Foreigners on Samui reminded to wear masks or face 20k baht fine

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

Thai media Manager in their headline and text on a report about the rise in Covid-19 cases in Koh Samui pointed their finger at foreigners not following the rules.

While most Thais inside and outside the Mae Nam market - both customers and traders - were properly masked up foreigners living on the island were flouting the rules, they claimed.

They published no further pictures or evidence of their assertions. 

But they called the foreigners' actions "lacking consciousness" or awareness.

One line said they were "choey" or unwilling to comply.

The media further reported that 36 people were in Koh Samui Hospital with Covid. 

The governor of Surat Thai province has issued a warning that fines of 20,000 baht will be levied on people not wearing masks.

But yesterday officials at the market were just advising people to wear them and not allowing entry to people who were not. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-21

17 hours ago, webfact said:

But yesterday officials at the market were just advising people to wear them and not allowing entry to people who were not. 

i don't think any foreigners were going on that market, were anyone fined?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

While most Thais inside and outside the Mae Nam market - both customers and traders - were properly masked up foreigners living on the island were flouting the rules, they claimed

Blame goes both ways.

More BS from Koh Samui. Has one of your contributors moved to Samui?  20,000 baht fine, from whom?  They can't even issue fines for not wearing helmets, this place is a freaking JOKE!!!  You hardly see Police here unless they setup a road block OUTSIDE the Police station.  Not kidding, they can't even bother to hide let alone walk around a market and issue 20k fines.  Stop being silly and reporting dribble from useless Politicians mouths.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, crazykopite said:

So foreigners are at fault again never Thais ! come to Koh Phangan stand on the side of the road and watch how many Thais are ignoring the advice more than 50 % don’t were asks they only put them on when they have to so if there going to administer a 20,000 baht fine it has to be for everyone Thais should not be exempt from the fine 

Don't know where you are at in Phangan but my experience is pretty much the opposite. Majority of Thais wearing masks while majority of foreigners don't. just to share the other side of the same coin

• Like 2

On 4/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, kotsak said:

Meanwhile drive like a tard risking lives and pay a few hundred baht fine..

Respectfully, your simile is false. Retarded people can and do think, albeit slowly. 

The native drivers simply choose not to think about consequences at all. Neither murder, death, or the fines deter them.

Their daily road antics would be laughable if they weren't so deadly. 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:57 AM, FitnessHealthTravel said:

More BS from Koh Samui. Has one of your contributors moved to Samui?  20,000 baht fine, from whom?  They can't even issue fines for not wearing helmets, this place is a freaking JOKE!!!  You hardly see Police here unless they setup a road block OUTSIDE the Police station.  Not kidding, they can't even bother to hide let alone walk around a market and issue 20k fines.  Stop being silly and reporting dribble from useless Politicians mouths.

Hahaha - don't be silly! They DO issue fines. Just not day-in and day-out. I mean, it's an island - far too much like hard work.

The Samui police have set up road blocks outside their police stations (naturally; what else?) and are now fining everyone 2,000B for riding past them and not wearing a mask. 

Reports are that they are doing very well at this new tea money scheme. After all, there's only one road on Samui and it goes around in a circle. They can't miss.

However, as usual, unless their station boss has said "right fellas we're doing masks today", all the other days of the week you can ride around maskless and nobody in uniform will give a t@ss - just like they don't with helmets either.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, kotsak said:

Meanwhile drive like a tard risking lives and pay a few hundred baht fine..

Yes..the Russian bikers are the worst some people think but  a communicable disease  in times of a pandemic has no relevance to foreigners driving badly..Just wear your mask, driver cautiously and take care of your own behavior.

6 hours ago, robsamui said:

Hahaha - don't be silly! They DO issue fines. Just not day-in and day-out. I mean, it's an island - far too much like hard work.

The Samui police have set up road blocks outside their police stations (naturally; what else?) and are now fining everyone 2,000B for riding past them and not wearing a mask. 

Reports are that they are doing very well at this new tea money scheme. After all, there's only one road on Samui and it goes around in a circle. They can't miss.

However, as usual, unless their station boss has said "right fellas we're doing masks today", all the other days of the week you can ride around maskless and nobody in uniform will give a t@ss - just like they don't with helmets either.

You won't be allowed to move around maskless from now on..You have been warned LOL. About time too!!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You won't be allowed to move around maskless from now on..You have been warned LOL. About time too!!

I've always worn a mask. Why on earth would you think differently, other than cognitive disadvantages?

Edited by robsamui

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes..the Russian bikers are the worst some people think but  a communicable disease  in times of a pandemic has no relevance to foreigners driving badly..Just wear your mask, driver cautiously and take care of your own behavior.

Yeah, I love that. Moron foreigners riding like maniacs with no helmets, shirts or brains...BUT wearing a mask hahaha 

Phuket and Samui have tough roads ahead. Really tough. And they are getting zero assistance from the lame army. That is for sure. 

Having lived on Samui for nearly a decade, some years back (the golden years of Samui, perhaps), felt very sad on my recent visit. Very hard to see the locals suffering like this. Hundreds of hotels, restaurants, stores, galleries, pharmacies, opticians (Samui already had way too many!), massage shops, and other businesses have already closed permanently, and I am told that most which have "under renovation" signs on them, are closed for good too. Lamai and Chaweng are particularly hard hit. Bank Rak, Bhoput, and Maenam do not feel quite as devastated. It does feel a bit like visiting after some sort of apocalypse. 

In terms of the vampiric management of tourists, one of the reasons I left Samui, was the attitude of alot of the locals. Back before the Apocalypse many of them were very jaded, and they seemed to be indifferent, and service suffered as a result of that. Less so with the Burmese workers, as they tend to be quite kind and helpful. Also, there is little to no local pride, as most who are from Samui left long ago, after selling their land. That hurts. It was hard living in a place where most of the locals just did not seem to care about the island.

Sometimes, the place felt like a year old dishrag in a diner kitchen. Most of the people there for the past 10 years are transplants, who do not care about keeping up the island. The ex-pats always seemed more concerned about maintaining the cleanliness, than the locals. 

There does not appear to be any end in sight for the Southern Islands. Domestic tourism has now been wrecked due to a very poor reaction by Anutin and the administration, with regard to the need for a total shutdown of Samut province, which happened far too late, after the latest outbreak. It was total and abysmal failure. Oh, can I go to prison for saying that? 

I still love living in Thailand. The islands are not what they used to be. I would not return to Samui to live. Koh Phangan is gorgeous, progressive and lovely. That might be a better choice, if you can handle the youngsters and hipsters and isolation.