Rally at US Embassy against alleged US interference in Thai politics

snoop1130

6 hours ago, mbenson said:

Folks are saying that Thailand is of little interest to the US anymore. Perhaps it is not as important economically. However, politically, I would think the US is VERY interested in limiting the influence of China in the region. Thailand is in China's pocket, obviously, but that could change... 

Does anyone else find it ironic that Communists have a very unfavorable view of royalty of any sort, yet the nationalist, royalist, Thai government loves them? Well, not that ironic actually. 

What do you mean "not as important economically". It is probably more important economically than in the past, as Thailand still holds a significant trade surplus over the United States.

However, it's not so much the economy as geopolitics which determines American interest in the region and particularly Thailand. Thailand is America's first ally in Asia and despite recent moves toward China, vital military, economic and geopolitical ties remain with the USA. Certainly Thailand remains a strong US ally, so when Cambodians and Laotians call the country an "American lapdog" they're not entirely wrong. 

19 hours ago, Excel said:

Don't think Thailand is of any use to the USA any more.  Long gone are the days when they milked the yanks for money so that they could build bases to bomb the commies in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia.  The reverse has happened now and the Thais are selling out to communist China at every opportunity. How the world changes.

I can assure you Thailand is of VERY important use to the USA. In particular, to prevent the expansion of Chinese influence in the region. 

Your anti-Chinese conspiracies don't hold any water. 

20 hours ago, internationalism said:

"the peoples" - what fake university degree do they hold?

Tell them not to send their kids to get those diplomas.

In this writing I see a hand of foreign ministry spokesman, who made exactly same grama mistake just a few days ago, when writing about thai soldiers disinfecting myanmar border from covid, after karen escapees crossed the border. His tweet below.

If indeed he is behind this action, many countries might see it as an offence

No mistake- they just forgot to put in "Republic"

How dare America lecture Thailand about democracy and human rights when Thailand clearly has neither and is more than happy with the situation!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

However, it's not so much the economy as geopolitics which determines American interest in the region and particularly Thailand. Thailand is America's first ally in Asia and despite recent moves toward China, vital military, economic and geopolitical ties remain with the USA. Certainly Thailand remains a strong US ally, so when Cambodians and Laotians call the country an "American lapdog" they're not entirely wrong.

Ever seen a Thai protest at the Chinese embassy?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Excel said:

You mean this one on 6th August 2015 ?

Baramee Chairat, board member of Amnesty International Thailand, pretends to file a complaint in front of the Chinese embassy on Ratchadaphisek Road Thursday morning. (Photo by Achara Ashayagachat)

A protest about the treatment of Chinese in China. Nothing about the Chinese government pulling the strings in Thailand. I still remember when an immigration officer slapped a Chinese man at the airport. It made news throughout Thailand and China. The Thai government apologized to China and had special greeters show up when the Chinese landed. Why? Because the Chinese protect their nationals as if they are an extension of Chinese sovereignty. Thailand will not dare to interfere. Just as this pitiful Panda protest aimed at helping Chinese, not challenging China's dominance over Thailand, had no effect then or now. Are these protest groups even still in business?

• Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Have they been smoking some illegal mind altering substance or do they have proof of the CIA's involvement.  Good god conspiracy theorists are all over the place.

The CIA are Boy Scouts who help little old Thai ladies cross busy road.  God Bless America.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I can assure you Thailand is of VERY important use to the USA. In particular, to prevent the expansion of Chinese influence in the region. 

Your anti-Chinese conspiracies don't hold any water. 

Maybe, maybe not. The resistance against the Chinese has changed, It is no longer air-based, which made Thailand valuable, but sea-based which makes the Philippines much more so.

I don't know about anti-Chinese conspiracies, but I know a bit about how Thailand is supported and by whom and why.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

What do you mean "not as important economically". It is probably more important economically than in the past, as Thailand still holds a significant trade surplus over the United States.

Isn't that what I said? In addition, I said that folks are saying the Thailand is not important economically to the US, I didn't say it. I think the economic importance may be waning somewhat but it is not unimportant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Good gosh.  Nothing better to do than rant?  10's of millions of deaths?  You'll have to provide a credible link that proves this.  Otherwise....

Hmmm....don't see the US listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_under_communist_regimes

Some historians attempt to make separate estimates for different periods of Soviet history, with casualty estimates varying widely from 6 million (for the Stalinist period)[75] to 8.1 million (for a period ending in 1937)[76] to 20 million[52][bd] to 61 million (for the period 1917–1987).[77]

The Chinese Communist Party came to power in China in 1949 after a long and bloody civil war between communists and nationalists. There is a general consensus among historians that after Mao Zedong seized power, his policies and political purges directly or indirectly caused the deaths of tens of millions of people.

Question is simple: their own people or not? And, as mentioned, the thread is on the interference of the US in Thai domestic politics which triggered off demonstrations at the US embassy in Bangkok. 

If Thais complain about any domestic Thai issue - their right. It is like if Thais interfering US domestic issues and Americans demonstrate in front of the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. 

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Question is simple: their own people or not? And, as mentioned, the thread is on the interference of the US in Thai domestic politics which triggered off demonstrations at the US embassy in Bangkok. 

If Thais complain about any domestic Thai issue - their right. It is like if Thais interfering US domestic issues and Americans demonstrate in front of the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. 

Credible link, please.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, snoop1130 said:

Led by Mr. Nitithorn Lumlua and Pichit Chaimongkol, the “Peoples of Thailand” group handed a protest letter to an embassy official.

In Thaland, whenever a movement has "people" in its name, one can be sure it's anti-democratic, i.e. PAD, PDRC, etc....

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sydebolle said:

Bottomline is, the US has no interference rights in Thailand. I don't know if this accusations are true or not. If true - protests are justified; if not true then the protesters make fools of themselves. 

The 5 people protesting, which then gets a media write up, is yet another attempt to blame the Thai Student Protesters for a more democratic Thailand on ... the CIA, George Soros, Thaksin,  well -Fill In Blank-. Basically anything they can think up to discredit and get a gnat hairs amount of traction.

Interesting to note the fellow travelers on Thaivisa playing this game too. You have to think they are desperate to find something/anything to deflect from the students true motives. 

Edited by LomSak27

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Perhaps one of those many journalists surrounding the protestors could ask them for their views on Chinese interference and influence on Thailand.

Surely they would be furious about that as well.

Doubt it as many Thais are descendants of Chinese.  My wife is 25%.

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Doubt it as many Thais are descendants of Chinese.  My wife is 25%.

Almost all Thais are descendants of the Chinese.

Google Tai people (note the lack of an H) and where they came from.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Almost all Thais are descendants of the Chinese.

Google Tai people (note the lack of an H) and where they came from.

I read that of the past 25 PM's here, all were of Chinese descent.  Most 50%.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

I read that of the past 25 PM's here, all were of Chinese descent.  Most 50%.

I would not dispute that without further research however my point in my original post is that perceived influence/interference of the USA triggers a (very small) protest but the actions of China on a daily basis seem to be ignored.

• Like 2