Huge water monitor lizard surprises swimmers at Thai beach

webfact

wm.jpg

video screenshot

People at a beach in Thailand were shocked by the appearance of a 5 foot water monitor lizard which entered the water and casually swam beside them.

The appearance of the lizard on Koh Hong island in Krabi was caught on video.

And it’s apparently not the first the lizard has swam alongside humans.

Local park officials say the male lizard is known to them and often visits the beach to feed on scraps of food.

Officials said that while a degree of caution should be exercised when close to any wild animal, this particular lizard is generally friendly and poses little risk to beachgoers.

This is the second time in as many weeks where an encounter with a monitor lizard has made the news in Thailand.

Earlier this month, a remarkable video which went viral on social media, showed a monitor lizard causing havoc inside a 7-Eleven store.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-21

4 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

'Huge' = 5 feet.

I must remember that for future comparisons. 

I am 5 feet and 8 inches tall so I am really huge. My smugness will last all day.

They were discussing it being 5 feet long, like a trouser snake not your height....????

6 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Unlike the trouser snake, water monitors often grow to 5ft and quite a lot more.

So he is the small John "Water Monitor" Holmes then, nice to know he was reincarnated.  They have some seriously big ones at Lumpini park.  We run into them when we run on the inner trails with the large lake surrounding the island.

• 2 weeks later...