New school term could be postponed until June

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

HAHA yes Extra Pay - great spot there KK. 

But do you think a Thai child learning English is best taught by farang with no Thai ability? My point is, a Thai teaching English can obviously speak both languages and can explain better in Thai, what they are requesting, in English?
An English speaking farang who does not speak Thai has only English to explain things in so if the student doesnt get it, maybe they switch off? After all, my P6 class were taught maths in both languages and some of the were better in Thai maths than English taught maths

yes indeed... the only problem is you speak with the most Thai English teachers, you can't understand them. their English is very poor and they teach the kids often wrong English. On the other hand I offered my lesson once to teach them Math, because the did not understand what the Thai teacher had taught them about fractions. So I explained it again and practiced with them and at the end they understood it and could do the fractions.

• Like 1

I was all set to enrol my children into one of these international schools.

Lucky escape - would have been money down the drain. I did ask them what would be the protocols if the schools had to close - no refund. That's a crazy lottery i wasn't prepared to risk. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

I was all set to enrol my children into one of these international schools.

Lucky escape - would have been money down the drain. I did ask them what would be the protocols if the schools had to close - no refund. That's a crazy lottery i wasn't prepared to risk. 

If they closed completely with no online provision of classes I think you'd be able to sue for a refund.  But most international schools have the resources to provide online classes during a lockdown.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:40 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Homeschooling simply don't work....

Wow !

Combined subjects > Science....cause and effect. Mathematics/Physics.......calculation of thrust, velocity, impact, co-efficience in reduction of friction, Biology/Medicine......treatment of penile  abrasions.

Candidates for Thailand's Space Programme ?

13 hours ago, b17 said:

After reading all the comments on here, I was appalled to see the obvious selfishness of so many parents with regard to their children's schools. Despite many admissions of ineptitude with regard to educating their own children, they offer no concern for the health of their children's teachers, nor do they applaud the school's decision to offer the best educational alternative to possible exposure to Covid. 

Full disclosure: I am currently employed as a teacher at an international school in Thailand, and have 35 years experience working in top rated schools in both Japan and Singapore. No vaccination has been offered to any of us so far, and we're not holding our breath. Until I know that I will not be catching Covid from YOUR CHLDREN, and that I will not be giving the illness to YOUR CHILDREN, keep your opinions positive, for WE ARE DOING OUR VERY BEST DESPITE YOUR <deleted>TY ATTITUDE> 

Most Thai children have more change to die on the way to school than from Covid in my opinion.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Have you looked into Micro schools? Geared at what students naturally show ability in rather than trying to teach them subjects they are never going to grasp. More to it than that of course but it might be the start of a new education system in Thailand offering choice

No, did not investigate that option yet. Probably I will when I have grandchildren ????

So 1 week of home schooling just became 2 weeks and still no confirmed opening. 

Please note that Monday, 3rd May is a Public holiday but if schools can reopen we will use Tuesday 4th as a regular teaching day. We will confirm this as soon as we receive official notification.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So 1 week are home schooling just became 2 weeks and still no confirmed opening. 

Please note that Monday, 3rd May is a Public holiday but if schools can reopen we will use Tuesday 4th as a regular teaching day. We will confirm this as soon as we receive official notification.

Fingers crossed....????

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If they closed completely with no online provision of classes I think you'd be able to sue for a refund.  But most international schools have the resources to provide online classes during a lockdown.

I've experienced online learning in the UK. It's utter nonsense. Schooling is alot more than just lessons - it's being with your friends, activities, social learning skills, etc

I would have cut my finger off if i had to pay 200,000 for someone to do lessons on a laptop remotely. I could actually get a private teacher one on one for that much ! 

On 4/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, kingstonkid said:

Could be worse she could be in Canada or the U.S.  

Personally I think the Thais are trying to do their best and are juggling things.  With the 3rd wave going to class may not be the best thing and I am sure your daughter is like a lot of kids and fed up to the teeth with online

Maybe daddy can teach her

Could be worse?

All kids in Florida are physically in school and have been.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:12 PM, Walter Travolta said:

HAHA yes Extra Pay - great spot there KK. 

But do you think a Thai child learning English is best taught by farang with no Thai ability? My point is, a Thai teaching English can obviously speak both languages and can explain better in Thai, what they are requesting, in English?
An English speaking farang who does not speak Thai has only English to explain things in so if the student doesnt get it, maybe they switch off? After all, my P6 class were taught maths in both languages and some of the were better in Thai maths than English taught maths

While in theory you are right there is one major problem.

Most Thai teachers can not speak English.

As to having an English speaking teacher speaking Thai that will not work either.  The kids will just look at you strangely until you are teaching classes in Thai.

The first rule that we are told at all schools is that while you are on the grounds you only speak English.    

Again the EP classes are a bit of a joke in a lot of schools.  The true EP means that kids can understand and spoeak English.  

Math is an interesting choice when you consider that it is a language of it's own in that it is numbers.  If you know the numbers and the teacher teaches correctly in theory a child should be able to learn by watching.  

Science and social could be problems I agree but again if the child can not read or write in English then they in theory again should not be in the class.  The one saving grace for a lot of these schools is that they are commercial and dependent on parents money so they therefore understand that the kids must pass to keep mom and dad happy and the money to continue to flow.

• Like 1

Before opening the schools, I wonder if anybody in the Government has thought about how to handle with the teachers.. Do they need a Covid test? are they in the frontline after the medical personnel to get a jab?? or is it not important?? I assume it is the last .. nobody cares

On 4/23/2021 at 3:39 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

So 1 week of home schooling just became 2 weeks and still no confirmed opening. 

isn't Tuesday a holiday too? not sure how correct this is...

Vq6k3kt.png

21 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Before opening the schools, I wonder if anybody in the Government has thought about how to handle with the teachers.. Do they need a Covid test? are they in the frontline after the medical personnel to get a jab?? or is it not important?? I assume it is the last .. nobody cares

I can't see how they can get every teacher in Thailand to take a covid test before starting, nor being a priority to get the jab..

After all, they could catch covid off a student the day they start teaching after a negative test result