Retirement extension

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You lose no days by doing it early. The new extension will start from the day the current one expires.

I renewed mine in august which was due in September and they started it on the day I applied , I was robbed of 2 weeks ,,,,,,it was the first time I had to get OA related insurance so maybe that had something to do with it as they said the insurance had to start on the day I applied , 

Just now, mikebell said:

If you do it early do you lose 30/45 days or is it counted as the due date?

I'm pretty certain the new extension is 90 days or 12 months from the date of extension. Whether or not that's what the law says is unclear to me.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong

He is applying  for a extension based upon retirement that is valid for one year. The extension will start at the end of his current extension 

Well, lets agree to differ then shall we? having just obtained a new extension for less than 1 year. I've been wrong before but not this time, unless my reading skill has declined somewhat. Perhaps the custom is different for different offices; I am not so confident about it as you seem to be. Good luck.

21 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Perhaps the custom is different for different offices; I am not so confident about it as you seem to be.

The one year starting from the end or the current one you have is a standard procedure for immigration. If your are getting less than year then you must be dealing with a rogue office.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The one year starting from the end or the current one you have is a standard procedure for immigration. If your are getting less than year then you must be dealing with a rogue office.

Must be dealing with a rogue office then I suppose. Anyway, I ansered the querents question according to my experience.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You lose no days by doing it early. The new extension will start from the day the current one expires.

Sorry to butt in to this thread, but I'm doing my extension now and would like to know how long AFTER the expiration date can you apply, i.e. is there a grace period like for the 90-Day report?

6 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Sorry to butt in to this thread, but I'm doing my extension now and would like to know how long AFTER the expiration date can you apply, i.e. is there a grace period like for the 90-Day report?

If you apply after expiry date you will be fined 500/day. 

Also not recommend as you will be on overstay

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

The only reason you would not receive the 12 months from end of your current permission of stay is for things such as obtaining extension to a non O-A that requires insurance policy dated from day of application (or earlier). That yearly policy would mean stamped for 12 months from day you applied.

Or another is where passport expires in less than 12 months from current extension.

Otherwise it's 12 months from end of current extension and not 12 months from day of application. If it's someone's first extension it would be 12 months from day of application.

Thanks. I've said all I have to say on this. As far as I am concerned, the facts is the facts and that's all. Thanks for the reply though.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
23 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

If you apply after expiry date you will be fined 500/day. 

Also not recommend as you will be on overstay

Edited 15 minutes ago by DrJack54

Ah, thanks - I'd forgotten about that, but was hoping for a grace period.

The reason I want to go close to the renewal date is for the Health Insurance timing. I usually go 3 or 4 weeks early, but the health insurance will start just before the expiration of the extension.

So if there was a problem and I couldn't go the day before the expiration expires, I was hoping I could go a bit later.

I hate having to do things on specific dates - you never know what might happen.

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

I'm pretty certain the new extension is 90 days or 12 months from the date of extension. Whether or not that's what the law says is unclear to me.

In Jomtien the new 12 month retirement extension has always started from the expiry date of the old extension, not from the date of application. That has been my experience for the past many years. 

43 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Ah, thanks - I'd forgotten about that, but was hoping for a grace period.

The reason I want to go close to the renewal date is for the Health Insurance timing. I usually go 3 or 4 weeks early, but the health insurance will start just before the expiration of the extension.

So if there was a problem and I couldn't go the day before the expiration expires, I was hoping I could go a bit later.

I hate having to do things on specific dates - you never know what might happen.

I renewed mine at CW last week 40 days before expiry date and the new day & month shown in my passport is kept the same,  1 year from expiry of last extension. 

My health insurance company had issued me with the Covid cover letter, but I wasn't asked and therefore didn't show it.

7 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Well, lets agree to differ then shall we? having just obtained a new extension for less than 1 year. I've been wrong before but not this time, unless my reading skill has declined somewhat. Perhaps the custom is different for different offices; I am not so confident about it as you seem to be. Good luck.

Please check the expiration of your passport, this would be the only situation I could think of as to why they would not give you a yearly extension of stay based on retirement from the last day of your previous visa expiration date.

Also if the visa is OA they may reduce it if your health insurance doesn't cover the full year.

EDIT: sorry just read @DrJack54 pretty much said the same thing ????

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong

He is applying  for a extension based upon retirement that is valid for one year. The extension will start at the end of his current extension 

Just proved it in Phetchabun Immigration today 20 April, previous extension expired on 29th, latest extension expires on 29th next year.

6 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

No grace period, you may or may not be fined by your local office, but overstays is a major issue with Immigration. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

No....you do not lose any time.

well;

ur extension last day stays  the same always,  BUT ur 90 days starts the day you do ur report

PHUKET 

gives you a new 90 day on the day you do your yearly extension, NOT all offices do

Edited by zzzzz

Just now, mikebell said:

For saying 'thank you'?

No of course not. I think perhaps I was confusing names. If so then apologies. Anyway, I think the usefulness of all this has expired. I don't think I'll be offering any more contributions on this forum. Good luck to everyone. Stay well.

Edited by ParkerN

14 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

Slightly off topic, but I did my 90 day report at Jomtien last week.  They put a stamp on my receipt to remind me my extension was due in May. (Actually they called it a visa).

A nice touch I thought.

So many of us are to be forgiven for referring to it as a visa. A rose is a rose by any other name.????