Vaccinating Pattaya

TaaSaparot

On 5/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, Leaver said:

Maybe the Thai government's policy is to spend nothing, do nothing, and hope covid disappears.

Yes, or let the rest of the world vaccinate itself first so that it gets herd immunity and won't infect the unvaccinated Thais. Lots of money saved, and the PM can get the submarine catalogue out again, lol.

• Like 1

I was at the Phaya Thai hospital in Sri Racha a couple times rcently. At the end of April, they didn't have any vaccine at all.

But 2 days ago they informed my that I could now register to get vaccinated later this summer. I asked which vaccine and they said the Astra (AZ). No Sinovac (thanks goodness), but no Pfizer either.
However, the Pfizer could be approved and here by then so who knows. I'd rather wait for that one. 

Never asked the price but at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, they charge 5,990 baht to do a covid-19 test (which is mandatory before any major surgery apparently).
And it wasn't covered by my normal medical insurance apparently as I had to pay for it in cash. 

The test was negative, however, that only means I didn't have covid at the time they took the swabs (I swear the nurse had the nose swab so far up my sinuses that she was going to try and pull it out through my mouth.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The test was negative, however, that only means I didn't have covid at the time they took the swabs (I swear the nurse had the nose swab so far up my sinuses that she was going to try and pull it out through my mouth.)

She remembers you from the past......????

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, pontious said:

They have 3,800 Baht for the test on there website.?

Maybe that's the "local" price. Even though I was there with 3 Thai friends, it was obvious I wasn't a "local".

I thought it was expensive. It was 5,900 for the test and 90 baht for the 2 cotton swabs and the little plastic vial they were put into (medical supplies).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/08/pattaya-set-to-receive-80000-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines-for-roughly-40000-people-by-end-of-this-month-tourism-reopening-plans-still-on-track-says-mayor/

Pattaya set to receive 80,000 doses of Covid –19 vaccines for roughly 40,000 people by end of this month, tourism reopening plans still on track says Mayor

I thought the population of Banglamung was around 300,000, so is 40,000 inoculated even any impact?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought the population of Banglamung was around 300,000, so is 40,000 inoculated even any impact?

Looking at some numbers, it seems Bang Lamung has around 300,000 population and Pattaya about 120,000 for a total of 420,000. (Remember that while Pattaya is "within" Bang Lamung, and Chon Buri for that matter, it is a "Special Administrative Area" just like Bangkok and doesn't fall under Bang Lamung or Chon Buri administration).

Also remember that yes, there are waaaay more than 120,000 people in Pattaya. But the rest of those people are not "registered" as residents of the city. They count as residents of whatever district they are registered in. Which is why when there are national elections, so many people have to rush back to their home village to vote (voting is compulsory in Thailand by the way).
(I don't think foreigners are counted unless they are permanent residents or have dual citizenship or are listed on a Tabien Baan maybe. Still, probably wouldn't add more than a few thousand more people.)

So even then, 80,000 doses (for 40,000 people) is only a third of the population (of Pattaya). Or less.

9 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, or let the rest of the world vaccinate itself first so that it gets herd immunity and won't infect the unvaccinated Thais. Lots of money saved, and the PM can get the submarine catalogue out again, lol.

That could have been their plan, until they discovered that you can still catch covid and spread covid, even after being vaccinated.  That meant they had to vaccinate here.  Could be why they are so far behind with a vaccination program.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 3:47 AM, starky said:

Don't see any evidence of any country in the world treating their response any differently. In fact some countries like the US are stockpiling far more vaccine than they need that could sorely be used for the rest of the world. 

Still don't see the reasoning behind why you think you would deserve a vaccine before a citizen thats not super nationalistic just common sense. I have a wife and children here no doubt in my mind who should be getting any vaccine first.

US has ordered way more than needed.  Current CDC figures say that about 70 million more doses have been "delivered" than have been "administered".  I don't know if that means delivered to the vaccination sites or what.  They may have more warehoused.  At any rate, it's about a 24 day supply at current vaccination rates.

