Window tints that change darkness?

school12

Are there any window tints that can change depending on how much sunlight is hitting them?  I have some tints that are quite dark and during the day they are fine, but at night they are quite dark and dangerous.  I would like to find something that adjusts depending on the amount of light, but I haven't come across anything.   

be interested to know whether the film reacts in the same way as Transitionals/Photochomatic lens tints? - in that the tinting effect is rapid when hit by strong light & much slower to lighten again when entering a darker lighting environment...  

I did a related experiment for my car's rearvision cams... in that instead of a sheet, I used some transitional lenses mounted over the Objective lens of the cams.

The job was simply to help out the cams auto level from being swamped by bright sunlight. Trouble was that upon entering a tunnel for example - the tint stayed Dark for an unworkable length of time...

- so imagine if someone tried to see out their car window whilst driving into a tunnel!! - for those first minutes...

• Like 2

Yes, the tints on our car are very dark. Totally fine in daytime, but awful at night. At night on un-lit roads you have to drive well under the speed limit in order for your braking distance to be within your vision limit.  My wife likes it because of the privacy angle - people cannot see into the car. Toyota delivered it with their recommended tint level; she sent it back and had that removed and fitted with darker stuff. I hate driving at night in it for any length of time. In the UK it is illegal to have any aftermarket tint on the front window or front side windows. Not so here it seems, or as with many things maybe it is but not enforced.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, the tints on our car are very dark. Totally fine in daytime, but awful at night. At night on un-lit roads you have to drive well under the speed limit in order for your braking distance to be within your vision limit.  My wife likes it because of the privacy angle - people cannot see into the car. Toyota delivered it with their recommended tint level; she sent it back and had that removed and fitted with darker stuff. I hate driving at night in it for any length of time. In the UK it is illegal to have any aftermarket tint on the front window or front side windows. Not so here it seems, or as with many things maybe it is but not enforced.

40/60 is the legal limit.  But lots get darker tints like 60/80.  Not legal but never enforced in my experience.  My wife likes dark tints because of migraine issues.  But it is more dangerous driving at night.  I sometime have to roll down the side windows to see clearly.  I too would love to have photochromatic film.

9 minutes ago, rwill said:

40/60 is the legal limit.  But lots get darker tints like 60/80.  Not legal but never enforced in my experience.  My wife likes dark tints because of migraine issues.  But it is more dangerous driving at night.  I sometime have to roll down the side windows to see clearly.  I too would love to have photochromatic film.

It would be interesting to know / see if there is any source for this legal limit (Thai law etc).

I’m not suggesting anyone is correct or incorrect, however, I always understood the legal limit to be 30%. i.e. no more than 30% of visible light is blocked. 

Different manufacturers switch their numbers around - i.e. some quote 30% as the amount of light blocked, where as others would quote 70% for the amount of light transmitted. 

-------

We’ve had a number of cars in Thailand, and I always go for a good film with prevents as much heat transmission while allowing as much light through. 

We have 20% on the front (i.e. 20% of light is blocked) and 25% (I think, on the sides).

Also note, when choosing film that some vehicles already have a minor tint on their windows which adds to the tint on the film. 

-------

Given what a ‘cash-cow’ this could be for the BiB I’m often surprised that there are not more ‘checks’ carried out for these dark tints. It highlights just how lazy the BiB are when so many people drive past them with crazy tint levels, no helmets etc...  they could be making a fortune in fines !

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Photochromic specs lenses react to the UV light, which is mostly blocked by glass/tinting. My specs do not react when I am behind glass.

I must admit I don't notice my specs getting darker in the car, but the tint (legal) is really dark enough on its own.

EDIT If you have Transitions lenses they DO react in the car 

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/photochromic-tech/

And they are available in Thailand ????

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Photochromic specs lenses react to the UV light, which is mostly blocked by glass/tinting. My specs do not react when I am behind glass.

i.e Glass that has something like the ICI Anti-Sun logo...  

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A few years ago, after I had cataract surgery and before a trip to Thailand, I purchased new glasses with transition lenses (photochromic).   In Thailand I found they would only darken in direct sunlight, not in vehicles and not when I wore a hat with a wide brim.  

After the cataract surgery, my eyes were more sensitive to bright lights and especially sunlight.  

I  went back to the optical shop and explained the problem.  They remade my lenses with a more sensitive transition lenses.  Now the lenses will darken when I am in my truck or when wearing a hat.  More when I am only wearing a hat vs being in  my truck and they get much darker in direct sunlight.   But, I still had to buy prescription sunglasses that are darker than the .    It does  cost more for these lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KannikaP said:
6 minutes ago, tifino said:

i.e Glass that has something like the ICI Anti-Sun logo...  

No, any glass.

that is if you have those new fangled new variant Transtionals etc such as in Crossys Link!  

check all your car windows to see what anti sun (if any) label is etched on them... 

I wore photochromatics until over 20 years ago, and after that always Transitionals... the Transitionals yes work fine in Mrs's SX4 but even in my 30 years old then top of the line featured Mazda626 Estate, the Transitionals are rendered useless...  Neither above cars have any aftermarket tints... the 626 has etched anti sun labels, and the SX4 glass is plain untreated for anti sun 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given what a ‘cash-cow’ this could be for the BiB I’m often surprised that there are not more ‘checks’ carried out for these dark tints. It highlights just how lazy the BiB are when so many people drive past them with crazy tint levels, no helmets etc...  they could be making a fortune in fines!

