Chauvin Guilty....

16 minutes ago, Poet said:

Guilty verdicts on all three counts was the only way the non-sequestered jurors could avoid their city being torn apart, but this is just kicking the can down the road. The two higher counts are almost certain to be reversed on appeal and the riots will happen then anyway.

The jury was sequestered..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Doesn't the Judge have to declare a mistrial before the jury has rendered a verdict?

Yes, although there are cases where the judge has "set aside" a verdict rendered by a jury.  This judge is not going to declare a mistrial, nor is a court of appeals based on Maxine Waters' comments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

If the dead man had done what they police told him to and stayed in the car there would have been no trial, appeals will go on for years.

The appeals may indeed take place..

Meanwhile, Chauvin will be wearing an inmate's uniform, not a police uniform..

Pour encourager les autres..

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Wrong! The jury never heard waters remarks . Judge Cahll talking BS

Her remarks were made on Saturday and instantly dominated the headlines. How would the jury not have heard about them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Fantastic.  Time to reform the police.  they've literally been getting away with murder for too long.  They need to be held accountable.  Over 200 Americans have been killed by police this year already.

I'm all for a strong police force.  But if they break protocols and kill someone, they need to be held accountable.

In the end, the each availability of guns is one of the biggest problems in the US today. 

Too many police officers, like our local deep-tinted window Benz drivers, suffer from a sense of impunity..

Somewhat lost in the background noise of this case is the fact that this sense of impunity arises from the War on Drugs.. Police see themselves as warriors dealing with insurgents as they aggressively patrol the "hot zones" of communities of colour..

Time for POTUS to abandon his outdated, out of touch with current bi-partisan support for drug law reform, attitudes..

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbin said:

Somewhat lost in the background noise of this case is the fact that this sense of impunity arises from the War on Drugs.. Police see themselves as warriors dealing with insurgents as they aggressively patrol the "hot zones" of communities of colour..

Yes, but from where did the militarization of police spring?  Why do so many cops look like an occupying force rather than the neighborhood cop?  My opinion is that to some extent these developments are blowback from the US military aggression over the past decades.  Quick quiz: which country since 1975 killed up to a million citizens of a foreign country every single one of whom was quite innocent of the alleged crimes used to justify the murder?  Hint: it's not Russia or China.  Second hint: is there any other country that has announced a program of "permanent war?"

One direct result is that we see a lot more ex-military in the ranks of the police and even in Congress than used to be the case, including ex-CIA in Congress which never used to happen.  So, the military perspective tends to take over.   

I understand in Tokyo, which has a low crime rate, a policeman enters every commercial establishment every day.  How about that as an alternate mode of policing, for one?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/19/politics/judge-derek-chauvin-maxine-waters-mistrial-appeal/index.html

Judge in Derek Chauvin trial says Rep. Maxine Waters' comments may be grounds for appeal

The defense is going to appeal no matter what so curb your enthusiasm. The chances of these verdicts being overturned are slim.

• Like 2

The BBC has a video titled "watch Chauvin's reaction to verdicts..

If you have only seen photos of him listening to the verdict, Google the video..

His eyes literally don't stop rolling and darting around the courtroom the entire time it took to hear all 3 verdicts. Never seen anything like it..

One can only imagine the inner dialogue..

But at least he's here to have an inner dialogue..

11 minutes ago, bobbin said:

The BBC has a video titled "watch Chauvin's reaction to verdicts..

If you have only seen photos of him listening to the verdict, Google the video..

His eyes literally don't stop rolling and darting around the courtroom the entire time it took to hear all 3 verdicts. Never seen anything like it..

One can only imagine the inner dialogue..

But at least he's here to have an inner dialogue..

The man is cold. He's also a convicted murderer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wonder how many cops are going to shift over to being firemen? Less chance of going to prison for doing your job.

Hmmmhh, to smother a fire may not give the same "satisfaction" as smothering innocent black citizens.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Yes, but from where did the militarization of police spring?  Why do so many cops look like an occupying force rather than the neighborhood cop?  My opinion is that to some extent these developments are blowback from the US military aggression over the past decades.  Quick quiz: which country since 1975 killed up to a million citizens of a foreign country every single one of whom was quite innocent of the alleged crimes used to justify the murder?  Hint: it's not Russia or China.  Second hint: is there any other country that has announced a program of "permanent war?"

One direct result is that we see a lot more ex-military in the ranks of the police and even in Congress than used to be the case, including ex-CIA in Congress which never used to happen.  So, the military perspective tends to take over.   

I understand in Tokyo, which has a low crime rate, a policeman enters every commercial establishment every day.  How about that as an alternate mode of policing, for one?

TBH, the police in the US scare me.  They are armed to the hilt, body armor, and not very nice.  I've had run in's with the police in many different countries.  Not that I did anything wrong.  Sometimes, just in the wrong place at the wrong time and a witness.

They're like an occupying force that thinks they can literally get away with murder.  And sometimes, they do.  Luckily, not this time.  Reform is desperately needed, along with more restrictions on guns.

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Fantastic.  Time to reform the police.  they've literally been getting away with murder for too long.  They need to be held accountable.  Over 200 Americans have been killed by police this year already.

I'm all for a strong police force.  But if they break protocols and kill someone, they need to be held accountable.

In the end, the each availability of guns is one of the biggest problems in the US today. 

guns are an issue but in the end, imo, it's peoples attitudes, prejudices and their lack of a quality education is the real problem..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wonder how many cops are going to shift over to being firemen? Less chance of going to prison for doing your job.

You beat me to it. After this how many white cops are going to go into black areas to deal with criminals? Unintended consequences are a <deleted>. If I were a cop in the USA now I'd either refuse to go into black areas or if that was not possible to not use physical force in an arrest of a black man, so if they didn't willingly submit they'd be walking away. The people going to suffer from this, IMO, are the black communities that will see a lot less effective policing.

After the verdict I didn't see a single cop being asked what they thought of it.

Never mind, all those social workers they are going to recruit will do a great job preventing crime, I'm sure.

• Like 1