However, we'll soon be awash in vaccine.  Vaccination rates are dropping.  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/21/states-covid-vaccine-problem-483872

excerpt: 

By DAN GOLDBERG and RACHEL ROUBEIN

04/21/2021 04:30 AM EDT

... The supply of Covid vaccines is now exceeding demand in rural areas and big cities, even as states lift remaining eligibility restrictions, open walk-in clinics and even offer shots to out-of-state residents.

It's a jarring twist after months during which vaccine-seekers crashed appointment websites seeking shots and stalked pharmacy counters hoping to snag leftover doses. And it’s a problem that state and federal officials are rushing to address with only limited success.

On Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, EMS personnel are bringing the vaccine to any house or business with more than three people. New Orleans partnered with a bar in a "shots for shots" promotion. North Dakota officials are piloting pop-up clinics at Walmart. And states like Georgia, Mississippi and Montana are weighing what to do about surplus vaccine that could go to waste as they face more open slots than ever before."

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Today, Pattaya's 57 year old Mayor had his second dose of the Sinovac Vaccine.

184382943_2955312568073528_8434787564960020987_n.jpg.72df858071ed6729e8125c9293aaf1b9.jpg

On a side note, that is a perfect example of why Thai nursing is a joke, IMO. The DOCTOR is injecting the vaccine while the nurse is acting as a hand maiden.

In a country where nurses could do their proper job the nurse would be giving it without having an assistant to hold the tray.

At least the nurse is properly protected with an eye shield, while the Dr isn't.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On a side note, that is a perfect example of why Thai nursing is a joke, IMO. The DOCTOR is injecting the vaccine while the nurse is acting as a hand maiden.

Well of course, it is a photo op! Although you raise a question I have wondered... can nurses administer vaccinations in Thailand?

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well of course, it is a photo op! Although you raise a question I have wondered... can nurses administer vaccinations in Thailand?

Good question and my guess is no...not in hospitals....but in Private clinics I,m sure they can,and do.

Oh great, so now he has about a 50/50 chance of catching (or not catching) covid by using the cheapest, lowest efficiency vaccine available.

A few weeks ago it was noted that, at best, the Sinovac vaccine is about 50-54% effective after the second dose, with the higher efficiency attributed to a longer period between the 1st and 2nd jabs.
There was even an article where top Chinese officials noted that their vaccine wasn't very good.

I wonder how they'll try to spin it if a month from now he ends up testing positive for covid.

16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Oh great, so now he has about a 50/50 chance of catching (or not catching) covid by using the cheapest, lowest efficiency vaccine available.

A few weeks ago it was noted that, at best, the Sinovac vaccine is about 50-54% effective after the second dose, with the higher efficiency attributed to a longer period between the 1st and 2nd jabs.
There was even an article where top Chinese officials noted that their vaccine wasn't very good.

I wonder how they'll try to spin it if a month from now he ends up testing positive for covid.

50/50 chance of not catching CV19.  But a 100% chance of not ending up in the ICU with a tube jammed down your throat.  Pretty good....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

50/50 chance of not catching CV19.  But a 100% chance of not ending up in the ICU with a tube jammed down your throat.  Pretty good....

The problem, as was demonstrate in Chile not long ago (using the same vaccine) is that people don't think it's "50/50". They assume that once they have the 2nd jab that they are immune and no longer have to worry about things like masks and social distancing.

That, and an early "re-opening" by Chile led to a dramatic rise in infections despite them being one of the most vaccinated countries in the world. (Apparently a lot of people in Chile thought that they would be immune after just a single dose of Sinovac). 

I have no doubt that people here will also assume they are immune even after a single jab and most may not bother going back for the 2nd jab. The studies that noted the low efficiency of the Sinovac stated that it's efficiency after a single jab was barely 2% !!

When I was in the hospital in Sri Racha, the doctor told me they had the AZ vaccine.

A Reuters article from 7 May notes:
One dose of COVID-19 vaccines from AstraZeneca and Pfizer was 86.6 per cent effective in preventing infections among people aged 60 and older, real world data released by South Korea showed on Wednesday."

