New school term could be postponed until June

snoop1130

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

I still prefer to stay in Thailand as opposed  to the Netherlands.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

Cause submarines and aircraft carriers are more important 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Our two teenage grandkids will be with us for the duration.

Their online classes seem boring, it's hardly surprising when there seem to be 10,000,000 participants and little interaction ????

Meanwhile Madam is teaching the grand daughter how to look after the animals properly, groom the dogs, give the chooks their vitamins etc. and how to water and prune the plants.

I'm trying to teach her older brother how to make metal items (when I can prize him away from his phone/PC ), marking out, drilling, cutting and welding safely (no safety Ray Bans). It's also revitalising what I learned as an apprentice 1,000,000 years ago.

If any of it gets retained and makes them better citizens then we're happy.

big respect to you and yours
there are plenty of things for kids to learn which they would never learn in school regardless
real life skills are what people need when they grow up
and teaching your own family strengthens the family bond.
Big massive two thumbs up for you.????????

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

And science and no I do not have a science lab

You were obviously never educated to Cambridge level which these are. Qualified teachers are needed, its that simple. 

Cambridge level..???????? it's just an exam board buddy!

Anyone who went to school in the UK, like myself, probably did a Cambridge exam, or one from a number of other exam boards. 

You do realise that the whole thing is a scam......????

3 minutes ago, Boedog said:

Contingency plan, hear we go l can feel another HUB coming, amazing Thailand the world of HUBS

Thailand the HUB of Home Schooling and Online education.

School locations no longer needed and will be turned into museums of education where one can look at them and see how education was taught in the past.....

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You have this attitude that if one does not like what goes on here in Thailand, and if we are always wanting or advocating change or criticizing the countries government that we should just leave.  Your constant montage...."Anyone not happy with "insert verbage" in Thailand should leave immediately.  Sorry that life is not all roses and a box of chocolates daily as you would wish for us.  Interplanetary living is rough. 

You'll get it one day....????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, patman30 said:

big respect to you and yours
there are plenty of things for kids to learn which they would never learn in school regardless
real life skills are what people need when they grow up
and teaching your own family strengthens the family bond.
Big massive two thumbs up for you.????????

Thanks ????

We're really doing no more than my parents, grandparents and uncles did for me and my sister when we were that age.

Long summer holidays at granny's house learning which end of a cow is the business end and handling machine tools with my uncles John, who would make you a part for your 1935 Fergusson Tractor (but never learned to drive) and Phil (a real car nut). 

It keeps them off their devices at least for a while and they are (hopefully) learning something useful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

If only there was a place just like the Netherlands, isn't it? 

I wonder which place in the world could be just like the Netherlands.... Oh wait, I know.... It's the Netherlands! 

If it's so much better there, I'd recommend going there when possible. 

I think you had a bad sleep last

night

19 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

That would cost money.  Limit vacations to Germany.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

You do realise that the whole thing is a scam......????

I went to school and Uni in the UK. Never found it to be a scam though, got me an adequate career out of it, you must have been to a different one to me mate.

Edited by Bkk Brian

19 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

lol ... Sweden's schools have been open all along. Few children have gotten sick. None died. Time to wake up. Life back to normal. 

• Haha 1

UK send Covid  testing kits home - all secondary school & college students from 11 to 18/19 do it twice a week. Takes about a minute. Parent goes on computer reports results to school and NHS. Covid seems to have almost gone from our teenagers. UK learnt lessons from pre-Xmas when the UK variant just went  massive. Recall the UK variant is highly transmissible unlike the early version which spread from China. 

Clearly if it gets really worse in Thailand closing schools is obvious then teenagers are NOT taking the plague  home to infect their extended family. 

Edited by peter48

15 minutes ago, Yewbzee said:

Identified outbreaks originating in a school? Zero. Close them.

Identified outbreaks originating in markets? Many but keep them open.

Yes, closing schools seem to be an easy way to appear to be doing something.  Very little concern for children's education.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, closing schools seem to be an easy way to appear to be doing something.  Very little concern for children's education.

See my point above about UK schools but please the western world locked down schools etc to stop spread & it generally worked. UK stopped schools for most from Jan to late March/early April. ( classes were online). Young people are asymptomatic with this virus & take it home and infect extended family which is then a lottery - some family members do not get it, some just get a high fever  for a day or two, lose smell , some stay in bed for a week with a cough others get very serious breathing problems, massive cough   and are hospitalised with some deteriorating quickly and die quickly or within a few weeks from lack of oxygen as lungs just do not work anymore. In UK over 127,000 are dead from this disease and in Germany 80,000 and so on.  

