Where To Buy A Land To Build A House?

Jahil

Hello.

I am wondering where to buy a land: in Wiang Chai or in Mae San.....

Do some of you live there? How is life there? What are the positive and negative points about each district? Are they lot of farangs living around?

I a minterested to read you about it.

Thank you for your comments

Hello.

Do some of you live there? How is life there? What are the positive and negative points about each district? Are they lot of farangs living around?

In my opinion, Maechan is a very nice place to live.

It is away from Chiangrai but still close (25'). So, if you like quiet surroundings it is an ideal place.

You can find most things in the local shops or markets of Maechan city. For more "sophisticated" shopping... the Chiangrai's Big C is not far.

You are away from the "tourist paths", who all go to Chiangrai and Maesai, but never stop in Maechan. This (again in my opinion) makes the daily life in Maechan nicer than in Chiangrai (no one tries to sell you anything when walking around, for example).

There are several foreigners living around Maechan district, but this should not be the reason you select that area to build a house.

The location of Maechan is also great because it is at the crossroad of Maesalong, Chiangsaen, Chiangrai and Maesai. All parts of the north of the province is just a short drive from your home.

I live there since 5 years and think that it was a good choice.

Oh yes, of course... no bars in Maechan :o But again, Chiangrai is just a short distance away.

You might also want to consider buying a house instead of building... less headaches.

Hello.

In my opinion, Maechan is a very nice place to live.

It is away from Chiangrai but still close (25'). So, if you like quiet surroundings it is an ideal place.

You can find most things in the local shops or markets of Maechan city. For more "sophisticated" shopping... the Chiangrai's Big C is not far.

You are away from the "tourist paths", who all go to Chiangrai and Maesai, but never stop in Maechan. This (again in my opinion) makes the daily life in Maechan nicer than in Chiangrai (no one tries to sell you anything when walking around, for example).

There are several foreigners living around Maechan district, but this should not be the reason you select that area to build a house.

The location of Maechan is also great because it is at the crossroad of Maesalong, Chiangsaen, Chiangrai and Maesai. All parts of the north of the province is just a short drive from your home.

I live there since 5 years and think that it was a good choice.

Oh yes, of course... no bars in Maechan :o But again, Chiangrai is just a short distance away.

You might also want to consider buying a house instead of building... less headaches.

Thank you for your answer Gerry.

You are right about "farangs around": it can not be a criteria. In fact I am looking for some "village life".

Concerning the house, I agree with you and I am sure about the potential headaches. But I never found a house I like around.

No problem about bars, I never visit them. I prefer to have a drink with friends at home.

hi jerry

if i may benefit from your obvious knowledge (and commendation) of maechae and vicinity - would i find houses available for rent around there? large-ish, thai or semi thai style (or interesting anyway).... my budget is flexible. any tips on how i might go about looking?

i'm looking with an open mind to move somewhere north that will give me more house for my money - than chiang mai, where i am renting/living now

with apologies to jahil for seeming to hijack his thread - of course i'd be happy to receive a pm from jerry if he prefers.

lotus

hi jerry

if i may benefit from your obvious knowledge (and commendation) of maechae and vicinity - would i find houses available for rent around there? large-ish, thai or semi thai style (or interesting anyway).... my budget is flexible. any tips on how i might go about looking?

i'm looking with an open mind to move somewhere north that will give me more house for my money - than chiang mai, where i am renting/living now

with apologies to jahil for seeming to hijack his thread - of course i'd be happy to receive a pm from jerry if he prefers.

lotus

I am not much informed about houses for rent, but I am sure that if you search google you will find something.

There is a local Realtor there that my wife has talked too a couple of times. If anyone wants his website send me a PM as the forum rules do not allow me to post it.

He's another couple Mae Chan questions maybe someone can answer. Is there a English language or partly English language primary school there? What is the quality of the Mae Chan Hospital? It's been a few years since we passed through the area.

I stayed in Mae Chan with my Thai friend for about six weeks last fall. I really love this area as it is very central to everything, yet maintains a small town rural feeling. CR city is very close for more urban pursuits (bars, western shopping centers and restaurants).

My friend lived in a very nice residential community right off the road to Chiang Saen. From what I understand, the banks had foreclosed on some homes in the area, and listed all their homes for sale on their websites. Might be a good place to look. There was one beautiful four story home right off the major road to Chiang Saen that was listed at only 1.5 million baht.

I love the small evening market in Mae Chan as well as the many night time food vendors on a smaller soi near the center of town. I also found a couple of very decent restaurants in town. However, I am a night owl, so not having a 7-11 or any 24 hour market, and having everything close so early was a minor irritant for me.

I would not live there without a car, unless it was within Mae Chan itself. There is okay public transportation between Mae Chan and CR, but for me, the great joy of being in that area is driving through the countryside and having access to the many towns and villages in the area.

