Response to latest COVID-19 outbreak in Thailand

snoop1130

baf19c2b56da221165c8856e2a5d57a9_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - New clusters of COVID-19 infection have been linked to entertainment venues in many areas of Thailand. As a precaution, Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, has directed Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, to prepare resources for future outbreaks.

Deputy Minister of Public Health, Dr. Satit Pitutecha, has chaired a meeting of five networks to ensure proper preparations are made, with the Department of Medical Services assigned to manage the number of hospital beds in Bangkok and other areas of the country.

Currently, there are 28,147 hospital beds available for COVID-19 patients in public and private hospitals; some hotels are turning into temporary hospitals known as hospitels, and field hospitals have been constructed. More beds are being added, as the number COVID-19 patients may increase.

As of February 24, Thailand had 10,138 respirators. The country may order more respirators, depending on the situation.

As of April 16, Thailand had 1,657,232 N95 masks in reserve, and more orders have been placed. At the same time, the country had 94,281,550 medical masks and 544,141 personal protective equipment (PPE) suits.

In addition, Thailand is distributing the antiviral drug favipiravir to all areas of the country. As of April 16, the country had 341,200 favipiravir tablets in reserve, with a million more on order. The government also plans to order 1 million more tablets to meet the potential need.

Thailand has 270 COVID-19 testing laboratories, with each lab having the capacity to test around 81,000 samples a day.

Concerning treatment efficiency, the fatality rate of the COVID-19 outbreak in Samut Sakhon province was 0.1 percent, according to data released on February 24.

The current wave of COVID-19 is severe, with most clusters detected in entertainment venues. However, the situation is within the scope of remedial action taken by the government and the Ministry of Public Health. With proper preparation, the ministry is able to adapt to the changing circumstances rapidly, while maintaining effective disease-control measures to protect people’s lives.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-04-20

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Obviously the pandemic isn't a scam.

But frankly it now appears that (non migrant worker) foreigners are being exploited as cash cows. 

It's one thing choosing to go to a fancy private hospital for a procedure and freely paying a lot for that. But to be forced into medical incarceration with no or mild symptoms may be harsh but understandable, but to be financially exploited as part of that process, that is really quite horrible. 

Are any other countries doing this to foreigners? Specifically not only the forced medical incarceration but the unconscionable overcharging?

There is a solution to this problem: its called "medical insurance". 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Have you read the other thread suggesting that insurance companies are not covering no or mild symptom medical expenses? 

Easy-peasy. 

I went through all my Thai insurance articles. Nothing related or unrelated to COVID suggests they wont cover no or mild symptoms medical expenses. 

If I get infected and if they don't pay it. I'll have a lawyer send them a nice letter, they still won't pay it... Fine, see them in court. 

Have enough time to take them to court. Guess what? They won't be willing to go to court cuz they know they will lose. Worst case scenario all it takes is a letter from your lawyer. And I believe a reputable enough insurance won't even try to pull that one off.

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Have you read the other thread suggesting that insurance companies are not covering no or mild symptom medical expenses? 

It depends on the schedule of benefits for your policy. I encourage you to read it before purchasing your insurance. 

Right now, you are suggesting that people at risk from this "scam" are people with inadequate health insurance. 

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It depends on the schedule of benefits for your policy. I encourage you to read it before purchasing your insurance. 

Right now, you are suggesting that people at risk from this "scam" are people with inadequate health insurance. 

I didn't call it a scam.

Also even if you had insurance and it did pay, 100K for two weeks in a warehouse cot or cheap hotel without medical treatment is worth 100K baht? Come on, man!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so.

I don't think you're processing this.

Under current Thai policy, if you test positive for Covid 19 even with NO SYMPTOMS you are required to be put into one of their facilities. If you're a foreigner you're charged a lot for that. Maybe 100K baht. Does it really surprise you that some insurance say, no way are we paying for that. You weren't sick!

The reality is that foreigners are rarely tested for Covid-19 in Thailand. The exceptions are the few foreigners required to test when they go home, but, more often, foreigners who feel sick. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I didn't call it a scam.

Also even if you had insurance and it did pay, 100K for two weeks in a warehouse cot or cheap hotel without medical treatment is worth 100K baht? Come on, man!

If the insurance pays for your quarantine, I am not sure what you are complaining about. 

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The reality is that foreigners are rarely tested for Covid-19 in Thailand. The exceptions are the few foreigners required to test when they go home, but, more often, foreigners who feel sick. 

The virus is spreading now. Have you read the news? More foreigners will be impacted by this. Guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

What is even worse: if you test positive, you may develop symptoms and could even die, from this "scam". 

or you could end up in one of these super spreader environments that you were forced into even though you were not sick and contract another more deadly variant - Thailand should not be forcing people into these places if they are not sick, none of it makes any sense, if someone wants a test (Thai) and they don't have symptoms they are refusing to test them, the whole thing is a farce. 

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The labs seem to be testing between 5,000 and 15,000 people a day. Given the 1000+ positive results per day,  the implication is a very high positivity rate. 

The government response should be test a lot more. 

Totally agree, especially as going by figures reported of laboratory resources they can process 21 million samples a day??

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, smedly said:

or you could end up in one of these super spreader environments that you were forced into even though you were not sick and contract another more deadly variant - Thailand should not be forcing people into these places if they are not sick, none of it makes any sense, if someone wants a test (Thai) and they don't have symptoms they are refusing to test them, the whole thing is a farce. 

Hmmm... If you test positive for Covid-19, then you are not going to be infected by anyone else. 

I suspect you haven't thought this through. 

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Globally, about 2%.  If you are old and/or have a precondition, it's much, much higher. 

Nobody really knows.  Some countries are not reporting numbers at all.  Many, including the US, say their numbers are under reported by a lot.  And now, India....hmmm....

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/20/india/india-covid-deaths-cremation-intl-hnk/index.html

Non-stop cremations cast doubt on India's counting of Covid dead

• Like 1