Edited by peter48

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its 3 tests, in the three core subjects, Science, Maths and English. The tests are then marked independently at Cambridge Uni in the UK, no I do not have the expertise to prepare her for this, only qualified English, Maths and Science teachers who are well versed in the Cambridge curriculum do.

My youngest son only did do the English test. Both went to a very well know school in CNX and did the EP program. It did not prepare them well for the Thai entrance exam so they ended up at the most (ridiculous) expensive International Uni in BKK.  Actually no THai Uni did offer the curriculum they wanted anyway. Their English did not improve at all, it even went downhill as most people over there only speak Thai outside the class room. So if you want her to do well, the best option is to send her overseas or spend the last years on Thai. The smart asses from the EP did not pass the Doctor nor Dentist and Pharmacy entrance exam while those from the normal program did. They did an extra year THai and passed but lost a year. Ironically most of the best students (who's parents could afford it) switched to the English program when it started.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peter48 said:

See my point above about UK schools but please the western world locked down schools etc to stop spread & it generally worked. UK stopped schools for most from Jan to late March/early April. ( classes were online). Young people are asymptomatic with this virus & take it home and infect extended family which is then a lottery - some family members do not get it, some just get a high fever  for a day or two, lose smell , some stay in bed for a week with a cough others get very serious breathing problems, massive cough   and are hospitalised with some deteriorating quickly and die quickly or within a few weeks from lack of oxygen as lungs just do not work anymore. In UK over 127,000 are dead from this disease and in Germany 80,000 and so on.  

UK closed schools but 127,000 died?  Doesn't sound like it worked very well, and at what cost to young people's future?

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

UK closed schools but 127,000 died?  Doesn't sound like it worked very well, and at what cost to young people's future?

Ahhhh....but we also had........ "eat out to help spread it about"........two delayed lockdowns........and Johnson's.... Xmas special killerthon.......they all helped keep the numbers up.

• Like 1

Just now, SomchaiCNX said:

My youngest son only did do the English test. Both went to a very well know school in CNX and did the EP program. It did not prepare them well for the Thai entrance exam so they ended up at the most (ridiculous) expensive International Uni in BKK.  Actually no THai Uni did offer the curriculum they wanted anyway. Their English did not improve at all, it even went downhill as most people over there only speak Thai outside the class room. So if you want her to do well, the best option is to send her overseas or spend the last years on Thai. The smart asses from the EP did not pass the Doctor nor Dentist and Pharmacy entrance exam while those from the normal program did. They did an extra year THai and passed but lost a year. Ironically most of the best students (who's parents could afford it) switched to the English program when it started.

Thanks for the advice, my daughter was born in the UK so is British, she has been doing extremely well in her current school here, been there for 9 years now, its got an excellent record for student achievement and for students going onto International Universities to further their studies. I'll not be changing this course of development for her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Cheers guys, another consequence of your inadequate response to the outbreak. Now my daughter will miss school and has important Cambridge exams in May

Have you been following what’s happening around the world re school closures ?

I don’t want my daughter bringing home Covid, depending on the age of the

child there is plenty of stuff they can learn online.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I went to school and Uni in the UK. Never found it to be a scam though, got me an adequate career out of it, you must have been to a different one to me mate.

I meant schools in Thailand selling themselves, making out that a Cambridge exam is a big thing when it's not. 

Not education.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Have you been following what’s happening around the world re school closures ?

I don’t want my daughter bringing home Covid, depending on the age of the

child there is plenty of stuff they can learn online.

You missed my whole point though didn't you.

"Cheers guys, another consequence of your inadequate response to the outbreak. Now my daughter will miss school and has important Cambridge exams in May"

No I do not want any child let alone my daughter going to school and bringing the virus home.........at her school 3 students and a teacher were infected so of course it has to close!

9 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I meant schools in Thailand selling themselves, making out that a Cambridge exam is a big thing when it's not. 

Not education.

Thats your opinion. I have a very different one thanks,

Those Cambridge IGCSE's and A levels are vital for gaining entry to many Universities especially in the UK.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SaamBaht said:

lol ... Sweden's schools have been open all along. Few children have gotten sick. None died. Time to wake up. Life back to normal. 

Really life is back to normal, dream a little dream sir, cases are climbing again.

Sweden COVID: 900,138 Cases and 13,788 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Edited by ThailandRyan