Chauvin Guilty....

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps it doesn't pay well enough

To deal with hard criminals, hard cops are needed. Get rid of the hard cops and the bad men will have won.

In Australia it pays very well.

You are correct but the converse is also true. Floyd was harshly dealt with over profering a fake $20 note which should have been dealt with on summons. DV complaints should be dealt with initially by social workers or cops with strong social work training.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps it doesn't pay well enough ( and I never heard that cops got paid well for what they do ) to make the cops of the future join up, given the chaos currently in progress re defunding and changes in immunity etc. I'll be following the recruitment levels with interest over the next few months.

To deal with hard criminals, hard cops are needed. Get rid of the hard cops and the bad men will have won.

I was going to join the cops, but after some guy walked into a police station and shot the cop on the counter to death I changed my mind . No amount of pay makes it worth being killed for doing a job.

I'd say this is pretty good pay.  And don't forget the medical and retirement benefits.  Which are fantastic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2020/04/23/police-officer-salary-state/?sh=3b27cada2010

Below is a list of the top-10 highest-paying states for police officers:

1. California average police officer salary: $105,220
  2. Alaska average police officer salary: $87,870
  3. New Jersey average police officer salary: $86,840
  4. Washington average police officer salary: $80,200
  5. Hawaii average police officer salary: $78,720
  6. Illinois average police officer salary: $78,350
  7. New York average police officer salary: $77,490
  8. Colorado average police officer salary: $75,720
  9. Delaware average police officer salary: $73,740
  10. Nevada average police officer salary: $73,660
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

In Australia it pays very well.

You are correct but the converse is also true. Floyd was harshly dealt with over profering a fake $20 note which should have been dealt with on summons. DV complaints should be dealt with initially by social workers or cops with strong social work training.

He wasn't harshly dealt with over profering ( sic ) a fake $20 note. He was harshly dealt with for resisting arrest and being violent.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-data/2019/06/21/arizona-police-officers-firefighters-earn-most-overtime-state-staff-employees/1456489001/

Police, firefighters earn most overtime among public employees, at times doubling salaries

https://www.ktvu.com/news/oakland-police-average-30-million-a-year-in-overtime-one-officer-racked-up-nearly-2-5m-in-5-years

Robert Fellner from Transparent California pointed out that's how police officer Malcolm Miller has been able to accrue $2.45 million in pay, benefits — and about $900,000 in overtime —  in 2017-2018. 

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He wasn't harshly dealt with over profering ( sic ) a fake $20 note. He was harshly dealt with for resisting arrest and being violent.

Not he wasn't. He was pulled out of the back of a police car while already handcuffed. What was the need for that?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/video-george-floyd-contradict-resist-trnd/index.html

Surveillance video does not support police claims that George Floyd resisted arrest

But surveillance footage from the nearby Dragon Wok restaurant shows the first point of contact between Floyd and officers. While there are several minutes where Floyd's interactions cannot be seen from the camera's vantage point, the footage does not appear to support the assertion that Floyd resisted arrest.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

You didn't see negligence causing death? That was the charge.

No. If I was on the jury I would have voted no on both murder charges due to reasonable doubt. IMO it was manslaughter.

I say that based on the FACT he was saying over and over while sitting in the car that he couldn't breath, despite having no restraint other than hand cuffs. There was no physical pressure applied to his neck or chest- that's all on the VDO.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

No. If I was on the jury I would have voted no on both murder charges due to reasonable doubt. IMO it was manslaughter.

I say that based on the FACT he was saying over and over while sitting in the car that he couldn't breath, despite having no restraint other than hand cuffs. There was no physical pressure applied to his neck or chest- that's all on the VDO.

That wasn't the testimony of an expert pulmonologist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/minneapolis-police-george-floyd-death/index.html

How Minneapolis Police first described the murder of George Floyd, and what we know now

"Man Dies After Medical Incident During Police Interaction."

That was the headline of a Minneapolis Police press release on May 25, 2020, in the hours after an unnamed man in his 40s died. Absent from the nearly 200-word post is any mention of officers restraining him on the ground, a knee on his neck, or any sense of how long this "interaction" lasted.

