in the West (especially the US) even don't know where to find Australia on a map let alone Austria ????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

If only there was a place just like the Netherlands, isn't it? 

I wonder which place in the world could be just like the Netherlands.... Oh wait, I know.... It's the Netherlands! 

If it's so much better there, I'd recommend going there when possible. 

• Like 1

Just been informed that the summer school has been cancelled and will now take place on the 10 Saturdays following the start of term whenever that is. What benefit that will be for the child, one does not know, but the school will get their money!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

It is a test, right? My son did it a couple years ago without extra classes. I assume you are a native English speaker. So why you don't prepare her yourself? Problem solved.Many of these kids don't have a native English speaking  parent and still score very well.

Its 3 tests, in the three core subjects, Science, Maths and English. The tests are then marked independently at Cambridge Uni in the UK, no I do not have the expertise to prepare her for this, only qualified English, Maths and Science teachers who are well versed in the Cambridge curriculum do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It will cost money, you can't get anything for free in Thailand 

13 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes, it seams that a lot of parents forget that THEY have their responsibilities towards education as well. What is wrong with teaching all the things they don't learn (correctly) in School? You would be surprised how many educated adults in the West (especially the US) even don't know where to find Australia on a map let alone Austria ????

We are lucky that both parents are pretty bright (dad get's if from my wife). Dad is in a pretty good job and can turn his hand to most DIY too, if I point him in the right direction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Cheers guys, another consequence of your inadequate response to the outbreak. Now my daughter will miss school and has important Cambridge exams in May

There are no Cambridge exams in May, we were notified by our daughters international school on Saturday they have been cancelled this summer 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its 3 tests, in the three core subjects, Science, Maths and English. The tests are then marked independently at Cambridge Uni in the UK, no I do not have the expertise to prepare her for this, only qualified English, Maths and Science teachers who are well versed in the Cambridge curriculum do.

While staying at my sisters a couple of years ago I got back after quite a few beers with friends, examples of my nephew's gramma school entrance exam was on the table... I figured, how hard can this be for a pi$$ed up uncle ?? !!!!...   I struggled, particularly with the verbal reasoning sections (perhaps because I was drunk)... 

IMO - there is no way an 11 year old can pass these tests unless they have specific tutoring. 

Additionally, competition is significant. We can guarantee that other students are receiving dedicated tuition for such exams. If we want our children to compete it would stand to reason that we provide them with the same tools and opportunities (if we can). 

• Like 2

Just now, Crossy said:

Could lessons be learned from the Aussie School of the Air?

For 60+ years kids have been remote learning and doing just fine https://www.assoa.nt.edu.au/visitors-centre/the-centre/history

I'm sure thats fine for many, especially in remote areas away from schools, but one of the major benefits of attending school aside the the educational experience is the social interaction with your peers, learning to share, care and be a responsible young adult, not saying thats not possible at home but it is a core value of a good school.

Then for students like my daughter who will eventually go to a western uni, the academic learning in an International School here is the best way to achieve this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

There are no Cambridge exams in May, we were notified by our daughters international school on Saturday they have been cancelled this summer 

Thats great news, our school have not notified us of this yet, no doubt will do soon!

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

In a worldwide pandemic such as this and with Thailand in a 3rd wave with no hope of vaccine induced herd immunity for the foreseeable future than I would question if it would not be safer for your wife to consider her position as a teacher with her health reasons?

Working in an international school here your wife is being paid by the students fees, I know of a couple of schools who already have struggled to stay open because of students being withdrawn as a result of closing last year, putting the teachers out of work.

Not everyone has the luxury of choosing whether to work or not. And choosing to become unemployed in the middle of a global pandemic might not be the best of ideas.....

28 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have you looked at the books. It's 13 year old math and English!

Just now, Crossy said:

Our two teenage grandkids will be with us for the duration.

Their online classes seem boring, it's hardly surprising when there seem to be 10,000,000 participants and little interaction ????

Meanwhile Madam is teaching the grand daughter how to look after the animals properly, groom the dogs, give the chooks their vitamins etc. and how to water and prune the plants.

I'm trying to teach her older brother how to make metal items (when I can prize him away from his phone/PC ), marking out, drilling, cutting and welding safely (no safety Ray Bans). It's also revitalising what I learned as an apprentice 1,000,000 years ago.

If any of it gets retained and makes them better citizens then we're happy.

Good luck Crossy. Of course, you'll be well placed to train in electrical as well. Thailand will need lots of people skilled in electrics in order to rebuild after what's coming down the pike.

6 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Not everyone has the luxury of choosing whether to work or not. And choosing to become unemployed in the middle of a global pandemic might not be the best of ideas.....

But they do have the choice to work in a government school or private school, if you decide a private school is for you then you must also be aware that the parents are paying your salary 100%. If they do not get the service and leave then you will be unemployed by default when the school no longer can afford to operate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Not good news for those of us who teach on "part time" contracts; no school = no classes = no pay!

If you haven’t built up an e-learning program by now and established yourself as an online educator I don’t know what to tell you.

There is so much private tutoring work out there via online that you can easily make a lot more than what you’re making on part time contracts. You just need to impress one parent and then word off mouth will lead to you having to turn away people due to high demand.

5 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Have you looked at the books. It's 13 year old math and English!

And science and no I do not have a science lab

You were obviously never educated to Cambridge level which these are. Qualified teachers are needed, its that simple.