New school term could be postponed until June

snoop1130

21 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

probably Thai are also aware of the fact that the self tests provided like the once that you refer to in the Netherlands not are accurate. Still many will slip thru, this is well known. Also in the news too that only blood tests are accurate since there are now mutations that are not even detected by the standard nose swap tests. the trest that provided you the so wanted certificated of being covid-19 free. 

they are also looking in to the support of dogs as you know who can detect covid. 

Also people who are fully vaccinated, these people  still can spread covid as recently was in the new too. 

all makes that we still have a long way to go especially due to the fact that we not provide vaccin to all People and all the countries in the world.

and when we are not willing to stop traveling and do all the is needed to stop the virus and quarantaine it within the next 6 months to stop the virus this wil become a long story or a never ending story.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

... On-line instruction is abysmal as the teachers my GF's daughter has are very monotonal, and less than ambitious and exciting in their teaching manner. ...

That would have made me think about:

What’s those teachers’ ambition and teaching style, when standing in front of a class ?

IMHO you will never get a better impression of the quality of those teachers, as when observing them over a longer period during online instruction ...

Is it really a huge deal? 

The only ones suffering are the teachers who may lose a month salary and the parents who have to find alternative care. The kids wont suffer at all. On my EP a waste of space got 1 out of 15 in both her exams yet passed with 62% when I saw her end of year results. The Thai education system is much like the rest of Thailand . . . an illusion. Nothing will change, apart from new tricks to keep the illusions believable to some!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

Identified outbreaks originating in a school? Zero. Close them.

Identified outbreaks originating in markets? Many but keep them open.

People have to eat.  Especially up here in Issan.  Many houses don't have a fridgerator let alone the money to put food in it.  Schools happen to big spreadors because children usually don't follow the mask or distance rules let alone wash there hands regularly.  It's just the way kids are.

31 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Is it really a huge deal? 

The only ones suffering are the teachers who may lose a month salary and the parents who have to find alternative care. The kids wont suffer at all. On my EP a waste of space got 1 out of 15 in both her exams yet passed with 62% when I saw her end of year results. The Thai education system is much like the rest of Thailand . . . an illusion. Nothing will change, apart from new tricks to keep the illusions believable to some!

I agree.  I was a teacher here.  They wanted me to teach science for a semester.  I told I didn't know much about science.  They said"no problem".  I needed a paycheck back then.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I agree.  I was a teacher here.  They wanted me to teach science for a semester.  I told I didn't know much about science.  They said"no problem".  I needed a paycheck back then.

Exactly, I was teaching Maths and somehow, in Thailand, if you can teach Maths you are qualified to teach Science!! 

Schools are great for interaction between young people and babysitting while parents work, but apart from that, the teaching is the same for each one of the 13 million students in Thailand (2010 figures from Ministry of Education Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation). 

We constantly hear how young people are individual and have a voice yet me keep on educating them the same repetitive cr@p like algebra or what a pronoun is!! Who cares? Who looks back now as an adult and says "Thank god for algebra" or "I would be lost in life if I hadn't learned what a pronoun is". And this isn't just the Thai schools, its the world over

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thenoilif said:

If you haven’t built up an e-learning program by now and established yourself as an online educator I don’t know what to tell you.

There is so much private tutoring work out there via online that you can easily make a lot more than what you’re making on part time contracts. You just need to impress one parent and then word off mouth will lead to you having to turn away people due to high demand.

I do a certain amount online, and could probably (certainly) do more.

I happen to enjoy classroom teaching much more, and am not prepared to book up my normal school hours with private work. I like being a teacher in a fairly small school. I am over retirement age and enjoy the freedom which comes with the part time status; not having to be there at 0730, no endless meetings, able to go home when I finish and not wait for 5pm, and so on. The downside is that when this happens...

2 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

That would have made me think about:

What’s those teachers’ ambition and teaching style, when standing in front of a class ?

IMHO you will never get a better impression of the quality of those teachers, as when observing them over a longer period during online instruction ...

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to move a child within the government school system to a better teachers room as they are few and far between especially when there are only 3 classrooms for the GF's daughters age group.

4 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

My youngest son only did do the English test. Both went to a very well know school in CNX and did the EP program. It did not prepare them well for the Thai entrance exam so they ended up at the most (ridiculous) expensive International Uni in BKK.  Actually no THai Uni did offer the curriculum they wanted anyway. Their English did not improve at all, it even went downhill as most people over there only speak Thai outside the class room. So if you want her to do well, the best option is to send her overseas or spend the last years on Thai. The smart asses from the EP did not pass the Doctor nor Dentist and Pharmacy entrance exam while those from the normal program did. They did an extra year THai and passed but lost a year. Ironically most of the best students (who's parents could afford it) switched to the English program when it started.

