PM insists 61 million doses of COVID vaccines this year should be enough for Thailand

webfact

line-for-COVID-19-vaccines-.jpg

(Photo by JOEL SAGET / AFP)

Thailand will have procured up to 61 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines by the end of this year, which should be sufficient to cope with the pandemic, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha today (Tuesday), as he revealed the timeline for vaccine procurements.

317,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine from China were received in February, 800,000 doses in March and a million doses in April, with another batch of a million doses scheduled for delivery in May.

Negotiations also are under way for more Sinovac vaccine, which are yet to be approved by Chinese government, said the prime minister. Between 4 and 6 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, to be produced locally by Siam Bioscience, are to be delivered in June, he said, and the amount will increase throughout the rest of the year, until 61 million doses will have procured.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-insists-61-million-doses-of-covid-vaccines-this-year-should-be-enough-for-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, brommers said:

How long can he keep up this pretence. We hear waffle about achieving herd immunity but because of the variants this unproven conept now is deemed to require 80% coverage of the population and yet he is shooting for 50%. What he thinks is enough is irrelevant, the Thai tourism industry will only start to recover when foriegn governments allow their citizens to travel here and when those self same citizens feel it is safe to come here. And with such a low level of vaccination Thailand will not get onto travel listings that indicate this country is a safe destination.

How long ? As long as he is told to do.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, starky said:

Population of Thailand is what again? And what is the recommended coverage to get near herd immunity? 70%, 80% more?  Hmmmmm.

I think around 70MM.  80% would be 56MM.  So shouldn't be enough.  Though even getting to 80% could be difficult.  We'll see....

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Glad you feel so confident with your statement . My local government hospital has 40 beds we have already got 7 Covid patients in the past week until SONGKRAN we had been virus free from the start . It is my understanding that these 7 patients all came from Bangkok wait until next week when the hospitals throughout the Kingdom will be unable to cope especially with the lack of ventilators 

Not sure I'd say confident.  Just repeating what the scientists have said.  For me?  I'd prefer the Pfizer or Moderna jab.  If not them, then the AZ jab.

In the end, we'll need boosters every year or so for a long time to come as this virus mutates.  Like the Spanish Flu, CV19 will be with us for the rest of our lives.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will have procured up to 61 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines by the end of this year, which should be sufficient to cope with the pandemic, said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha today (Tuesday), as he revealed the timeline for vaccine procurements.

61 million doses for 30 million people, not even 50% of the population...

he calls himself a prime minister.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

June, July....sure wish they could get this date right.

NNT (the government official news service) yesterday said May.

I smell a misinformation strategy to keep the natives calm.

All part of the same plan that put vaccine production with SB, where nothing can be questioned and there is no transparency due to ‘higher powers’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Doses for less than half the population is not enough to cope with the pandemic, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

It maybe. Alot of people here are asymptomatic. If the right 50% are vaccinated first. 

Somchai in Nakorn nowhere doesn't need to be vaccinated first.

Good luck with that; the government's speed on this issue is ensuring, that the Thai economy and the wellbeing of the Thai people definitely will go down the pan. 

Earliest opening of the country will be in a year's time - too late for the large majority of the people of the land of the free ........ is an encore of the French revolution around the corner anytime soon? Asking for a friend ........ 

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Important word in that statement is procured ! Not delivered, and not in the arms of people.

Honestly cannot see Thailand opening this year with these people currently in charge of vaccine purchase and roll out

I agree. I think Thailand opening up in 2021 belongs only in the fantasy land of TAT.

5 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Sure. This is enough for 30 million people only. But it is sufficient for him to cope, because he got his shot already, and other people don't play a role in his mind. Those who don't get a shot and become sick are just collateral damage of his brain-dead policies.

And 30.5 Million Vaccinated Citizens will not achieve Herd Immunity.

This amount of Vaccination is only roughly 40 % or so of the population ( not including Migrant workers and other contract workers Etc )

I guess he missed out on Math Lessons at School.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Everything in Thailand seems to start with the pre-fix "short"

Short term, short-time, short sightedness, short supply etc etc

• Haha 1