Thanks to video from a 17-year-old bystander, we now know what really happened: Former police officer Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, by using excessive and unreasonable force when he kneeled on Floyd's neck and back for 9 minutes and 29 seconds. Chauvin was convicted Tuesday on two counts of murder and a count of manslaughter in a Minnesota criminal court.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/video-george-floyd-contradict-resist-trnd/index.html

Surveillance video does not support police claims that George Floyd resisted arrest

But surveillance footage from the nearby Dragon Wok restaurant shows the first point of contact between Floyd and officers. While there are several minutes where Floyd's interactions cannot be seen from the camera's vantage point, the footage does not appear to support the assertion that Floyd resisted arrest.

You must have watched a different VDO. I saw him resisting being put in the police car.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You must have watched a different VDO. I saw him resisting being put in the police car.

While he was in handcuffs.  Wow.  Tough police can't deal with a guy in handcuffs.  Stunning.  So, they killed him. 

Come on...you can't really support their actions...impossible to do.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/08/872470076/the-fraternal-order-of-police-a-union-that-stands-in-the-way-of-police-reforms

The Fraternal Order Of Police: A Union That Stands In The Way Of Police Reforms

Activists have spent years pushing for changes in policing. And now the Minneapolis City Council says it plans to dismantle the police force and replace it with another public safety model. One big stakeholder in these debates around the country is the Fraternal Order of Police. Former prosecutor Paul Butler argues that it stands in the way of change. He's the author of "Chokehold: Policing Black Men" and is a law professor at Georgetown University.

You've got to dig to find the truth. See how defunding the police has worked in Minn.

https://elmoudjaweb.com/how-defunding-the-police-backfired-in-minneapolis-the-city-which-sparked-george-floyd-protests-across-the-world-jaweb/

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Excellent link.

More than 100 police officers left the force last year – double the usual number – and dozens more are on leave with post-traumatic stress from the violent unrest that rocked the city after Mr Floyd’s death.

As I was saying! Expect similar in other areas as the "new" restrictions against police take hold.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Not he wasn't. He was pulled out of the back of a police car while already handcuffed. What was the need for that?

From what I read he was thrashing around banging his head around in the back seat, he was taken out to be better restrained. You're right, they should have just shut the doors and let floyd beat his head against hard surfaces. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you saying that that expert claimed his breathing was being physically restricted despite just sitting in a car without any cop arms/ hands/ knees on him?

No, I'm saying that the expert witness testified that Floyd died of being asphyxiated as a result of the knee on his neck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You've got to dig to find the truth there.  It's not defunding, it's reforming.  Creating a new police force after dismantling the highly dysfunctional one now.  Even the DOJ is doing an investigation into this organization for improper procedures.

What kind of website is that???  Too funny....

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You've got to dig to find the truth there.  It's not defunding, it's reforming.  Creating a new police force after dismantling the highly dysfunctional one now.  Even the DOJ is doing an investigation into this organization for improper procedures.

The so-called autonomous zone was initially supported by Minneapolis’ progressive city council. Last June a majority of councillors vowed to dismantle the city’s police department and later cut $8 million from its budget, in a knee-jerk reaction to protests over Mr Floyd’s death.

More than 100 police officers left the force last year – double the usual number – and dozens more are on leave with post-traumatic stress from the violent unrest that rocked the city after Mr Floyd’s death.

Sorry the truth doesn't fit into your little box. 

• Like 1

Watch this and tell me what the cops did was right.  Impossible.  4 cops for a guy passing a fake note.  Talk about a police state.  Tough times in the US if you're a black man.

It could have been handled differently.  And no one would have died, no cops fired, no protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007159353/george-floyd-arrest-death-video.html

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

They like to seize on misleading buzz words rather than debating what is actually proposed or happening.

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

The so-called autonomous zone was initially supported by Minneapolis’ progressive city council. Last June a majority of councillors vowed to dismantle the city’s police department and later cut $8 million from its budget, in a knee-jerk reaction to protests over Mr Floyd’s death.

Sorry the truth doesn't fit into your little box. 

Perhaps with such a dysfunctional police force, this is a good thing.  This has been a problem there for a long time.  You are aware of this truth, aren't you?

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/6/11/the-minneapolis-police-department-has-a-long-history-of-brutality

The Minneapolis police department has a long history of brutality

I know because as a local reporter I covered it for five years and discovered the lengths it would go to to conceal it.

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Watch this and tell me what the cops did was right.  Impossible.  4 cops for a guy passing a fake note.  Talk about a police state.  Tough times in the US if you're a black man.

It could have been handled differently.  And no one would have died, no cops fired, no protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007159353/george-floyd-arrest-death-video.html

If floyd had followed instructions he'd be sitting at home doing his favorite drugs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1