Vaccinating Pattaya

TaaSaparot

On 4/21/2021 at 1:52 PM, starky said:

Well shouldn't all Thai people be offered vaccination in their country before the expat population?

I mean unless you have citizenship or PR why in gods name would any foreigner be eligible for vaccination before people of Thai descent? 

Agreed but why offer registration to foreigners then say you cant get it, that was the point

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, Guderian said:

Far enough out in the Boondocks that it will be inaccessible for the many farangs living near the beach who don't have their own transport and depend on Baht Buses to get around. I should have thought that PEACH would have been a better location, at least for the Bright Side population. Makes no difference to me, just thinking of my fellow expats, some of whom don't have their own wheels.

When the article mentions pattaya "residents" that may be only for thai residents only; no farangs.

Edited by catturd

1 hour ago, WhatsNext said:

No offense either, but he was saying we are having exponential growth -at the moment- which we most certainly have not. 

It's a few days later, we are just over 2000 cases now. I am not saying that's a good thing, zero is better, but it's certainly not exponential. Believe me i know how to calculate. 

If you look at the stats over the last month they may not technically be "exponential" but so what?  A simple glance at the graphs of total cases and new cases per day shows a DRAMATIC upward trend in just the last month with a doubling of daily new cases in only ten days. 

Such an upward trend has not happened here in Thailand since this pandemic began over a year ago.  I'd say that's pretty concerning.  Who cares if it is technically exponential or not? 

1678681453_snapshot_2021-04-27at6_48_31PM.jpg.358ddcf072b7627e229e4f4fdc5237da.jpg216935641_snapshot_2021-04-27at6_48_06PM.jpg.4357e52d95327f997f395f5f7b63a95e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Who cares if it is technically exponential or not? 

" You are right, i am wrong" that's what you need to hear i think for your ego ?

This forum is getting impossible with all the keyboard warriors. The discussion was about exponential growth. If you change the definition then you are only using the word for dramatic, emotional exaggerating which helps no one in the current situation

Edited by WhatsNext
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are many possible reasons.

The current lockdown regimes are limiting the spread, so new cases no longer have the rapid rise exhibited prior. The R-number has decreased.

We have reached the maximum infection testing capabilities, and the number of new infections is limited by the number of tests being performed. (Meaning things are worse than being determined)

The numbers are suspect to manipulation.

A combination of the above. 

I got hit here for being overly optimistic, when I thought I saw flattening of numbers a week ago. (And trying to argue the true meaning of 'exponential') I still hold some optimism when I compare Thailand to the UK, countries of similar size and population. The new infections in both are of a similar magnitude, yet the UK is opening up.

My better half told me yesterday that City Hall is holding a testing session and all are invited to attend. Sounds in itself to be a potential super spreader event. She won't be attending for that very reason.

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, champers said:

My better half told me yesterday that City Hall is holding a testing session and all are invited to attend. Sounds in itself to be a potential super spreader event. She won't be attending for that very reason.

Well I am not familiar with the facilities there but one would hope it is run in a safe way... a medical facility could maybe do it better... Thais seem generally to like crowding together  judging by some of their events designed to draw in tourists. A testing facility in a large car park where people remain in their vehicles would be a good idea. Sadly not practical for most Pattaya Thais.

Edited by jacko45k

14 minutes ago, champers said:

Wow a super spreader event.....Sounds like fun....Will there be a band and girls there, what's the cover charge?

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I think it's shameful the Thai government has bought in restrictions that are basically a lockdown, but without announcing it as a lockdown, they don't have to make some welfare payments.  

Yes underhand and disgusting...but what more could you expect....the Thai,s on social media are saying just the same.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

My point simple was, the line will continue its upward trend until reaching Thailand's maximum capacity to cope.  There is a point where there are not enough test kits, staff, pathology, hospital beds etc, then you will see the line go flat over time.  At that point, we will never know how bad it is here.

The questions is, what is Thailand's maximum capacity? 

I think it's shameful the Thai government has bought in restrictions that are basically a lockdown, but without announcing it as a lockdown, they don't have to make some welfare payments.  

Fair point about payments but it's not a lockdown.

You're allowed to leave your home as you want.

Malls are open. 

You can shop for groceries any day of the week.

You can take long walks including on the beach.

You don't have to get a government pass to leave your house.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Malls are open. 

Phew.  That's good news Jing.  I was starting to think we were in lockdown.   ????

• Haha 1

Just now, Leaver said:

Phew.  That's good news Jing.  I was starting to think we were in lockdown.   ????

Not saying it's great but putting this into a global perspective it's not technically a lockdown. Lockdowns are basically being a prisoner in your own home. 

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Malls are open. 

Similar to the UK's "Lockdown" then.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, garzhe said:

Agreed but why offer registration to foreigners then say you cant get it, that was the point

Because foreigners might get Covid then spread it to the Thai population. The virus does not care what your nationality is.

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

Because foreigners might get Covid then spread it to the Thai population. The virus does not care what your nationality is.

