Worrying precedent for landlords? Renter leaves 30K electric bill

webfact

Reason owner should always pay the bill and charge that from renter! Lazy landlord! My friend happen almost same but electric company take meter away. Normaly electric company will act before going to watch 11 month! So this is strange.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The landlord was obviously quite negligent.

Even if they had removed the meter after 1 month of non-payment, as in the past, the landlord could have been left with a 5000THB bill.

So obviously the landlord should make sure that the renter paid the bills before returning the deposit.

If it's now indeed one year before they remove the meter, the landlord should just check it now and then.

I wonder how he might change his current contract......or might there be some resistance to any charges he might wish to introduce.......should spark some changes at least.........I bet he has a short fuse now.,,,,feel free to follow my lead.......

• Haha 1

I don't condone it at all,. but its interesting to hear that some landlords get ripped off, as it is usually the other way around, with many landlords keeping the deposit on very flimsy grounds indeed. 

• Like 2

This is why landlords should ask for big deposits, and a good reason to not refund the deposit until there's proof of payment of all bills, all damage etc.

Been there done that, and the foreign tenants the worst at leaving the house filthy dirty, furniture, walls, or disappeared, pool damaged and bills not paid. 

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I don't condone it at all,. but its interesting to hear that some landlords get ripped off, as it is usually the other way around, with many landlords keeping the deposit on very flimsy grounds indeed. 

Two sides to every story.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Reason owner should always pay the bill and charge that from renter! Lazy landlord! My friend happen almost same but electric company take meter away. Normaly electric company will act before going to watch 11 month! So this is strange.

Makes a change from the usual when the landlord rips off the tenant by keeping the deposit!!! ????????????????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I wasn't a landlord. I was staying at a hotel owned by a friend and when an Aussie former boss of mine had a streak of bad luck so I offered to pay for his room for a few months until he gets back on his feet. On last day he was moving out, the reception called me and asked if I was OK with the bill... well, I thought it was fine, I mean I promised to pay, right... When I got back to hotel, I was presented with over 50,000 baht surcharges on top of the monthly fees... Asking what on Earth that was about - I was shown the list of international calls in last days before moving out...

So you don't need to be a landlord to get burned with something like this...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I wonder how he might change his current contract......or might there be some resistance to any charges he might wish to introduce.......should spark some changes at least.........I bet he has a short fuse now.,,,,feel free to follow my lead.......

The use of bold type made  no sense. But nevertheless "A" for effort.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

I totally disagree! The electricity company should’ve cut the electricity and removed the meter or at the very least informed the owner of the place about what’s going on instead of just letting it going on for a year and then holding out their hand expecting the owner to cough up the money when he most likely didn’t even know what was going on, plus it wasn’t him who used the electricity either! So, if you want to blame anyone apart from the POS who didn’t pay then it’s the electricity company! 

• Like 2

What would be nice would be a government controlled deposit scheme, such as the UK has. Landlords must place all tenant's deposit money into the scheme, and this can be checked online by the tenant. At the end of the rental period the landlord can claim for deductions (if any) and supply the relevant proof.

If there are deductions the tenant can argue their case to the impartial deposit scheme administrator and the tenant will be refunded whatever they are owed.

It's that simple, and it saves all the headaches and hassle from both sides. From a landlords perspective, however, you have to make sure that you fully document the state of the property before the tenant moves in. This is a good thing to do anyway in all cases though.

If Thailand had a scheme like this it would help so many people, both landlords and tenants. The scheme is funded by the interest generated on the deposits held.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

I totally disagree! The electricity company should’ve cut the electricity and removed the meter or at the very least informed the owner of the place about what’s going on instead of just letting it going on for a year and then holding out their hand expecting the owner to cough up the money when he most likely didn’t even know what was going on, plus it wasn’t him who used the electricity either! So, if you want to blame anyone apart from the POS who didn’t pay then it’s the electricity company! 

Just what i say its strange they not take meter away! That they wait 11 month!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

This is why landlords should ask for big deposits, and a good reason to not refund the deposit until there's proof of payment of all bills, all damage etc.

Been there done that, and the foreign tenants the worst at leaving the house filthy dirty, furniture, walls, or disappeared, pool damaged and bills not paid. 

Really?

Foreigners are the worst?

I have very different experiences.

19 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:
34 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Just what i say its strange they not take meter away! That they wait 11 month!

The electricity company doesn't know who lives at the address, they assume it is the owner, and that it is him who receives the bill every month.

As why they didn't remove the meter, it is all in the OP if you bothered to read it, and the owner, same as almost everyone else who owns a place, and that includes me and most of the bashers on this forum, most probably wasn't aware either that during this period they don't remove the meter after the usual 7 days. So nothing to do with lazy.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The landlord said that the electrical authorities told them that government policy during the pandemic was not to cut electricity for a whole year. 

Just another example for a poorly communicated or inconsistently applied government policy. If the landlord had known, they would have realized the importance of checking if the bills have been paid.

Under normal circumstances, checking when the tenant moves out and before returning the deposit is sufficient.

20 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Can the electric bill payment be included in the rental agreement? Any utility should surely be part of the agreement. Estimate the costs and add it to the rental. 

As has been said, property management is what it's all about

Do that and some people would run aircon 24/7.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Susco said:

The electricity company doesn't know who lives at the address, they assume it is the owner, and that it is him who receives the bill every month.

As why they didn't remove the meter, it is all in the OP if you bothered to read it, and the owner, same as almost everyone else who owns a place, and that includes me and most of the bashers on this forum, most probably wasn't aware either that during this period they don't remove the meter after the usual 7 days. So nothing to do with lazy.

Yes, I read that in the OP, but I also read in the same OP that a lot of people said their electricity was cut despite the pandemic. Either way I still blame the electricity company for not doing enough to resolve the problem. 

Hey there is a pandemic going on. Is the renter a foreigner who went back to their country? If so why would the electricity be

left on, just unplug the fridge, and take the meter off, or switch off all the breakers so no electricity gets used. It does look like

a lazy landlord to me.  

Geezer