The money the parents spend on EP is a waste IMO. But as long as they are paying for their kids not to fail, I guess that fits the parents curriculum for their next dinner party where they can brag about how smart their kids are!! Like I said earlier, its all a sham, an illusion, all Thais know this yet still continue to play the game as if none of them know

5 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

My youngest son only did do the English test. Both went to a very well know school in CNX and did the EP program. It did not prepare them well for the Thai entrance exam so they ended up at the most (ridiculous) expensive International Uni in BKK.  Actually no THai Uni did offer the curriculum they wanted anyway. Their English did not improve at all, it even went downhill as most people over there only speak Thai outside the class room. So if you want her to do well, the best option is to send her overseas or spend the last years on Thai. The smart asses from the EP did not pass the Doctor nor Dentist and Pharmacy entrance exam while those from the normal program did. They did an extra year THai and passed but lost a year. Ironically most of the best students (who's parents could afford it) switched to the English program when it started.

You actually thought your child would pass Thai entrance exams after studying in an EP? I've had a few students graduate who did qualify for medicine, vet science, etc. in Thai programs, but they had to study extra classes in Thai outside of school. Even students who study in the Thia programs take outside courses. They all do. 

BTW I dont think 150-200K/ year for a degree in an International program is overly expensive (some EP's charge that). And this is the most suitable choice for students from EP's who are not going overseas. Virtually none of my current students plan to study in Thai programs. I always give advice to grade 9 to leve the EP and study in Thai (form m-4-6) if they wish to go to Thai programs in university. Some of out low performing students are asked to leave the EP and find another school after M3 as well. So the quality of the graduating class is generally quite good - most go to Chula, Thammmasart, Mahidol, etc. 

26 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

The money the parents spend on EP is a waste IMO. But as long as they are paying for their kids not to fail, I guess that fits the parents curriculum for their next dinner party where they can brag about how smart their kids are!! Like I said earlier, its all a sham, an illusion, all Thais know this yet still continue to play the game as if none of them know

Everyone knows 50% on a Thai report card is, by an large, a failing score. Everyone - all teachers, all university staff, etc. Kids getting these kinds of scores end up in low rated universities where they pay money to go, or end up running (ruining?) the family business, or go on permanent holiday. You won't find any of them giving you a dental implant or an operation, suffice to say. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Everyone knows 50% on a Thai report card is, by an large, a failing score. Everyone - all teachers, all university staff, etc. Kids getting these kinds of scores end up in low rated universities where they pay money to go, or end up running (ruining?) the family business, or go on permanent holiday. You won't find any of them giving you a dental implant or an operation, suffice to say. 

Yep, which is why its a waste of money and all about face ????

On 4/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now all schools have selftests for Covid for the teachers and they have to test themselves 2 times a week. Why not possible here in THailand???? 

because it costs money!????

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

But they do have the choice to work in a government school or private school, if you decide a private school is for you then you must also be aware that the parents are paying your salary 100%. If they do not get the service and leave then you will be unemployed by default when the school no longer can afford to operate.

No! All teacher's are not goverment officers(have different test). So if you are not officer, school pay your salary not goverment even you work in goverment school. Only officers get paid even not do nothing. Not many officer want to go teach in private sector even normaly there have better salary. From goverment job you can retirement any time after you have work 20 years and you get pension. But almost all work longer to get bigger pension. Teatcher salary increase 2 times / year 1-3%. Depens how good report you make from yourself. And whitch level officer you are. Highest level is 5 (there is other level also but not mean in teatching). Now they have make more difficult to get up level's. 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

No! All teacher's are not goverment officers(have different test). So if you are not officer, school pay your salary not goverment even you work in goverment school. Only officers get paid even not do nothing. Not many officer want to go teach in private sector even normaly there have better salary. From goverment job you can retirement any time after you have work 20 years and you get pension. But almost all work longer to get bigger pension. Teatcher salary increase 2 times / year 1-3%. Depens how good report you make from yourself. And whitch level officer you are. Highest level is 5 (there is other level also but not mean in teatching). Now they have make more difficult to get up level's. 

I was referring to a qualified foreign teacher having the choice to work in a government school or a private international school. I think you missed my point?

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I was referring to a qualified foreign teacher having the choice to work in a government school or a private international school. I think you missed my point?

???? yeah i think so lol. But there was some info anyway

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

You actually thought your child would pass Thai entrance exams after studying in an EP? I've had a few students graduate who did qualify for medicine, vet science, etc. in Thai programs, but they had to study extra classes in Thai outside of school. Even students who study in the Thia programs take outside courses. They all do. 

BTW I dont think 150-200K/ year for a degree in an International program is overly expensive (some EP's charge that). And this is the most suitable choice for students from EP's who are not going overseas. Virtually none of my current students plan to study in Thai programs. I always give advice to grade 9 to leve the EP and study in Thai (form m-4-6) if they wish to go to Thai programs in university. Some of out low performing students are asked to leave the EP and find another school after M3 as well. So the quality of the graduating class is generally quite good - most go to Chula, Thammmasart, Mahidol, etc. 