Whilst the virus doesn't care what nationality their host is, the farang demographic in Thailand is predominantly older retirees, and they are the most at risk group.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:26 AM, Jingthing said:

Not saying it's great but putting this into a global perspective it's not technically a lockdown. Lockdowns are basically being a prisoner in your own home. 

Sooooo, how does one get food to live on if a prisoner in one's home?

In NZ shopping at supermarkets was never banned during lockdown, and neither was going for walks.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, how does one get food to live on if a prisoner in one's home?

In NZ shopping at supermarkets was never banned during lockdown, and neither was going for walks.

I'm thinking more of the Chinese style lockdowns.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:36 AM, Leaver said:

Pattaya is now a "dark red zone." 

Do you think the next step will be "darker red zone."   ????

If that doesn't stop the spread of the virus, do you think they will declare Pattaya the "darkest red zone?"  ????

How many colours and restrictions have they got, without declaring a lockdown, thus unlocking welfare payments?  It's a disgrace.  

The next restrictions will be called double trouble double secret double nasty double mandatory double fines double emergency......But whatever you do DONT  call it a lockdown...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Whilst the virus doesn't care what nationality their host is, the farang demographic in Thailand is predominantly older retirees, and they are the most at risk group.  

I don't think that it's surprising if a government thinks about the welfare of its own citizens first, which might be why vaccination of foreigners is deferred to the second round.

Elderly foreign retirees are doubtless a high-risk group in terms of getting seriously ill, but are they also high-risk for spredning the virus around? If the answer to that is no, then why should they be given priority over citizens in a similar risk group?

And, yes, I am myself a 60+ retiree, but, as a foreigner, that doesn't make me feel entitled to receive any special treatment.

However, what I do resent, is that the government so far has been unwilling to give the private hospitals permission to independently import vaccines. I have no idea of why that is, but it is completely unacceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I don't think that it's surprising if a government thinks about the welfare of its own citizens first

You mean like not calling it a lockdown, so they don't trigger handouts to their own citizens?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

However, what I do resent, is that the government so far has been unwilling to give the private hospitals permission to independently import vaccines. I have no idea of why that is, but it is completely unacceptable.

Image.

50 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

I don't think that it's surprising if a government thinks about the welfare of its own citizens first, which might be why vaccination of foreigners is deferred to the second round.

Elderly foreign retirees are doubtless a high-risk group in terms of getting seriously ill, but are they also high-risk for spredning the virus around? If the answer to that is no, then why should they be given priority over citizens in a similar risk group?

And, yes, I am myself a 60+ retiree, but, as a foreigner, that doesn't make me feel entitled to receive any special treatment.

Treating all humans here that are in the high risk group equally is NOT special treatment! You're fooling yourself if you think the reason high risk foreigners are being shafted is because it's been determined they're low risk of spreading. Some are and some aren't just like higher risk Thais. Face the reality. We're being treated this way because we're not Thai. Period.

I totally agree with you that private hospitals should be allowed to do a different track. However if they did I think it should be ethical. In other words high risk people first and not to begin before the public free program begins.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Treating all humans here that are in the high risk group equally is NOT special treatment! You're fooling yourself if you think the reason high risk foreigners are being shafted is because it's been determined they're low risk of spreading. Some are and some aren't just like higher risk Thais. Face the reality. We're being treated this way because we're not Thai. Period.

I totally agree with you that private hospitals should be allowed to do a different track. However if they did I think it should be ethical. In other words high risk people first and not to begin before the public free program begins.

Instead of feeling entitled and bitching about unfair treatment, which I don't have any influence over anyway, I have chosen to just take a simple precaution until the time I have been vaccinated: I stay at home and only go out if absolutely necessary (e.g., doctor's appointment, immigration office, etc.).

Would I prefer to be vaccinated sooner rather than later? Of course I would, and had I been back in my home country, I already would have been (but then, I also might have been been dead - after all, until now Thailand has been one of the safest places to be).

Anyway, I have long time ago realised that worrying about things that I have no control over isn't accomplishing anything, except being bad for my blood pressure.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Instead of feeling entitled and bitching about unfair treatment, which I don't have any influence over anyway, I have chosen to just take a simple precaution until the time I have been vaccinated: I stay at home and only go out if absolutely necessary (e.g., doctor's appointment, immigration office, etc.).

Would I prefer to be vaccinated sooner rather than later? Of course I would, and had I been back in my home country, I already would have been (but then, I also might have been been dead - after all, until now Thailand has been one of the safest places to be).

Anyway, I have long time ago realised that worrying about things that I have no control over isn't accomplishing anything, except being bad for my blood pressure.

We seem to be talking about different things. 

I think I'm talking about what appears to  be happening.

You seem to be talking about your personal psychological philosophy of how to deal with what is happening. 

In any case best wishes. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We seem to be talking about different things. 

I think I'm talking about what appears to  be happening.

You seem to be talking about your personal psychological philosophy of how to deal with what is happening. 

In any case best wishes. 

Thank you - best wishes for you too!