Vaccinating Pattaya

TaaSaparot

Given the screw up in obtaining adequate vaccines (when they could ordered it many months ago), it is quite normal for this govt to vaccinate their citizens first, no matter that even farangs face the same risks. The AZ vaccine production in JUne/July is now in jeopardy - despite their PR. Unless you are a billionaire farang being courted by the govt, farangs dont really get any priority - despite being exposed to the same risks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently that is the only way  they can get Americans to have the jab!

My daughter in law got a badge in Connecticut .. no krispy..At least it’s available now for most .. My grandson is 16 ..has his appointment for second jab before the end of this month in Old Greenwich.

it’s so sad to see that Thailand, that handled the covid pandemic so well for a year, is now completely mishandling the vaccinations and restrictions in the last month or so. All that good work etc. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, garzhe said:

I think foreigners are unlikely to be included in any program in Thailand.  I tried to register with Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok as they are inviting requests to be notified when a vaccine is available. The response I got was extraordinary, telling me how they care for all Nationalities then saying I cant register without a Thai ID.

"Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.
Taking care of our patients during the covid regardless of their nationalities is our utmost priority. 
Please be advised that the current COVID-19 vaccination booking with the Office of Health BMA requires a Thai ID number. As of now, Bumrungrad International Hospital is yet to receive the supplies of COVID-19 vaccines. "

seems a bit discriminatory coming from an "international" hospital !!!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Really? Higher risk people first? You don't process how that would be medically ethical? 

I process that stretching the county's limited resources to cover foreign expats who have the options of returning to their home country and/or paying a private clinic/hospital for a jab is medically and politically unethical.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Dude.

Do not put words in my mouth.

I don’t think nationality should be relevant.

They should decide on priority protocols based on essential workers and high risk groups. Foreigners in those high risk groups should not be discriminated against.

Yes I know they aren't doing that.. 

When did the Thai government ever indicate that the welfare of farangs was of importance to them? The ever increasing hurdles for visa extensions did not make me feel that they wanted me in LOS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

I process that stretching the county's limited resources to cover foreign expats who have the options of returning to their home country and/or paying a private clinic/hospital for a jab is medically and politically unethical.

Omg.

You really haven't followed this!

Vaccines possibly being available to expats for money at private hospital s is yesterday's news.

Thailand is now in the middle of an exponential infection rate.

Of course no problem for expats to pay!

But we can't pay for  what won't be available to us.

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When did the Thai government ever indicate that the welfare of farangs was of importance to them? The ever increasing hurdles for visa extensions did not make me feel that they wanted me in LOS.

Not much but Covid extensions are a sign of compassion. 

Edited by Jingthing

31 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

The last paragraph: "On February 8, Thailand's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has repeated its commitment to give everyone in the country - including expats and migrant workers - vaccinations against COVID-19. Expats and foreign workers are likely to be vaccinated in phase 3 from June."

20210421_180747.jpg

Pretty vague whether they mean to include foreigners outside the Thai social security system. Like retired expats.

1 hour ago, starky said:

You want to argue about medical ethics? How about the all the first world countries hoarding vaccines at the detriment of all the high risk people globally in developing  nations who neither had the funds nor the political clout to secure any vaccine. Who will have a far greater risk of dying than those in developed nations or does your world view only consider your alleged needs in a country you choose to live in but would deny the natural born citizens? I would love to know your nationality so we could consider covid vaccination protocols regarding citizens versus visa holders in your land of birth. I imagine your views would be considered hypocritical at the very least if not absurd.

I don't make US policy but in the US vaccines are now available to all for free and that includes undocumented immigrants. Of course I agree rich countries have been greedy but on the other hand Thailand lacked a sense of urgency before with their vaccine program and it's on them that they're so far behind now 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jen65 said:

seems a bit discriminatory coming from an "international" hospital !!!

Yes, we have the image, then the reality. Go along there with some other aliment (not wanting a free jab), and you will be given their special treatment of price gouging. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It is but they are limited by Thai government policies. 

I recall the first wave, and I was on the Beach Rd talking to a Western pal about the quiet streets etc, when up came a working lady touting for business. Then arrived another Thai lady handing out face-masks. She gave the working girl some, and when my pal asked 'How about us'... we got a reply, in English, 'not for falang'. I do hope that sentiment is not to be continued. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, starky said:

Yes but a country who's rollout is struggling and have probably not even secured enough vaccine for its own populace surely you wouldn't be bold enough to suggest that you should be vaccinated before a Thai national? Or are you suggesting expats get vaccine before citizens? 

And what are you living here as PR? Citizen? Or just someone residing on a visa cos that's what I do and there is no way I would have the audacity to suggest I should be vaccinated before any Thai person.

Now the discussion will fall back to;   'but, but, what about the fact all Esan families are supported by farang, etc.'

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, we have the image, then the reality. Go along there with some other aliment (not wanting a free jab), and you will be given their special treatment of price gouging. 

The hospital mentioned is very good at targeting it's marketing strategies. It's quite possible they have a strategy to target Thai citizens (for the vaccine) until a certain date or when they have a certain numbers of sign ups from Thai folks, then their marketing/promotions will change to targeting farang.

