English test for FLR

I echo everything 7by7 has said. My Thai wife did B1 English for ILR and it is very easy. She also, to my surprise, passed Life In The UK Test, got ILR and is now a UK citizen with passport. The LITUK test is not easy but well worth some effort and coaching on your part to pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

What is the min level for English proficiency in order to get a citizenship in UK?

The minimum requirement for citizenships is the same as that for ILR.

That is at least B1 in speaking and listening from an approved provider or a recognised degree taught or researched in English. Unless exempt through age, disability or being a national of one of the listed Anglophone countries.

All applicants except those exempt through age or disability must also pass the LitUK test

The qualifications used for ILR can be used again for citizenship; even if the pass certificate has expired or the provider is no longer on the approved list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

The minimum requirement for citizenships is the same as that for ILR.

That is at least B1 in speaking and listening from an approved provider or a recognised degree taught or researched in English. Unless exempt through age, disability or being a national of one of the listed Anglophone countries.

All applicants except those exempt through age or disability must also pass the LitUK test

The qualifications used for ILR can be used again for citizenship; even if the pass certificate has expired or the provider is no longer on the approved list.

B1 is low intermediate English. The same as primary school Thai.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

B1 is low intermediate English. The same as primary school Thai.

As can be seen from the table you, yourself, posted earlier; yes, B1 is the lowest intermediate level.

However, as can be seen from this table, it is higher than primary school level.

Having said that, B1 should be easily achievable for someone living in the UK provided they have help and use English whenever possible; even when talking to their British partner. From my and others' experience, I would say that professional lessons are often not necessary. Especially as the candidate will have some English ability otherwise they would not have been granted their initial visa, which requires A1, nor their FLR, which requires A2. 

Different for the LitUK test as English reading is required for the study materials and the test itself. Not too difficult if you come from a country which uses the Latin alphabet; but for those who don't, such as Thais, learning a new alphabet obviously makes it more difficult.

There are many courses available which teach the skills and knowledge required for the LitUK test, ranging from in a classroom with others to online at home. But fees for these are usually £200 plus.

The B1 test is not at all difficult and only lasts for 10 minutes. My wife missed out A2 completely for FLR and went straight from A1 to B1. LITUK is an entirely different beast. There are a number of free sample test websites. The one my wife used even has audio which you can also use in the test so the alphabet issue can be got round. LITUK does, however, require some serious practice.