Huge Crowds Seek COVID-19 Tests

snoop1130

Un3200titled-6-1.jpg

NONTHABURI, April 19 (TNA) – About 600-700 people are seeking COVID-19 tests daily at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute that will also function as a field hospital to treat COVID-19 patients in greater Bangkok.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said a badminton stadium in the institute was being transformed into the field hospital with 60 beds and army engineers were improving its landscape and building toilets.

The field hospital will admit COVID-19 cases confirmed at the institutes. If it fully uses its capacity, patients will be distributed to other hospitals in Bangkok and Nonthaburi province, Dr Opas said.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-678409

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2021-04-19

7 minutes ago, Forrests Father said:

I am having a problem with these field hospitals. You are asymptomatic, get tested and then spend the next two weeks quarantined with COVID infected people. These infections range from “I want to party tonight “ to “I soon need a ventilator “. You share toilets and showers. Wouldn’t be surprised if we breed a new, more deadly strain under that environment.

People in those field hospitals are all COVID positive. Are you suggesting that mere proximity of a couple hundred COVID positive people are enough to generate a more deadly variant?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

About 600-700 people are seeking COVID-19 tests daily

panic it's starting to hit them, it's about time, maybe the government will start to move their axx and start mass testing.... I know, I Know, wishful thinking

Edited by Mavideol

38 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The OP described 600-700 being tested in Nonthaburi.

The official numbers released today show 39 positive cases in Nonthaburi.

That implies a positivity rate over 5 percent.

because many other high profile hospitals in bangkok have limit 100 tests per day, that is a small chance that this hospital tests much more.

if they were all vaccinated the report would say some exact figure, and not a ballpoint one.

So they they came late and were turned away.

Some hospitals start giving numbers to incoming patients at 7am and start testing at 8am

Edited by internationalism

1 hour ago, Forrests Father said:

I am having a problem with these field hospitals. You are asymptomatic, get tested and then spend the next two weeks quarantined with COVID infected people. These infections range from “I want to party tonight “ to “I soon need a ventilator “. You share toilets and showers. Wouldn’t be surprised if we breed a new, more deadly strain under that environment.

Plus someone said the "Field" hospitals are mixed sex. So all the asymptomatic people feeling horny could mix it up a bit????

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Wrong the article doesn't say how many were tested only how many were seeking to be tested which does't imply a positivity rate of anything, stop posting misinformation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

That was 600-700 being tested at that one location. It's not the only location in the province that tests.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Don't worry. If the number of infections continues to increase at the current rate, then it won't be long before they run out of beds and will be forced to let infected people self isolate at home... like the rest of the world.

I believe that is already happening to asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic patients in Bangkok.  I don't if it means that the field hospitals are all full or that private hospitals don't have beds and are not sending peopole to field hospitals.  Without adequate testing capacity people will be told not to bother to come for tests but to stay home until they have difficulty breathing. 

40 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Just read in the BP you have to wear a tightly fitting face mask 24/7 once admitted to a field hospital......why on earth are people asking to be tested?.......test positive and ...bang......off you go.

It's the responsible thing to do if you don't want to spread the luv to your family and neighbors, even if you're in a demographic that isn't at risk of needing hospitalization.

It's just a shame that they couldn't make better arrangements to quarantine those who test positive but don't need a hospital bed.  Especially with thousands of hotels and eateries in desperate need of business.  Maybe people would be more inclined to do the responsible thing if they would win a week (or so) in a decent hotel instead of a cot in a hospital.  And hospitals wouldn't quit testing because they're running out of space for the positive tests. 

Win-Win-Win.  Hotels, eateries and food delivery guys get some business (okay, maybe it's not high end business- but these are desperate times), more people get tested, and hospitals can save their space for the people who truly need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

It's just a shame that they couldn't make better arrangements to quarantine those who test positive but don't need a hospital bed.  Especially with thousands of hotels and eateries in desperate need of business. 

Haven't you heard the newly coined Thai term "hospitel"???

The Ministry of Public Health and private hospitals are busily making all kinds of deals with various hotels to offer medically supervised "hospitel" (hospital-hotel) services/beds.

I think those would be free for Thais, if the government assigns a COVID positive testing person to one of them... But I think farangs would be on the hook for paying...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Haven't you heard the newly coined Thai term "hospitel"???

The Ministry of Public Health and private hospitals are busily making all kinds of deals with various hotels to offer medically supervised "hospitel" (hospital-hotel) services/beds.

I think those would be free for Thais, if the government assigns a COVID positive testing person to one of them... But I think farangs would be on the hook for paying...

Great news if they come through. 

43 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

sounds like a herd immunity will be a natural way for Thailand

You mean a thinning of the heard don't you?  I think this government should be given the Darwin award for their current movements.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said a badminton stadium in the institute was being transformed into the field hospital with 60 beds and army engineers were improving its landscape and building toilets.

That's a lot of long drops.

15 hours ago, mrfill said:

I agree that hospitalising all positive cases is odd as it becomes very easy to block hospitals up with people who could easily stay at home

Actually they are forcing them into concentration camps which then expose everyone to higher viral loads.  If an asymptomatic person wasn't sick when they enter, they probably will be in a short time.  It's a eugenicist's dream. 

• Like 2

two weeks ago Surat Thani was virtually covid free with only a couple of cases, after songkran they are now turning a local university into a covid hospital because there are so many cases, this is all due to the idiot government that was more interested in pushing people to travel &  spend money rather than stop the spread of covid. What doesnt help are the ones that have covid and travel anyway because they dont think/care about anyone else, really have to wonder if they will be able to control covid in Thailand with so many idiots running the show and so many people that refuse to self quarantine when they have it taking it to all the other provinces so they can do as they please without any thoughts to causing sickness/death to others

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just a small amount of people, x's that by the amounts at other hospitals and then x's that by 6 more days for just this week.  Shoukd give you an idea that people want to be tested.

Because...

There has been no effective population-wide testing regime to date. Which means that nice Mr Prayuth has been lying in his teeth and there is no effective testing plan. And the population is now panicking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Because...

There has been no effective population-wide testing regime to date. Which means that nice Mr Prayuth has been lying in his teeth and there is no effective testing plan. And the population is now panicking.

Having just visited some poor Thai 'cousins' living in Khlong Toei, I imagine these field hospitals look quite an attractive option to them.

Edited by Surelynot

Just now, Surelynot said:

Having just visited some poor Thai 'cousins' living in Khlong Toei, I imagine these field hospitals look quite an attractive option to them.

And that is very sad... still, look on the bright side. I'm sure that Mr CP is stricken with remorse over what his banditry and the banditry of others in his ethnic group have done.

I'm sure your rellies will get a brown envelope to match that received by any or all minister(s) poste haste - to make appropriate amends.

Edited by ParkerN

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

And that is very sad...

Two in a small single room, tiny outside area for cooking, cleaning, washing up, drying, noise levels horrendous, no aircon........just fans.......I would swap that for two weeks in a field hospital.

• Like 1