Pattaya: Should have been the busiest day of the year - but 2021 it's deserted

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon News

Reporters from Siam Chon News went to Beach Road in Pattaya on what should have been one of the busiest days of the year - the celebration of the Wan Lai festival that traditionally follows Songkran.

In a normal year there would be thousands of Thais and foreign tourists soaking each other in water wars having fun, spending money, drinking.

Not this year. There have been 1,283 cases of Covid-19 in Chonburi resulting in Pattaya being placed in a Red Zone meaning the event and its parade were all called off. 

7pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon News

Everything was shut up or mostly deserted.

Swimwear and swimming equipment seller Rairatee, 54, summed it up.

Normally she said she would have to hire three or four extra staff at this time of year and even then she'd be rushed off her feet.

She'd take in 20,000 to 30,000 baht. 

This year that won't even be 1,000 baht, she lamented. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-20

• Sad 1

It is all relative... Once upon a time this scene would have been the normal level of activity and road traffic in Pattaya. Not jsut my memory but plenty of videos on youtube supporting this in a time when the place was a more relaxed, carefree and happy town. Personally, I'd say it was nicer then. Not sure what the attraction is in going to a stressful, crowded, noisy and polluted destination to relax on holiday but it takes all sorts...

• Like 1

The last two years have been '' JUST <deleted> GREAT "  Just make it a national rule Songkran 3 days nation wide no more no less April 13-14-15. 

You don't need alcohol in your hand to have a good time nor do you need to throw water for days!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bangon04 said:

no chinese tour groups ....... oh dear....

Yes, very noticeable how clean the sidewalks and kerbs are, I daresay the backseat floors of taxis will also be clean, not to mention the floor of the airport trains. If anyone wants to accuse me of bigotry, be my guest. ????

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, tyga said:

It is all relative... Once upon a time this scene would have been the normal level of activity and road traffic in Pattaya. Not jsut my memory but plenty of videos on youtube supporting this in a time when the place was a more relaxed, carefree and happy town. Personally, I'd say it was nicer then. Not sure what the attraction is in going to a stressful, crowded, noisy and polluted destination to relax on holiday but it takes all sorts...

You must go back a looooooong way then. In all my time there it's never been that quiet.

Personally I'd be really enjoying the new version. It got OTT traffic insanity before corona.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 PM, bkk6060 said:

So there was 100 cars parked on BR.

Did not see any busy of what you say at all.

I guess what is your definition of busy? 

There were some people walking around the beach where the vendors were set up across from Central,  but the rest of the place was not even close to normal busy.  Dead actually.

Then, there was the famous Kite festival with a few onlookers.

IMG-20210420-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20210415-WA0005.jpeg

I'd be lov'n it.