Car repainting question

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why didn't you take it to a professional shop to start with?

53 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

This is how a cheap full body respray was done on the wife's Volvo. At the insistence of the insurance company?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

What is it you are asking  and or telling me? 

Why would someone take an insurance claim to an unprofessional shop that (apparently) did not even have a spray booth?

Why would someone that had an insurance repair botched as badly as the insured claims be accepted by the insured? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

This is how a cheap full body respray was done on the wife's Volvo. At the insistence of the insurance company?

I have no idea. It appears that after six years no claims the wife was due a refund or could get the car repainted. She chose the repaint thinking the car would look like new. My wife can not tell the difference between a good job and a bad job. In fact she thought the car looked OK.

The point of my post was to point out the bodges that a cheap paint job entails and what  to look out for. And yes we know it was a scam between the paint shop and the insurance company.

• Confused 1

Quality paint jobs are expensive. This comes down to the preparation required to ensure body panels are straight, gaps between panels are uniform, trim and door handles and everything that can be removed is removed.

Not many people want to pay for this quality, which is why you see so many sub standard jobs around. Factory paint jobs can be terrible - orange peel, runs, etc.

In Canada costs are at a minimum $5000 - if no body work required.

Black cars run at least 50% higher due to the fact that it must be dead straight or it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Show car quality - $15,000 and up

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

It appears that after six years no claims the wife was due a refund or could get the car repainted.

What?   Which insurance company was that and since when do insurers provide refunds, not a no claims bonus, after a period of no claims?   Why would an insurer that, presumably, has never seen the car due to no claims ever being made, offer the insured a repaint?   

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, AlQaholic said:

The 2nd hand dealer will make an offer based on the condition of the car. If repainting is needed, of course the offer will be lower, reflecting the fact they will have to spend money repainting. The lower offer because of poor paint will probably be more than the money you spend on painting. They will then spend far less on actually painting, doing a <deleted> job just to be able to sell, nobody buys a car with paint problems, given there are so many second hand cars to choose amongst. The 2nd hand dealer always give a terrible offer anyways. A Ford that is 11 years old will be worth almost nothing.

I would repaint and try to find a private buyer, however, that is pretty difficult.

yep, this might be better.. to sell someone else

19 hours ago, DavisH said:

Note that if only some panels are repainted, it will be noticeable if the paint is not a perfect match the the original. I have th wife's swift fulyl repainted several years ago due to many scratches. Since then, we had a door and a bumper repainted. But are the same blue colour but you can tell in some angles its been repainted. You can tell that on many cars passing by that one door is different to the rest of the car. 

If the car looks good it will be easier to sell, than it it looks rubbish. But the selling price won't change much. We got 230K for our hond civic 2004 model 2 years ago. Easy to sell as everying was in good condition. 

yes i know what your saying. Thats why i chose this shop, someone i know suggested it and i checked his car. They painted it 4 years ago its black color but really looks like new and good job.

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why didn't you take it to a professional shop to start with?

well... ford told me it will cost me $3000   another really famous shop in BKK told me 2700

on the other hand i have this shop recommended by my friend who painted his black color car there 4-5 yrs ago and i checked the car and it looks really good and new. So i took mine there and they told me 10K baht... well i have a good salary but not that good.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Quality paint jobs are expensive. This comes down to the preparation required to ensure body panels are straight, gaps between panels are uniform, trim and door handles and everything that can be removed is removed.

Not many people want to pay for this quality, which is why you see so many sub standard jobs around. Factory paint jobs can be terrible - orange peel, runs, etc.

In Canada costs are at a minimum $5000 - if no body work required.

Black cars run at least 50% higher due to the fact that it must be dead straight or it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Show car quality - $15,000 and up

ford Nonthaburi told me it will start from $3000 another big pro garage told me min 2500.. 

13 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

ford Nonthaburi told me it will start from $3000 another big pro garage told me min 2500.. 

Difference in wages between the two countries accounts for that.

Ford Nonthaburi has their own body and paint shop - or do they farm it out ?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Difference in wages between the two countries accounts for that.

Ford Nonthaburi has their own body and paint shop - or do they farm it out ?

not in there, i believe they re going to send it somewhere. This is my idea though because i didnt see anything looks like a paint room. But i must say it was a big place and couldnt see the backwards. But again i believe they will send it to somewhere because she told me i must leave the car min 15 days

They will take a cut if not doing the work themselves.

Always a good idea in these situations, in a foreign country, to contact car clubs or enthusiast groups posting on forums. Go to one of their meets / club night / etc. They are local guys and know everybody. And this info is priceless - especially with my pathetic Thai skills.