Moving full time to Chiang Mai soon, but I plan to be in the CR province often as I really love Thailand's northern countryside.

There is a local Realtor there that my wife has talked too a couple of times. If anyone wants his website send me a PM as the forum rules do not allow me to post it.

He's another couple Mae Chan questions maybe someone can answer. Is there a English language or partly English language primary school there? What is the quality of the Mae Chan Hospital? It's been a few years since we passed through the area.

To my knowledge there is no English or even partly English school in Maechan.

I have been to the Maechan hospital twice, to accompany a friend. To me, it seemed to be a nice clean little hospital but I can't say anything about the quality of the doctors. The same friend would go to Overbrook hospital in Chiangrai for serious hillness, but likes the Maechan one for other cases.

Oh, one more thing about Maechan. I live away from the city center (3km), in a secondary street... and have access to high speed internet too. So, no worries about that :o

To my knowledge there is no English or even partly English school in Maechan.

I have been to the Maechan hospital twice, to accompany a friend. To me, it seemed to be a nice clean little hospital but I can't say anything about the quality of the doctors. The same friend would go to Overbrook hospital in Chiangrai for serious hillness, but likes the Maechan one for other cases.

Oh, one more thing about Maechan. I live away from the city center (3km), in a secondary street... and have access to high speed internet too. So, no worries about that :o

Thanks for the info. We are struggling on deciding an area to relocate to when we return to Thailand. I love our house in Phayao and the area but we think that it would be better for us in a bigger community, but not too big. As our son is 2 we also would like an area with an English school as that is his first language, but we had some friends return to Canada after spending 6 months in Thailand and their daughter is almost fluent now just from playing with the local kids, so maybe i worry too much. Chiang rai is on the top of the list at the moment.

We always check out hospitals as my wife is uncertain about going back into medicine on our return but she likes to have the option.

Thanks again..

I've had 'my finger on the pulse' so to speak - regarding properties and trends in Chiang Rai region. I feel Mae Chan will be among the most 'happening' places to pitch one's tent in the future. For comparison, C.Rai is getting too congested, whereas Mae Sai has little in the way of charm. However, Mae Chan has hills (still mostly green) and sleepy town feeling that some people appreciate. I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years, there'll be dozens of farang and well-off Thais living in the outlying hilly regions east and west of Mae Chan (north and south are rather boringly flat). I know a Thai person who knows of available properties in that region. Contact me if interested in contacting him.

I'll disagree here a little here. I think the area east of Chiang Rai to Phayamengrai (which includes Wiang Chai) has a lot of potential to take off in the future and in fact it is almost inevitable with the new bridge going in at Chiang Khong (to Laos). Wiang Chai is much more of a suburb than is Mae Chan, as it is much closer to Chiang Rai and is almost (not quite) part of the Chiang Rai urban area. In the end, it really is personal taste how much you want to be off the beaten path and away from Chiang Rai.

Frank

Bye the way, does anybody has an idea about the average price for 1 rai land in the area???

In the vincity of my house ( 2km east of Maechan city), the price of 1 rai goes from 100.000b (below land office price) to 1.000.000b (far above land office price).

It all depends on how reasonable is the owner of the land for sale...

But there are some nice lands for sale at an acceptable price (for the area). Just need to look around a bit.

I'll disagree here a little here. I think the area east of Chiang Rai to Phayamengrai (which includes Wiang Chai) has a lot of potential to take off in the future and in fact it is almost inevitable with the new bridge going in at Chiang Khong (to Laos). Wiang Chai is much more of a suburb than is Mae Chan, as it is much closer to Chiang Rai and is almost (not quite) part of the Chiang Rai urban area. In the end, it really is personal taste how much you want to be off the beaten path and away from Chiang Rai.

Frank

Fbran has a possible point here about the Wiang Chai area growing once the bridge is completed. We live in Chiang Khong and drive this road more times then we would like to think about. On the other hand, what type of commerce and what level of education/income will the new bridge attract? And will this really spill over into the Wiang Chai area? Talking with many different civic leaders you could get the impression that the new bridge will not make a large difference to the local economy, in that it will mostly be a transit point...regardless of some of the hype. Possibly the Wiang Chai area grew on its own account; flat land, close to the airport, close to city central...but will not necessarily see significant growth due to the bridge in Chiang Khong.

And the area West of Mae Chan can be very beautiful with a lot of wealthy homes tucked back in the hills.

For education, aren't some of the better schools located to the North of the city, rather then to the East or South where the road will be upgraded to handle the increase in traffic due to the new bridge? If in fact the school(s) you are looking for for your child are to the North of city central then the travel time from the greater Mae Chan area vs. the Wiang Chai area would be about the same. And with local transportation being easier along the main highway between Chiang Rai and Mae Chan?

It will be interesting to see how Chiang Rai and the vacinity grows and benifits due to the new bridge. In the meantime selecting an area for living might be placed according to other pre existing factors.

Cheers,

David