Cambodia accused of using Covid to edge towards ‘totalitarian dictatorship’

geovalin

New law means people could face 20 years in prison for lockdown breaches, as campaigners warn of ‘human rights disaster’

Cambodians who break Covid rules could face 20 years in prison under a new law that human rights groups say takes the country “a step towards a totalitarian dictatorship”.

Prime minister Hun Sen warned that Cambodia was “on the brink of death” as a two-week lockdown was imposed in Phnom Penh on Thursday to try to control the spread of the virus.

The law means those convicted could face fines of up to $5,000 (£3,627) as well as prison terms, and grants the government the power to ban or restrict any gathering or demonstration indefinitely.

read more https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/apr/19/cambodia-accused-of-using-covid-to-edge-towards-totalitarian-dictatorship

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

We should all move to live in China - it seems nowadays to be the most open (minimal lockdown rules) and safest (from a health viewpoint) place to reside...

Leave me out of your "we" comment. You must not know much about the lack of freedom in China. I encourage you to move there  and then report back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Benmart said:
3 hours ago, simon43 said:

We should all move to live in China - it seems nowadays to be the most open (minimal lockdown rules) and safest (from a health viewpoint) place to reside...

Leave me out of your "we" comment. You must not know much about the lack of freedom in China. I encourage you to move there  and then report back.

Did you actually bother to read what Simon wrote, before getting on your high horse?

Obviously not, because he didn't mention anything about freedom

3 hours ago, connda said:

There are not a lot of countries in the world now that are not "using Covid to edge towards totalitarian dictatorship"

where? im in nz and we have our freedoms eroded.... check great reset!!! 

12 hours ago, Benmart said:

Was in China a few years back, it was generally less repressive than the UK to the casual observer.

No police around, nobody watching me, but they did want to see my passport before selling me a train ticket.

I liked the place, very beautiful (Avatar national park).

On 4/20/2021 at 2:59 PM, BritManToo said:

My pal in KamPot says not so bad, just a curfew and no alcohol, which is bad enough.

Says all the bars and restaurants and a lot of the population are struggling trying to make a living.

It's much worse in Phnom Penh. Kampot province has gotten off lightly so far with now only 6 cases, all found 40 km away from the city in Kampong Trach.

Unfortunately, Kampot has also seen the first case, that I know of, of an expat being arrested for breaking the curfew rules (he was dumb enough to post his "big night out" on a FB group and even though he deleted it soon after it was already too late).

We are now waiting what his sentencing will be.

Edited by Mr Dome
add