Is TOT Fiber2U recommended for heavy usage/gaming?

TPDH

Hey

I’m in Bangkok and my building offers TOT Fiber2U with the fastest package at 1 gbps / 700 mbps. The building is only 60m from the station and I believe it’s FTTH. I’m a heavy user as I play games on EU and NA servers so low ping is important. 

What’s your experience with TOT Fiber2U? 

Will I actually get the speeds they advertise and get low latency to EU and NA during peak usage hours in Thailand? 

Edited by TPDH

• 2 weeks later...

I live nowhere near you but I've had a good service from TOT Fiber2U. In common with their old ADSL service, they don't seem to throttle traffic at any time, unlike 3BB, True, Sinet and others. This is a good thing on the whole, unless there are a lot of other subscribers in your area. Pings to the EU/USA are the same with every Thai ISP in my experience, and they're not great.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:36 AM, TPDH said:

I’m a heavy user as I play games on EU and NA servers so low ping is important. 

Just to make it clear: don't expect magically short pings to EU or North America(?).

Both in the 200 ms or higher range.

(UK like 180, westcoast like 280 roughly)

I have zero experience with online gaming but noticed a few complaints from people living in Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:36 AM, TPDH said:

Will I actually get the speeds they advertise

1 Gbit/s is out of bounds for overseas connection.

(theoretical limit for household equipment anyway)

Best cases seen are like 500 Mbit/s.

But is this highly relevant for your case?

(the thread was dead for long, hope it's still of interest)

Edited by KhunBENQ

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just to make it clear: don't expect magically short pings to EU or North America(?).

Both in the 200 ms or higher range.

(UK like 180, westcoast like 280 roughly)

I have zero experience with online gaming but noticed a few complaints from people living in Thailand.

Really depends a lot on how competitive the guys are and if its Player VS Player and what kind of games. Sometimes these things really matter. I knew i got killed a lot in Warcraft because of high ping when i moved to Thailand. I don't play it anymore but the situation has improved a bit. 

Since the ToT and CAT merger  they have stuck me behind a carrier grade NAT   meaning that  the WAN IP address  reported by my router  and the ip address seen from outside on the internet are not the same..this has broken my VPN and IP cameras

which rely on dynamic DNS to advertise my real ( internet facing)  IP address   everything else seems to work  and they wont switch me back unless upgrading to a higher priced package ????????

1567969593_crop_CGNATTOT.jpg.b4605326768e8507b4e9391ec400cde4.jpg