Thailand reports 1,443 new COVID-19 cases, 4 new deaths

webfact

6 minutes ago, Nismooo said:

Not sure that is enough due to the diffrence in numbers right now and last year but i really hope you are right. 

The numbers might have gone down last year with a lighter lockdown like now...we don't know. This will be a real-world test.

• Like 2

The rest of the world may soon return to Pre-Covid. In Thailand, the situation is exactly the same as a year ago. In a year, we will say that the situation is exactly the same as two years ago.
Happy I left Thailand 10 months ago. Here in Europe, my children can go to school every day.
Wondering if I can move back to Thailand in five years ???

Great news if the negotiations are successful:

Prayut said on Tuesday that the government were in the process of acquiring between 5-10 million doses of Pfizer and that general registration for vaccines is due to begin on May 1 ahead of the locally produced AZ vaccines.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1384423076918562819

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

We do have a more or less 2 week lockdown...and if numbers stay the same can see them extending it another two weeks till mid-May. Hopefully this will squash virus spread as effectively as last March/April.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you're correct, this is something we'd all love to see and if it was last year I would agree with you 100%. My doubts however is the new strain of variant, its a different ball game but here's hoping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Among the new COVID case totals reported Tuesday by province (along with Monday's totals in comparison):

Bangkok -- 350 (up from 293)

Chiang Mai -- 116 (down from 197)

Chonburi -- 82 (down from 98)

Samut Prakan -- 60 (down from 82)

Pathum Thani -- 57 (up from 19)

Surat Thani -- 47 (down from 42)

Nakhon Ratchasima -- 47 (up from 35)

Phetchaburi -- 43 (up from 35)

Prachuap Khiri Khan -- 41 (up from 23)

04-20-21b.png.4245dcf8c8570da25addec07b600e8dd.png

04-20-21a.jpg.5e7cb3e02c7976e51f8f8ae22857f1d7.jpg

The most important number is '4' , shown in a little corner.

= +4 people died (over a population of 60.000.000).

108 is also a very important number, but it is the total, including also 2020, which means a 16 months period. Divided by 16 it seems another tiny little number.

Let's be scared by the cases then. However, what is a case after all?

I am just commenting the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

Why only that particular 4, every death from covid can be seen as the responsibility of some government or other.

Now remind us who would have the greatest load on their conscience if they had one.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

If a 14-day period is mentioned then these would pre date covid.

Thing is, do they die and oh by the way they tested pos for covid?

Or did the virus actually see them off.?

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Osthos said:

On that point I would say HK was in exactly the same position last November as Thailand is in now. The superspreader event that triggered a wave of serious cases was linked to a ballroom dancing club. People in close proximity dancing without masks and violating the limit on the number of people present at the same time (Sound familiar?). From this wave HK implemented very similar restrictions as Thailand has now, controlling the spread over a month or two.

As to the reduction of quarantine, I think it's obvious the economic considerations were weighed quite heavily in that decision.

And I agree short term lockdown pain will control this wave quicker and would be preferable for some. But what about those who would lose their livelihoods or those who can't afford a hard lockdown? Does the government have the will or the means to help them survive?  

I get all your points but i still feel that the HK and BKK outbreaks are not exactly the same. Considering the population, culture, tourism vs economy and more. People will react diffrent to government control on many many factors. 

Im not trying to prove anything here, it is just my own opinion after living in both countries. 

I know the economy was a factor of quarantine being reduced from 14 days to 10 days but is that change in revenue worth the risk? None of us know that for sure because we do not know the risk until it is too late. 

However judging from other countries that have even less tourism than Thailand... It is a difficult one. 

”To those who can not afford a hard lockdown”. 

Valid questions, all i can say is that i believe that supporting them economically during a lockdown would benefit more long term rather than not trying to end this outbreak quickly. 

9 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

The rest of the world may soon return to Pre-Covid. In Thailand, the situation is exactly the same as a year ago. In a year, we will say that the situation is exactly the same as two years ago.
Happy I left Thailand 10 months ago. Here in Europe, my children can go to school every day.
Wondering if I can move back to Thailand in five years ???

30k new daily cases in Germany...ER beds rapidly filling up...parliament squabbling over increased federal infection control measures...Italy out of their Easter lockdown yet? The only European country doing well is the only one not in the EU...the UK. Maybe your kids can go to school because they seem to have given up on controlling the virus. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Where's your empathy with the people who would be plunged into poverty as a result of your lockdown? Poverty is the main cause of premature death worldwide but you don't seem to care about that.

