Need louder horn on Honda Wave

Hello all, 

As I'm living in BKK, the most efficient way of getting around is by motorcycle. I've got a Honda Wave myself, although it's perhaps more similar to a moped. 

Anyways, I'm getting sick of near death experiences in traffic. Most car / bus / taxi / motorcycle drivers don't seem to care about anyone, nor about safety (I j ow, it took me 2 years to figure this out ????). The horn of my motorcycle isn't loud enough to be of any use and it would at least be a little safer for me to have a louder horn. 

I'm thinking of replacing it by a bus, truck or air horn but I'm not even sure it's possible. Does anyone have experience with this or knows a shop who can help me installing such a horn? 

I like the horns in these videos ????:

Edited by Michaeldegraaf

Not too much help to you, but I did have my Honda Wave horn replaced with a louder one at a Honda dealer in Chiang Mai, but it's not an air horn.  I also had a fairly loud turn signal beeper installed.   They knew exactly what I wanted and why and keep both items in stock.

I also ride short distances in Bangkok.  It's crazy out there!  

Edited by ricklev

Make sure you buy a horn suited your battery and placed on a fuse that is suitable, or upgrade with another battery and a own fuse box as well. Im sure some here know this better than me, and can give you an better explanation. 

Had a friend where the bike stopped every time he used the new horn because of a burnt fuse. Took awhile and checking before they figured that out as well. 

Getting near death experiences in traffic!! WOW man that must be hard on you.

I hardly get one a year using: truck, scooter & big bike.

Some are not coping well driving/riding in LOS. Spoke to a US guy at a car repair shop and he told me that he hated driving his car here. The trick is to blend in. 

Love riding here but you have to be aware of what's going on 360 deg around you at all times.

Getting a big truck horn will not do you any good but a slightly louder one is okay if used sparingly.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Everybody is proud of what a good rider they are.  And then they get hit from behind or broadsided by a moron or knocked over in a million other ways.  Won't happen to me they say because I pay attention!

I use my horn as a precaution and not in anger a lot and have for 20 years in Thailand.  Never once had an angry altercation.  Screw politeneness.  Here I am! is what I want everyone to know when they are considering a dangerous maneauver that potentially threatens my safety and that is everyday pretty much.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't think you need a louder horn, I've used mine once in 3 years, reassess your riding

I rode 200+kms each way once a week for a year in Indonesia. At least one pair of gloves had a hole in the thumb where the horn button wore through. One of the scariest rides was on the last 100kms when the horn stopped working. 

The horn simply says here I am. As we know Thais, and now you know Indonesians, pull out of side roads without looking. 

• Like 2

Any shop that services bikes and sells parts can set you up with a louder horn. Horns are meant to say “I am here!”, not to try and scare or push people out of your way. Having said that, when I need someone to know I am here and they appear to be clueless otherwise, I need a good loud horn!

Honda fitted classy euro-sounding Accord horns on my CR-V, which sounded about the same as a wave, or maybe a Jazz, originally.

I put twin Denso horns on my pickup, which also had a wave-sounding ‘beep’ horn. There is no confusion as to whether an eco-car or a full size pick up is beeping.

My big bike has twin chrome horns which have a great harmonic, especially useful for greeting friends and onlookers as I cruise by. The exhaust takes care of the “I am here” duties, and it passes annual inspections.

My Wave has a stock horn and a side car, and if I need to convey any message, it would be “Wait for me!”, which a double or triple beep takes care of.

My driving style is relaxed most of the time and I don’t need to use horns very often.

btw- Vietnam drivers use horns constantly, and Indonesians use them frequently. The message is as above, “ I am here!”.

Drive safe!

18 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

In Thailand, using the horn is deemed unpolite and insulting and increases you chance of being shot at / driven over / decapitated ON PURPOSE instead of accidentally. 

So just make sure you don't use your horn - or is that something you don't have. ????

Bit like Bangers, eh mate?????

1 hour ago, faraday said:

So just make sure you don't use your horn - or is that something you don't have. ????

Bit like Bangers, eh mate?????

Seems that I hit a nerve with you, right? ???????????? 

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The horn simply says here I am. As we know Thais, and now you know Indonesians, pull out of side roads without looking. 

Foreigner driving round the moat in ChiangMai used his horn, the Thai driver stopped, got out, shot him dead, then drove on.

The shooter was never caught .......... beware of using your horn in Thailand, it may kill you.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Getting near death experiences in traffic!! WOW man that must be hard on you.

I hardly get one a year using: truck, scooter & big bike.

Some are not coping well driving/riding in LOS. Spoke to a US guy at a car repair shop and he told me that he hated driving his car here. The trick is to blend in. 

Love riding here but you have to be aware of what's going on 360 deg around you at all times.

Getting a big truck horn will not do you any good but a slightly louder one is okay if used sparingly.

I aggree with you when it comes to being aware whats around you, cope with the traffic, and so on, and realize that thailand have a <deleted>ty driving culture, but, coming here and say you never have someone coming at you once and awhile you do a shorter or longer drive, is utterly ..........

or you just got so used to it that it is what it is, or you really do not understand you where close. 

As you say, always expect someone coming at you anytime, and they do no matter how good driver you are.