Could be a 'niche market' for a 'ratted' Ford Focus.

It's a 10 year old car and in Thailand that's a 'survivor' and some degradation is expected. Knowledgeable folks will know full well what happened to your vehicles. Many body-shops leave their marks.

You're contemplating adding 'lipstick to a pig', which can reverse your expectations.

UPDATE:

thanks to all guys for suggestions.

I have decided that to repaint it at a good shop and sell it to someone before i go to buy a new car in 2 years... Its clear that it wont go anyway without a paint. It really doesnt look good. I made a research at some ford club 2 days ago.. they told me its better if i paint it and sell it to someone else. I can get 350 - 370K which is enough for me to pay deposit of the new car.

thanks again

4 hours ago, problemfarang said:

UPDATE:

thanks to all guys for suggestions.

I have decided that to repaint it at a good shop and sell it to someone before i go to buy a new car in 2 years... Its clear that it wont go anyway without a paint. It really doesnt look good. I made a research at some ford club 2 days ago.. they told me its better if i paint it and sell it to someone else. I can get 350 - 370K which is enough for me to pay deposit of the new car.

thanks again

Good Luck, I suggest you currently look at what a Ford Focus sells for as this website would indicated that your propose pricing is unrealistic and unlikely to obtain unless your selling to a blind person

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/ford/focus?max_price=400000&min_price=300000

As other posters have alluded to, experienced car buyers may be suspicious of a full repaint, even sections touched up as it usually indicates some repaired damage.

Professional paint shops can paint smaller areas to OEM specs with no problem,  

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Good Luck, I suggest you currently look at what a Ford Focus sells for as this website would indicated that your propose pricing is unrealistic and unlikely to obtain unless your selling to a blind person

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/ford/focus?max_price=400000&min_price=300000

thanks for the link though im not sure if these prices are realistic because if you check carefully you can see cars like '2016 Ford Focus 2.0 (ปี 12-16) Sport+ Hatchback' 349K but '2014 Ford Focus 2.0 (ปี 12-16) Sport+ Hatchback' is 360K. if you go into car details.. all same.. so doesnt make sense. I saw many like this in 5 min. 

Edited by problemfarang

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

thanks for the link though im not sure if these prices are realistic because if you check carefully you can see cars like '2016 Ford Focus 2.0 (ปี 12-16) Sport+ Hatchback' 349K but '2014 Ford Focus 2.0 (ปี 12-16) Sport+ Hatchback' is 360K. if you go into car details.. all same.. so doesnt make sense. I saw many like this in 5 min. 

If you look closely the devil is in the detail, all dealers value cars initally by the manufacturing date, then condition of car,

mileage and potential resale value. there is a 2016 model with 2 different prices 369,000 and 349,000 however in one advert they include a car report which includes the 1st page of the blue book which shows the manufacturing date of 2014, the 2016 date is the date of 1st registration which no-one really takes any notice of as I have seen 2005 cars where the 1st registration date is 2021. There is also a 2013 model but when you check the manufacturing date is 2010

46 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If you look closely the devil is in the detail, all dealers value cars initally by the manufacturing date, then condition of car,

mileage and potential resale value. there is a 2016 model with 2 different prices 369,000 and 349,000 however in one advert they include a car report which includes the 1st page of the blue book which shows the manufacturing date of 2014, the 2016 date is the date of 1st registration which no-one really takes any notice of as I have seen 2005 cars where the 1st registration date is 2021. There is also a 2013 model but when you check the manufacturing date is 2010

hmm.. ok

and meanwhile i found out the true 2nd hand price of my car.. around 200 - 280K

Edited by problemfarang

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

hmm.. ok

and meanwhile i found out the true 2nd hand price of my car.. around 200 - 280K

I think you should look at the cost or a partial paint job, it should make your car sell quicker in 2 years time, will it increase the value of your car by a significant I doubt it not on a car that in 2 years time will be 13 years old

19 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I think you should look at the cost or a partial paint job, it should make your car sell quicker in 2 years time, will it increase the value of your car by a significant I doubt it not on a car that in 2 years time will be 13 years old

i will not paint the whole body. just spots where paint off. thanks

like i said this shop did a great job on friend's car 5 years ago and its still like a new. i close inspect the car where he painted. its really ok cant tell if it painted or not. Though its black color. Mine is kinda silver color. i dont know if it will help the shop or not but i know the color code name. its written on the door of the car. 

Edited by problemfarang