Siriraj Hospital appeals for blood donations

Jonathan Fairfield

srj.jpg

บริจาคเลือด

The blood bank at Siriraj Hospital is running low on all blood types due to reduced donations during the COVID-19 outbreak, according to Assoc. Prof. Dr. Parichart Permpikul, head of the Siriraj’s transfusion medicine department at Mahidol University.

Siriraj Hospital still has a large number of surgical patients who need blood, and is appealing for healthy people to donate blood and help save lives.

Dr. Parichart said that the Siriraj Blood Donation Centre has a high standard of COVID-19 screening. Every donor and employee takes a temperature check before entering the center. All of the employees had a risk assessment for COVID-19 before working. All of the equipment and the area are also sterilized frequently.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/siriraj-hospital-appeals-for-blood-donations/

Logo-top-.png

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Give my beautiful healthy falang blood regularly at the R Cross in Phuket ???????? Least I can do I reckon for living in such an awesome place amongst such great people ????????

No problem with giving blood, just with Siri then wanting to price gouge me for COVID test and vaccine when Thais get no charge.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, EricTh said:

Giving blood donations during this time is quite risky.

as much as being anywhere in the public place, yet all of us are still doing hospital appointments, shopping, working.

We should not get obsessed with being locked at home.

I will go there, it will be the first time in my life. 

That's at such times we have to show our compassion, there would be many covid patients waiting for transfusions, later for different organ transplants

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

as much as being anywhere in the public place, yet all of us are still doing hospital appointments, shopping, working.

We should not get obsessed with being locked at home.

I will go there, it will be the first time in my life. 

That's at such times we have to show our compassion, there would be many covid patients waiting for transfusions, later for different organ transplants

I am talking about most people and not everybody. Of course, you are one of the rare ones.

Do report to us if the donation room is full of donors or you are the only one donating. 

I applaud you for your compassion.

Edited by EricTh

I went there several days ago, but too late, they close at 4pm. If they are desperate, they should run it 24h.

Hospital starts crowding at 6am, when outpatients come to register and after have many hours waiting for a laboratory, check up, treatment etc.

Googlemaps mistakenly points this address to the building above the post office, so I was directed to the new branch, across the road and 50 m to left.

Today I was refused, because I had hepatitis B as a child. But they did mention it in the leaflet, other many health conditions were.

Probably I have known about B not being able to give blood, but it evaporated from my memory, and there is always chance that medical advances in cleaning blood would allow to donor for many new groups. Also they could always give my blood to the other patients already infected with B.

Before I managed to get to doctor, the nurse in the reception did not understand and told me to go somewhere else. I have returned after double checking it's the proper place (on this clinic is only thai signage). Another receptionist was also hesitant so I have soldiered on further, to the room where senior nurses sit.

First question about passport, so I gave them my hospital card (registered with them since 2014). They were not happy, because they are not connected to the hospital system at all.

So registration from the beginning and copy of my pass from my smartphone.

Doctor again wanted my passport. Stated, that I must be thai resident, which I am not, but he mixed up "resident" with "residence", a place of abode. Started to check my details, country of origin (as if it mattered much), as if he was an immigration officer, and with  a very similar attitude towards me.

There were nowhere any display, signs, arrows about blood centre. Instead I have seen probably 20 nurses and 2-3 patients beside me.

So with  such poor performance I am not surprised they are running low on blood. 

As a souvenir I have kept a face shield which they gave me after checking blood pressure.  Will come handy.

Edited by internationalism