Thailand reports 1,443 new COVID-19 cases, 4 new deaths

webfact

5 hours ago, Sydneydave said:

That's good theres only been 4 deaths out of thousands of cases. They were most likely people in terrible health about to drop dead anyway. I always thought trying to lockdown Thais would be difficult. The whole country will have herd immunity shortly, while us Aussies will be hiding under our beds everytime someone sneezes for years to come ????

If everyone in Thailand were exposed to the virus, the death toll would hundreds of thousands - or more.

So far, Thailand has had only 20,000 cases. If there were instead millions of cases, the nation would suffer greatly.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Maybe she died of something else ie. with Sars Cov 2 but not covid.Covid is the disease, the asymptomatic cases are not classified as covid except by the confused.Without covid symptoms you don't have covid.

You are suggesting that someone could be infected with the Covid19 virus, but not “have COVID”. What if they have mild symptoms, do they have “half COVID”?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If everyone in Thailand were exposed to the virus, the death toll would hundreds of thousands - or more.

So far, Thailand has had only 20,000 cases. If there were instead millions of cases, the nation would suffer greatly.

So far Thailand has had 45,000 cases,you don't seem to be keeping up with current events try to keep up.

• Like 2

A young woman I know just died from Covid-19. She traveled to Phatthalung for Songkran, coming from Suratthani. She reported at hospital after Songkran feeling sick, already dead now. Only 24 years old. The village she was staying over Songkran is in a state of panic now. She was chubby, but I’m not aware of any other comorbidities. 
We’ll see if she makes it into the statistics tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gulfsailor said:

A young woman I know just died from Covid-19. She traveled to Phatthalung for Songkran, coming from Suratthani. She reported at hospital after Songkran feeling sick, already dead now. Only 24 years old. The village she was staying over Songkran is in a state of panic now. She was chubby, but I’m not aware of any other comorbidities. 
We’ll see if she makes it into the statistics tomorrow.

If it's any indication, the new four COVID deaths reported by the government today had all actually occurred at various times over the past several days... It seems to take them some time to work their way thru the official system before getting finally reported.

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are suggesting that someone could be infected with the Covid19 virus, but not “have COVID”. What if they have mild symptoms, do they have “half COVID”?

Dude there is no such thing as a Covid 19 virus so I'm not suggesting what you suggest I'm suggesting.There is a Sars Cov 2 virus which causes Covid 19 disease perhaps you are confusing the two.You can be infected with Sars Cov 2 and show no symptoms of Covid19 in which case you would be considered asymptomatic.If you are asymptomatic you don't have Covid 19 because Covid 19 is a disease not a virus. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Dude there is no such thing as a Covid 19 virus so I'm not suggesting what you suggest I'm suggesting.There is a Sars Cov 2 virus which causes Covid 19 disease perhaps you are confusing the two.You can be infected with Sars Cov 2 and show no symptoms of Covid19 in which case you would be considered asymptomatic.If you are asymptomatic you don't have Covid 19 because Covid 19 is a disease not a virus. 

Here is some info for some to digest

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Infection with the new coronavirus (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2) causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You are using semantics to obscure the number of cases. Anyone infected by the virus has COVID, the question is the amount of symptoms they have.

Back in the day, there were AIDS deniers who claimed there was no connection between HIV and AIDS. These were typically HIV infected people. As they died of AIDS, the movement disappeared. So, yes, we have seen this movie before.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is some info for some to digest

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Infection with the new coronavirus (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2) causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Thanks now I've got Covindigestion!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If it's any indication, the new four COVID deaths reported by the government today had all actually occurred at various times over the past several days... It seems to take them some time to work their way thru the official system before getting finally reported.

The process of cataloging deaths takes time in any jurisdiction and is generally problematic.  The “quick” numbers are often subject to revision. This is not just a Thai problem.

49 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Did they die with COVID-19 or of it and does this mean Thailand is doing a terrible job

I just reported the facts, you speculate what you want, hows that for you?

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The newest Darwin Award winner.........

The Darwin Awards commemorate the (remains of) individuals who contribute to the improvement of our gene pool by removing themselves from it

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Covid-19 is a serious illness that has killed over 3 million people worldwide. Survivors of Covid-19  often have long term serious symptoms. Thailand is in the early stages of an epidemic, and will have to enforce heavy restrictions to contain the spread of the virus. If they fail to do so, there would be many deaths and much misery.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So tiring to hear you exaggerating on a daily basis after every wave:

According to a government spokesman, the new deaths included:

--a bed-bound 78-year-old Thai woman from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a 78-year-old Thai man from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a bed-bound 86-year-old Indian national woman with pre-existing conditions,

Where is the exaggeration in my post Frits, show me please, I thought so you can't.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Those numbers are low because of the restrictions and preventative measures taken. If nothing had been done it would have been a different story. The English strain currently ripping through Thailand is much more contagious than what Thais are used to. Without a severe lockdown, it will only be stopped by vaccines. This is only the beginning and rough times are ahead especially when hospitals become overloaded. Track and trace will soon not work. 

The wifes parents are now shielding for the first time.

Actually vaccines even if they had plenty is not enough to stop this strain, look at the UK, it had to endure severe lockdowns and one of the worlds fastest vaccination plans to get where it is now.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Surat Thani -- 47 (down from 42)

Here's half the problem, they don't know the difference between a higher number and a lower number. 2025 is firming up stronger than July 1 2021.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Open up Thailand now?

You don’t seem to be keeping up on current events.

No, I would close everything for 3-4 months, vaccinate as much as can and then open everything up. By then we would be looking at 2 years of closures and job loses, it cannot continue much longer, we cannot stay in endless cycles of open and lockdown forever with new variants etc. Some point you have to take a risk. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Here's half the problem, they don't know the difference between a higher number and a lower number. 2025 is firming up stronger than July 1 2021.

That's a boo boo on my part, not theirs. Thanks for the tip. It's been corrected.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

a bed-bound 78-year-old Thai woman from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a 78-year-old Thai man from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a bed-bound 86-year-old Indian national woman with pre-existing conditions,

How did these 3 relative isolated  individuals get infected?

Relatives or from public exposure?

Just now, chang1 said:

The English strain currently ripping through Thailand is much more contagious than what Thais are used to. Without a severe lockdown, it will only be stopped by vaccines.

Its 1  1/2 times more virulent than standard Covid but doesn't appear to be more deadly. The AZ vaccine seems very successful against it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its 1  1/2 times more virulent than standard Covid but doesn't appear to be more deadly. The AZ vaccine seems very successful against it.

Even 50% (1.5x) is a big problem because R0 is proportional to the virus infectivity. That's a big jump.

However, according to latest/accepted results on wiki/variants of SARS2, the UK variant transmissibility is 74% (1.74x) higher and it is ~64% (30-104%) more lethal.  But the AZ vaccine is effective.

• Like 1