LIke I told in a previous reply. They joined EP when it was introduced and nobody knew at that point. Like I mentioned before they did not apply for those programs. Their friends did and like you mentioned, they should have switched but the school did not advice them. 150-200 is indeed not expensive but that was already the amount we spent on the EP program each year. The UNI they went is closer to 1.6-2.4 million for a degree.  My friends joked to me about it. If they don't get a degree don't worry, they probably come back with a rich mother in law ???? . One of them got both.

16 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

I agree, but I could not afford an international school and we did it just as a precaution because Thailand is volatile and not always a stable country. So if we had to move out for any reason  they would have it easier to switch. 

23 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I agree, but I could not afford an international school and we did it just as a precaution because Thailand is volatile and not always a stable country. So if we had to move out for any reason  they would have it easier to switch. 

Yea, the cost of international schooling here in Thailand is very expensive, one of the most expensive in the world. The fees I pay now for my daughter at school  will actually be cheaper when/if she goes to uni in the UK.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

you did  not know SILLY FARANG.  The E in EP has nothing to do with English.

E = EXTRA    P=PAY

It is simply in way in most schools to gain extra funding and has very little to do with a child's ability.  As a teacher I saw a Special Needs girl in EP because dad had money and wanted her to graduate Pratom as EP qualified.

I taught classes where the Matayom  EP class continually scored lower on English tests than normal Thai classes getting the same instruction only an hour more a week.

9 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

E = EXTRA    P=PAY

It is simply in way in most schools to gain extra funding and has very little to do with a child's ability.  As a teacher I saw a Special Needs girl in EP because dad had money and wanted her to graduate Pratom as EP qualified.

I taught classes where the Matayom  EP class continually scored lower on English tests than normal Thai classes getting the same instruction only an hour more a week.

I agree with some parts, the extra money was indeed used for the regular program and not reinvested to make the English program better. And Yes, I met a lot of Thai students from the regular program with better English skills than those from the EP program. The only thing better was that the class size was reduced by half, 25 instead of 50 students and the main reason why the younger one also wanted the English program was the air conditioned room his older brother had ???? A couple years later they bought air con for the regular program as well, probably with the extra money  made from the EP. And don't forget we in the west spent a lot of donation money so the catholic missionaries could build schools for the "poor" people. My mother, who give birth to 18 children, would turn in her grave if she found out she was scammed. They started with native English speakers who were replaced a couple years later because, to difficult and to expensive. Christian schools in THailand are money making factories. A good thing is that they have friends who are well off or are connected, probably the only positive thing I can say about EP. The first son started EP about 18 years ago so we did not know Thai school logic yet. Still now many THai do not believe me when I advise them not to do it or to join a different, newer and better school. My wife never told me when there was a parents meeting because she was afraid I would tell them what was wrong with the system. 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:19 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

My son's international school was due to start the new term today.  Now we're back to online Zoom classes - 19x 6-year-olds - it doesn't work!  I truly hope that education will come first, and normal school will resume by the end of the month.

The whole online teaching is as difficult for the teachers as it is for the students.

And honestly speaking, I don't think that kids learn much online. 

Perhaps time to go through some English books/ lessons with daddy? 

A good website is CEFR Exam English. https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

But let's be fair, we are much safer here than anywhere else in this world. Well, perhaps only Wuhan is safer and has only one case per day, what a coincidence that is. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, SomchaiCNX said:

Have you looked into Micro schools? Geared at what students naturally show ability in rather than trying to teach them subjects they are never going to grasp. More to it than that of course but it might be the start of a new education system in Thailand offering choice

On 4/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, kingstonkid said:

E = EXTRA    P=PAY

HAHA yes Extra Pay - great spot there KK. 

But do you think a Thai child learning English is best taught by farang with no Thai ability? My point is, a Thai teaching English can obviously speak both languages and can explain better in Thai, what they are requesting, in English?
An English speaking farang who does not speak Thai has only English to explain things in so if the student doesnt get it, maybe they switch off? After all, my P6 class were taught maths in both languages and some of the were better in Thai maths than English taught maths

On 4/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, ikke1959 said:

After reading all the comments on here, I was appalled to see the obvious selfishness of so many parents with regard to their children's schools. Despite many admissions of ineptitude with regard to educating their own children, they offer no concern for the health of their children's teachers, nor do they applaud the school's decision to offer the best educational alternative to possible exposure to Covid. 

Full disclosure: I am currently employed as a teacher at an international school in Thailand, and have 35 years experience working in top rated schools in both Japan and Singapore. No vaccination has been offered to any of us so far, and we're not holding our breath. Until I know that I will not be catching Covid from YOUR CHLDREN, and that I will not be giving the illness to YOUR CHILDREN, keep your opinions positive, for WE ARE DOING OUR VERY BEST DESPITE YOUR <deleted>TY ATTITUDE> 

• Thanks 1