Capitalism at work.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Obviously your not up to date with the daily new infections numbers in many areas in the LOS.

Total numbers.

1458 yesterday,

1443: 20th,

1390: 19th,

1767 18th,

1547: 17th,

1585: 16th, 

1543, 15th 

1335 14th

As I said these are not exponential (per the post I responded to) they are 'up to date' (yesterday), and it would appear you are just looking to argue.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The hospital mentioned is very good at targeting it's marketing strategies. It's quite possible they have a strategy to target Thai citizens (for the vaccine) until a certain date or when they have a certain numbers of sign ups from Thai folks, then their marketing/promotions will change to targeting farang.

Capitalism at work.

Let us  hope so, but that is guesswork so far. We are too quick to presume I suspect. I have been guilty of that in the past, particularly where extensions of stay were involved. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If we're living here it's to everyone's benefit for everyone to get vaccinated regardless of nationality. The virus doesn't check!

Exactly right!  When you consider that the actual purpose of a vaccine is to protect the ENTIRE population (not just the individual being vaccinated), it really makes no sense to prioritize who gets vaccinated first since ANY unvaccinated person is just as likely to spread the virus to others and therefore endanger the entire population.

I appreciate that the Government's priority is to its' own citizens but their real priority right now should be to do EVERYTHING possible to ensure that EVERYBODY (Thai and Non Thai) gets vaccinated as quickly as possible, and that means not putting up roadblocks that prevent private hospitals from procuring  vaccines on their own and vaccinating those who can pay for them!

I've listened to all the political rhetoric on why private procurement is not a good idea and none of it makes any sense at all, especially when you consider the rate of infections has been rapidly climbing in recent weeks all over Thailand and things are really started to get out of control!  

It only makes sense that private hospitals should be allowed to procure vaccines on their own and vaccinate those who can pay for it.  The REAL priority should be that any individual that is in a high risk group (over 65 and/or with comorbidities) are vaccinated as quickly as possible.

Every high risk person that is vaccinated (whether they are non Thai or Thai, able to pay or not) is just one less person that will spread this virus...and THAT is the real purpose of a vaccine; to protect the entire population, not just the individual.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

About 1500 every day hardly is exponential..... At this rate it will take 140 years to infect everyone. 

No offense, but I think you need to learn more about what exponential growth REALLY means.  1,500 today does NOT mean only 1,500 tomorrow...ya know? 

These new variants are much more transmissible than the virus formerly was.  The UK SARS-CoV-2 variant  has a transmission advantage of 0.4 to 0.7 points higher in reproduction number (R-Naught), compared to the initial strain.  So, to use the term "exponential growth" is not really so far fetched or unreasonable at all.

Even if there has been a slight down-tick in recent days, exponential growth is almost a certainty if the vaccine rollout does not increase in a big, big way and very quickly.

Edited by WaveHunter

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Exactly right!  When you consider that the actual purpose of a vaccine is to protect the ENTIRE population (not just the individual being vaccinated), it really makes no sense to prioritize who gets vaccinated first since ANY unvaccinated person is just as likely to spread the virus to others and therefore endanger a Thai National as likely as a non-Thai.

I appreciate that the Government's priority is to its' own citizens but their real priority right now should be to do EVERYTHING possible to ensure that EVERYBODY (Thai and Non Thai) gets vaccinated as quickly as possible, and that means not putting up roadblocks that prevent private hospitals from procuring  vaccines on their own!

I've listened to all the political rhetoric on why private procurement is not a good idea and none of it makes any sense at all, especially when you consider the rate of infections has been rapidly climbing in recent weeks all over Thailand and things are really started to get out of control!

It only makes sense that private hospitals should be allowed to procure vaccines on their own and vaccinate those who can pay for it.  The REAL priority should be that any individual that is in a high risk group (over 65 and/or with comorbidities) are vaccinated as quickly as possible.

Every high risk person that is vaccinated (whether they are Thai or non Thai) is just one less person that will spread this virus...and THAT is the real purpose of a vaccine; to protect the entire population, not just the individual.

And what % of people fully recover in the very very very unlikely chance they will ever get corona?...........Talk about overkill....

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

And what % of people fully recover in the very very very unlikely chance they will ever get corona?...........Talk about overkill....

Well that's not the point.  Every person who contracts the virus is capable of spreading the virus to a high-risk subject that may not so easily be able to recover. 

Furthermore, every single person who contracts the virus will wind up occupying a hospital bed (by legal mandate) for a period of time which puts an enormous strain on the healthcare system, thereby potentially depriving many higher risk patients from receiving adequate care.

Also, we're now talking about virus variants that have a much higher transmissibility factor.  The UK SARS-CoV-2 variant  has a transmission advantage of 0.4 to 0.7 points higher in reproduction number (R-Naught), compared to the initial strain.  That means (as we are already starting to see) a surge in new cases that could easily grow in exponential fashion.

I mean, perhaps you should look at the bigger picture.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WhatsNext said:

About 1500 every day hardly is exponential..... At this rate it will take 140 years to infect everyone. 

But it would be much better if the daily new infections rate was say 10% or less of the current daily infections numbers.