SIM card for GPS tracker

leola74

I'm planning to get a GPS tracker for my car, so I can locate it at anytime (when I lend it out).  These trackers require a SIM card in order to send the location info to my phone.  I wonder what is the most economical SIM card and data package for this?  I don't know how much data the tracker generates/sends per month.  I don't really care which provider (AIS/True/...) it is, they all have good coverage in my area.

Anyone with experience in this matter, please let me know!

Thanks.

DTAC also have an unlimited 4 Mbps 12 month option for 1250 baht.

BUT, dependent on the kind of tracker you intend to utilise; the cheapest option may be to not have any kind of package at all.

If, for instance, you are using as little as 1 MB per day and the SIM default price is 1 baht per MB; that is still only 30 baht per month.

So do some research into your possible data usage if you want the cheapest option.

Checking on where your partner goes?

This is helpful, thanks.  I'm not sure how much data the tracker actually uses, I would think it depends on how often you query the current position of the car.  From what I've read online, 1-10 Mb per month appears a good estimate.  I'll go to the local AIS or DTAC shop and see what they recommend.

I use an AIS Sim card in my tracker. Doesn't use constant tracking but location by SMS text so no data needed. I simply ping an SMS to the tracker and it responds with a Google Maps link showing the current location. 3 Baht per SMS ping. Only thing to do is to keep the SIM active by topping up at least 20 Baht per month. I buy the trackers off eBay in the UK for my business at £12 and brought one to Thailand for my motorcycle. The size is about same as a basic Nokia phone but slimmer. See here.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I use an AIS Sim card in my tracker. Doesn't use constant tracking but location by SMS text so no data needed. I simply ping an SMS to the tracker and it responds with a Google Maps link showing the current location. 3 Baht per SMS ping. Only thing to do is to keep the SIM active by topping up at least 20 Baht per month. I buy the trackers off eBay in the UK for my business at £12 and brought one to Thailand for my motorcycle. The size is about same as a basic Nokia phone but slimmer. See here.

You can top up at a cost of 12 baht per month if you have a Boontherm device near you. Just stack up a year in advance.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You can top up at a cost of 12 baht per month if you have a Boontherm device near you. Just stack up a year in advance.

You don't actually need to have change. The Boontherm device will store any remainder against your number; so if you go to another Boontherm machine and enter your number; it will remember your number and apply the credit towards your next top up. So you can put a 100 baht note in the machine and just do continued 10 baht(12 baht) top ups until you have 4 baht left in change. 4 baht will stay in your Boontherm vault until you top up again on the same number. Then it will be deducted from the next top up cost.

• Like 1

I've now ordered this: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1664010854-s4643318654.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

It comes with a True Move H sim-card, the terms of which I don't know yet, but hopefully the offered package is sensible for the purpose.

I've read online that these trackers generate 1-10 Mb of data per month (I suppose you can set in the app at what intervals you want to receive the location).  

Let's see ...

7 hours ago, leola74 said:

I've now ordered this: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1664010854-s4643318654.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

It comes with a True Move H sim-card, the terms of which I don't know yet, but hopefully the offered package is sensible for the purpose.

I've read online that these trackers generate 1-10 Mb of data per month (I suppose you can set in the app at what intervals you want to receive the location).  

Let's see ...

Let us know how it goes, personally If i had one I'd want to see its timeline similar to a phones googlemaps timeline