I have great empathy for them, in fact we support a few families in the Soi's surrounding us who have been taking hits.  Where have I ever said anything to the contrary, please show me.  The abject poverty you speak of is a direct result of this governments abject failure to take care of their people and by having programs where the lower part of the population lives and works daily.  We have probably given out close to over 500k ThB with our outreach here in the Sathorn Area, and I have assisted a friend in Phuket to get his Muay Thai gym up and running again and while they were shut supported his family as well.  Tell me what you have done to assist.  The lockdown is not of my doing and neither is the virus, constructive criticism of the way things are being done and possible ways to overcome the obstacles in front of us are discussed by many of us.  I have yet to hear of any "How about this be done or ?" from you in your posts, if you have great, I must have missed them.  You advocate for opening everything up from what I have seen.  Maybe I am misreading your posts, but then what you advocate would plunge more folks into abstract poverty by allowing the virus to continue to spread in a manner where more will suffer either physically or monetarily.  I will agree to disagree with you, but empathy is never short in my weapons of solace and comfort for others.  As Paul Harvey would say at the end of his radio show "Good day" 

39 minutes ago, Tech65 said:

I am just commenting the numbers.

There certainly are a lot of numbers relating to the COVID situation here in Thailand and elsewhere.... and people make of them what they will...

For me, lately, the numbers I try to pay most attention to for Thailand (beyond the daily new cases total and any deaths) are the number of so-called serious cases in hospitals (223 today) and the number within that group on ventilators (55) as of today because they can't breathe well enough on their own. Those are COVID cases here with serious medical problems.

In the overall sense, the Thailand numbers are indeed small compared, both overall and on a per capita basis) to many other countries in the world. But what I think concerns some folks here and causes cause for concern is the potential for those relatively small numbers keep growing and ultimately explode.

That hasn't quite happened yet -- at least according to the official data... And I don't know if it will happen. But the weeks now after the Song Kran holidays are likely to tell the story on that point, one way or another.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There certainly are a lot of numbers relating to the COVID situation here in Thailand and elsewhere.... and people make of them what they will...

For me, lately, the numbers I try to pay most attention to for Thailand (beyond the daily new cases total and any deaths) are the number of so-called serious cases in hospitals (223 today) and the number within that group on ventilators (55) as of today. Those are COVID cases here with serious medical problems.

In the overall sense, the Thailand numbers are indeed small compared, both overall and on a per capita basis) to many other countries in the world. But what I think concerns some folks here and causes cause for concern is the potential for those relatively small numbers keep growing and ultimately explode.

That hasn't quite happened yet... And I don't know if it will happen. But the weeks now after the Song Kran holidays are likely to tell the story on that point, one way or another.

It makes sense.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why only that particular 4, every death from covid can be seen as the responsibility of some government or other.

Now remind us who would have the greatest load on their conscience if they had one.

It is the totality Sandy, not just these particular 4, sorry I was not more verbose in my post, could the Government have stopped or slowed this issue by eliminating travel, well I believe they could, and yes you are absolutely right this Government and many others need to carry the blame for their abject failures.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

You realise that 500,000 people die each year in Thailand. That's over a thousand a day. Who is responsible for this "sad reality"? Death is a fact of life. Get over it.

And that statement leads on to an extra hundred a day from undiagnosed covid wouldnt be noticed I think.

"All primary and secondary schools are still scheduled to reopen on May 17, but this could change if measures to stem the COVID-19 outbreak did not lead to an improving situation.

Education Minister Treenuch Thienthong said a meeting of senior education officials has agreed to keep the school term calendar unchanged at this time.

However, the meeting also agreed that the first semester opening could be delayed to June 1, if the COVID-19 spike is not slow down."

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So during covid, the deaths - like other countries - 75% more chance of dying if you are already over Thailand's (or own countries) average life expectancy. 77 for thailand.

Take those that die older tham life expectancy out and the figure change dramatically. protect the old and infirm, clean your hands and open up as we are destroying too much now

Amen, we’re all going to die of something and I for one, as a 77 year old, am not going to hide in a closet for my remaining days, months or years. This hysteria over Covid is way overblown and hyped beyond all reason

• Like 1

"With the hotlines 1668, 1669 and 1330 being overwhelmed with a large number of people requesting for beds, the government created another channel for COVID-19 infected patients to find beds through LINE application by adding LINE account @sabaideebot.