Not likely, have you ever seen the level of tint police vehicles have?

Not a believer in aftermarket tinting. Can cause accidents and damage in low light conditions and heavy rainy weather. Backing into, or colliding with things because you simply can't see properly aint no fun and is avoidable.

I've refused the AMG tinting on all my Benzes for this very reason. Granted the photochromic quality of Benz glass is exceptional but most decent late model cars have solid factory tinting to soften the UV and other light spectrum nastiers.

The custom in Thailand in illegal and ridiculously dark tinting is just that, don't follow suit its rather irresponsible don't you think to tint windows so darkly that unless in bright sunlight your vision is severely impaired while driving a few tonnes of metal along a roadway.

Decent factory tinting is more than enough to cope with UV if you look after your interior. I hail from one of the harshest sunlight countries on the planet, so while Thai light is strong its weak compared to the ferocity of my homeland and my cars have never suffered because of good preventative cleaning and care.

A good, simple care tactic is a portable removable windscreen reflector, side window perforated blinds especially if parking in the open and quality vinyl care produce and leather cream detailing every month or so wil see the interior stay perfect for many years.  It's the old adage  'an ounce of prevention'. Good washing, cleaning, and Carnuba wax for the exterior, and likewise nourishing products for the interior.  

4 hours ago, rwill said:

Expand  

It would be interesting to know / see if there is any source for this legal limit (Thai law etc).

"PHUKET: Phuket’s top traffic policeman, Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, has responded with resignation to yesterday’s announcement in Bangkok that a new law barring heavily tinted windows in vehicles will not be enforced for at least a year. “So what can I do?” said Lt Col Teeraphol. “I don’t make law. I enforce it. So it will be another year [before I can arrest anyone].” The new traffic law, initially supposed to have taken effect next Tuesday, requires that window tints allow at least 40% of light to pass through the glass. “Personally, I think that if the tint is too dark, then it is no good,” Lt Col Teeraphol told the Gazette. “I don’t know about 40% or whatever, but it has to be at a proper level where there is a balance between safety and practicality. Where that is, I don’t know. We should have an expert who can tell. “So for the time being, we’ll just have to wait. It would be good if we had the equipment to check the level of the tint. But we don’t, so we cannot set up a place where people can bring their cars to check whether they have to change the tint. “Over the next year, [the lawmakers] should do some serious research into ways to get the public to really understand why we have to have such a law. The government should use this year to come up with ready answers to all objections.” 

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/Aboutface-tinted-windows

The law never came into effect.

Why cant some "clever sod"  use the liquid crystal technologies they use in  TV/computer screens to make a

"Smart window tint"  totally transparent during the night time ( with engine running)   totally dark whilst parked

( no engine running)   auto and user variable darkness within legal limits during the daytime.   

I’m not suggesting anyone is correct or incorrect, however, I always understood the legal limit to be 30%. i.e. no more than 30% of visible light is blocked. 

Different manufacturers switch their numbers around - i.e. some quote 30% as the amount of light blocked, where as others would quote 70% for the amount of light transmitted. 

-------

We’ve had a number of cars in Thailand, and I always go for a good film with prevents as much heat transmission while allowing as much light through. 

We have 20% on the front (i.e. 20% of light is blocked) and 25% (I think, on the sides).

Also note, when choosing film that some vehicles already have a minor tint on their windows which adds to the tint on the film. 

-------

Given what a ‘cash-cow’ this could be for the BiB I’m often surprised that there are not more ‘checks’ carried out for these dark tints. It highlights just how lazy the BiB are when so many people drive past them with crazy tint levels, no helmets etc...  they could be making a fortune in fines !

Heat reduction from film tint is minimal , it will stop UV rays and prevent fading to interior fabrics . According to Mitsubishi Motors there is no legal guidance on windscreen tint levels .  When I was in the UK 3 years ago , my lady bought a new Mitsubishi Attrage in Thailand and had paid extra for film tint fitted by the main agent . When I returned to Thailand I could barely drive the car at night because of the windscreen too dark , took the car back to the dealer and told them the headlights are lousy and bad night vision . The technician then demonstrated that the tint was the problem ( grade 60 on the screen and recommended by the sales team ) . My lady thought the car would be cooler as also told by sales staff , I had it removed and my lady had a grade 40 fitted but just as bad and now I will not drive at night on unlit roads cos highly dangerous . I had correspondence with Mitsubishi head office Japan who refused to get involved and saying all Thai car sales are franchises and up to them cos no legal limits on screen film in Thailand .

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, Crossy said:

Photochromic window film is definitely available, you can get it from China on Lazada.

Whether any tint shops here would have it is another question.

Only way to find out would be to ask. Oh, and it's not cheap.

Cheap Charlie solution, darkest legal tint, photochromic spectacles. Works like a charm for me day and night ????

Thank you.  Where would one find photochromic spectacles?  

I took a look at Lazada and there seems to be quite a few sellers, however I didn't see any feedback from a single seller, so I'm a bit skeptical.

3 minutes ago, school12 said:

Thank you.  Where would one find photochromic spectacles?  

I took a look at Lazada and there seems to be quite a few sellers, however I didn't see any feedback from a single seller, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Do note the later comments that photochromic specs may not darken or may darken less if you have UV blocking film already.

Also:-

On 4/22/2021 at 11:35 AM, Crossy said:

If you have Transitions lenses they DO react in the car 

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/photochromic-tech/

And they are available in Thailand ????

There are Thai dealer locations on the "where to buy" page.

• Like 1