700,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in 50 days

Jonathan Fairfield

be5b675ec9ed7b50c186f5a653a3e86b_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Concerning the speed of Thailand’s COVID-19 vaccination program, almost 700,000 doses out of 1 million doses have been administered in 50 days. The doses were from the first two lots delivered to Thailand in February and March. The Ministry of Public Health has confirmed that the speed of vaccine administration is in accordance with the vaccination program. The third lot, which arrived at the beginning of April, is now being given to frontline medical workers. Members of the public can register for vaccination next month.

Thailand received the first lot of 200,000 doses of China’s Sinovac vaccine and 117,600 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine on February 24. The country received the second lot of 800,000 Sinovac vaccine doses on March 22 and the third lot of 1 million Sinovac vaccine doses on April 10. So far, Thailand has received a total of 2,117,600 doses of COVID-19 vaccines from both Sinovac and AstraZeneca.

The first two lots were distributed to all 77 provinces. The first shot was administered on February 28, and 618,583 doses were administered up until April 18. During the 50-day period, 535,925 people were given their first shots, and 82,658 people received their second shots. The Ministry of Public Health insists that the speed of administration is in accordance with its vaccination program.

Dr. Chawetsan Namwat, Acting Director of the Emergency Disease and Health Hazards Control Division, said

"Our vaccine administration is not slow. The available vaccines are given according to plan. The number is low because we had a limited supply of vaccines initially. Still, we’re able to administer more than our neighboring countries. Vietnam administered 50,000 doses. Cambodia administered 400,000 doses. But if you compare us with Indonesia, it’s conducting joint research with China. Vaccine efficacy is not yet known as many shots were administered. You may not be able to make a comparison. As for Thailand, the main vaccine, AstraZeneca, will arrive in June. Our vaccine administration will certainly speed up."

Concerning the third lot of 1 million Sinovac vaccine doses, the ministry is administering 599,800 doses to frontline medical workers before the end of this month. Another 100,000 doses are being given to people in red-zone areas, particularly Bangkok and surrounding provinces. Meanwhile, 147,200 doses have been allocated to people with congenital diseases, with shots to be given by the hospital holding the patient’s medical records. In addition, 54,320 doses are for police and military officers on the front line and government officials, including Members of Parliament (MPs). They have to meet and interact with the public. The ministry is keeping the remaining 98,680 doses in case of emergencies in various areas.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is the main vaccine selected to inoculate people in Thailand, and it will be ready for use in June. The vaccination plan is divided into two phases, with 26 million doses to be distributed to target provinces in the first phase and 35 million in the second. In the first phase, 6 million doses will be distributed in June, 10 million in July, and another 10 million in August. In the next phase, 10 million doses will be distributed in September, 10 million in October, 10 million in November, and 5 million in December.

About 1,000 public and private hospitals will help administer the vaccines. Major subdistrict health-promoting hospitals in some areas may join the vaccination program to speed up the process.

The general public can register for shots of the AstraZeneca vaccine in June. The Ministry of Public Health will open the Mor Prom (Doctor’s Ready) registration account on the LINE application next month. People who wish to register can also contact local public health officials and volunteers. People with congenital diseases can receive the vaccine at their local hospital.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210421164202116

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, JackGats said:

700k is what Brazil or Germany now apply in a single day, and these countries are slow compared to the US.

The US is now averaging about 3 million shots per day.  Sundays are slow - around a million.  It's taken 4 months to ramp up to this level.  But with 31.5 million cases and 564K deaths it's a priority.

image.png.11115c2e62340f0742a5df7a448142a7.png

daily count of doses since mid-Dec. 2020

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

700k is what Brazil or Germany now apply in a single day, and these countries are slow compared to the US.

Totally agree, also the UK was administering around this amount of vaccine each day, Thailand's efforts are pathetic or should it read the governments efforts, 700,000 in 50 day is just not good enough. 

1 hour ago, rasmus5150 said:

But it's a matter of getting enough vaccines that dictates the pace.

It's not because that the US nurses are much faster at jabbing people - they just have enough vaccines.

Agreed,  but who's fault is that, all Countries started off on the same starting block,  but Thailand or the government wanted to crawl to the finish as other Countries sprinted to obtain vaccine, and if you remember early last year the PM told the people, don't worry the virus will just blow away.... Then he stated in April 2020 the virus doesn't like the hot weather so won't affect Thailand.... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

But it's a matter of getting enough vaccines that dictates the pace.

It's not because that the US nurses are much faster at jabbing people - they just have enough vaccines.

1.2 billion doses, actually. 

23 minutes ago, HenryPattaya said:

700000 in 50 days Thats 14000 a day   X 365days a year that just over 5 million a year and population is 65,000,000 so thats 13 yrs for everyone to get 1 shot is my calculations correct 

lol it doesn't work like that. 

The U.K. does that amount in 48 hours having quickly worked out how many Thais would be vaccinated in a year I make it 5 million 110 thousand on the figure of 700,000 every 50 days and as Thailand has a population of 65+ million it’s going to take years to vaccinate everyone .

So 73 million at 2 shots each is 146 million.  70,000 in 50 days.  That's  511,000/ years.   I double checked my math.  will take 285 years at this rate.    of course they say herd immunity is 60%>.  Let's say they speed up by factor of 10 to 7 million in 50 days.  that's still  470 days then or  near 2023

Edited by Elkski
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Very true I’m convinced the buffoon believed Thailand was immune to Covid so much so he allowed millions to travel over SONGKRAN and look what’s happened every single day more and more people are getting the virus . As for the field hospitals I saw a picture of one yesterday beds lined up maybe 60/90 cm apart and not an electrical socket in site nor did I see any breathing apparatus I think you have more chance of getting worse and even dying if you went into one of them rather than stay at home 

My personal opinion is that the govt. have deliberately put Thai lives at risk by pursuing a course of action designed to profit and continue a narrative arc.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Of course you're right, the real test will come in June when they promise us millions a month from SiamBioscience

SiamBioscience will produce the AstraZeneca vaccine, a vaccine already restricted to the elderly in many countries and might even be banned altogether a few months from now.

7 minutes ago, JackGats said:

SiamBioscience will produce the AstraZeneca vaccine, a vaccine already restricted to the elderly in many countries and might even be banned altogether a few months from now.

I somehow doubt it will be banned altogether and those countries that have restricted its use to the elderly are still making very good use of it protecting them. The data shows your more likely to die of a lightening strike than get hit by a serious blood clot with AZ

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

that means some 140mln doses (roughly what thailand needs) would take 1000 days, 3 years.

thank you for your speedy work

5 hours ago, Elkski said:

So 73 million at 2 shots each is 146 million.  70,000 in 50 days.  That's  511,000/ years.   I double checked my math.  will take 285 years at this rate.    of course they say herd immunity is 60%>.  Let's say they speed up by factor of 10 to 7 million in 50 days.  that's still  470 days then or  near 2023

Yes, very drole & original. Also repeated 2-3 other times in the thread.

Of course, as they have very limited vaccine supply, it’s difficult to actually vaccinate in numbers, but I am sure you know that. 

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

pff 700,00 in 50 days, triple check your math, 30 years

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Less than 1% of the population while Cambodia has managed a whopping 6%.

Way to go Thailand!

Cambodia has only 15 million residents while Thailand has 70 million. More if you count the foreigners in Thailand.

Edited by EricTh