773639154_LineappforCOVIDbedrequesting2.jpg.efbda41871786f46e0a14288c4198c2f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157962287622050

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For me, lately, the numbers I try to pay most attention to for Thailand (beyond the daily new cases total and any deaths) are the number of so-called serious cases in hospitals (223 today) and the number within that group on ventilators (55) as of today because they can't breathe well enough on their own. Those are COVID cases here with serious medical problems.

That hasn't quite happened yet -- at least according to the official data... And I don't know if it will happen. But the weeks now after the Song Kran holidays are likely to tell the story on that point, one way or another.

Correct on all accounts. The number of serious cases is extremely concerning, as is the fact that this variant is believed to survive in people for longer than the first one. Above all else, we haven't seen the holiday explosion in numbers yet, which should be coming shortly. That assumes of course, that they actually have the tests for it, have the ability to test, and people are willing to be tested and thus quarantined

Perhaps I'm too cynical, but these numbers mean absolutely nothing to me

On top of the testing issues raised above, you also have the reporting...

• Like 2

The Thai government today finally leaked out a bit more information about the prospects for foreigners wondering when, if ever, they'll be able to receive a COVID vaccine through the government's vaccination program, since no other alternatives are yet available in country.

In an announcement Tuesday afternoon, the government said the following as part of news that the mass vaccination campaign for Thai citizens (so-called Phase 2) is due to begin in mid-May, with registrations for the Thai public to begin May 1. (Phase 1 has been the ongoing targeted vaccinations for medical staff, the Thai elderly and others)...

As for foreigners:

"On February 8, Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has repeated its commitment to give everyone in the country – including expats and migrant workers – vaccinations against COVID-19. Expats and foreign workers are likely to be vaccinated in phase 3 from June."

So there it is for today -- likely to be vaccinated from June. The government vaccine program, of course, will involve the locally produced version of the two-shot AstraZeneca vaccine.

A government spokesman earlier in the day said the government would share details in the future when they become available for the foreigner/expat community for issues such as how to register, what facilities will handle the vaccinations and other specifics.

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/4188083681215014

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

The problem with travel, as has been stated all along, is that without mass vaccinations there will be no semblance of normalcy, full stop.  When a country's health care system is at risk (which is why we are all masking up) everyone is vulnerable.  

Thailand's tourism industry, at this rate, will not rebound at all later this year.  It is simply too dangerous for tourism when you have to worry if everything will shut down, or if you have a broken ankle, or anything and cannot get services.  

As of today, all countries around the world are warning against non essential travel and those countries without vaccines will be on that list far longer.  

It's a very sad situation for some good people in Thailand.  

7 hours ago, webfact said:

16,119 people remain in hospital receiving treatment, 28,958 have recovered.

I would LOVE to know what these people are being treated with in hospital, as all I hear is of the number of people infected daily and the additional deaths, could this be scare mongering by the media.

Shouldn't they be advising us of what the infected patience are being treated with and those who have recovered were treated with, because it sure does sound like a lot of people are surviving this Covid Sars 2 virus, albeit the hospitals are being overwhelmed, perhaps having some faith in those to stay home for 14 days to recover as they do with the flu, yes yes we all know this is a far more contagious virus, that said, I am only constantly hearing of the amount of infected people and those that have died, and of course at the end, those that have recovered and those that are receiving treatment, but without telling us what drugs are giving them this recovery, because it surely isn't the magic bullet that they all want us to take.

Edited by onthedarkside
unsourced / unsubstantiated medical advise has been removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would LOVE to know what these people are being treated with in hospital, as all I hear is of the number of people infected daily and the additional deaths, could this be scare mongering by the media.

It has been reported here...many times in many different threads:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran. 

Yes, lets not mention the 277 deaths SO FAR on the highway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So during covid, the deaths - like other countries - 75% more chance of dying if you are already over Thailand's (or own countries) average life expectancy. 77 for thailand.

Take those that die older tham life expectancy out and the figure change dramatically. protect the old and infirm, clean your hands and open up as we are destroying too much now

Open up Thailand now?

You don’t seem to be keeping up on current events.