Apparently the AZ is about 76% effective for those under 60 (which seems a bit odd, you'd think it would be the other way around).

Personally, I'd hold out until one of the better ones was available unless I had no other choice.

• Thanks 1

I think the doctor was just there for the photo-op. I spend a couple days in a couple hospitals recently, from a little district hospital in Rayong to BHP in Pattaya and the Phaya Thai hospital in Sri Racha.

In every case, it was a nurse that was administering the assorted needles of whatever they kept filling me with while I was there (mostly pain killers and anti-biotics I think).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

The problem, as was demonstrate in Chile not long ago (using the same vaccine) is that people don't think it's "50/50". They assume that once they have the 2nd jab that they are immune and no longer have to worry about things like masks and social distancing.

That, and an early "re-opening" by Chile led to a dramatic rise in infections despite them being one of the most vaccinated countries in the world. (Apparently a lot of people in Chile thought that they would be immune after just a single dose of Sinovac). 

I have no doubt that people here will also assume they are immune even after a single jab and most may not bother going back for the 2nd jab. The studies that noted the low efficiency of the Sinovac stated that it's efficiency after a single jab was barely 2% !!

When I was in the hospital in Sri Racha, the doctor told me they had the AZ vaccine.

A Reuters article from 7 May notes:
One dose of COVID-19 vaccines from AstraZeneca and Pfizer was 86.6 per cent effective in preventing infections among people aged 60 and older, real world data released by South Korea showed on Wednesday."

Apparently the AZ is about 76% effective for those under 60 (which seems a bit odd, you'd think it would be the other way around).

Personally, I'd hold out until one of the better ones was available unless I had no other choice.

110% agreed!  But with all these jabs, they're 100% effective at keeping you out of the ICU.  IMHO, that's the most important factor. 

thumbnail.jpg

I haven't noticed anywhere (or really looked) but what happens if say you take the Sinovac now and then maybe 2 months from now you take the Pfizer (or another high efficiency vaccine) ?

You'd think it wouldn't really matter and that it would give you even better protection (like wearing a condom and using a spermicide for example to prevent pregnancy). 

Scary that they don't seem to really know if you can still transmit the virus after being vaccinated. I can imagine a whole mass of outbreaks happening from "vaccinated" people infecting "non-vaccinated" people.

At least people aren't turning into zombies.

Yet..........

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/09/britons-catching-covid-vaccination-get-milder-form-disease/

King’s estimates the current risk of a Covid-19 infection for the unvaccinated is one in 46,855, falling to 1 in 97,616 after the first dose, and 1 in 167,341 after the second dose.

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/09/britons-catching-covid-vaccination-get-milder-form-disease/

King’s estimates the current risk of a Covid-19 infection for the unvaccinated is one in 46,855, falling to 1 in 97,616 after the first dose, and 1 in 167,341 after the second dose.

It's statistics such as these that will allow tourism to start again.  Basically, the majority of a population has to be full vaccinated.  "Majority" meaning, at least over 50%.  

On 5/11/2021 at 1:50 PM, jacko45k said:

Actually, from my time in a Thai private hospital, that is pretty much what they did. They certainly didn't do any hands on nursing. That was assigned to the assistants.

If they can't give injections they wouldn't be considered nurses. Anyway, if the Drs had to do menial tasks like injections there would be a lot more of them and a lot less nurses.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, Kerryd said:

I think the doctor was just there for the photo-op. I spend a couple days in a couple hospitals recently, from a little district hospital in Rayong to BHP in Pattaya and the Phaya Thai hospital in Sri Racha.

In every case, it was a nurse that was administering the assorted needles of whatever they kept filling me with while I was there (mostly pain killers and anti-biotics I think).

I think the doctor was just there for the photo-op.

Probably true, though he should have  been wearing an eye shield.

I remember during my training when a photo was published in the local newspaper of the matron holding a baby for some reason which I forget. Of course during a normal day matron never ever went on a ward, and certainly never ever had a baby in her arms.

• Like 1